Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

synthetic, oil pressure, drip, frozen buns and anti-freeze fried chicken

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
synthetic, oil pressure, drip, frozen buns and anti-freeze fried chicken

I know it's a strange title but bear with me.

I did an oil change on the rig last week and went with Royal Purple in a 10W-30. Yesterday I was under the truck doing some things and noticed that there were two drops of oil on the ground. The oil on the ground was really dirty and I'm hoping that it was just run off from the mess that the oil change turned into. I can't seem to find anywhere where the motor is "damp" like it has a leak. Thoughts?

I also noticed that my oil pressure (once the motor is warmed up) is a little lower than normal, is this common with synthetic?

Frozen buns...... For some reason the extended cab in my truck refuses to warm up no matter how high I have the heater and as a result my butt is frozen by the time I get to work. The cold sneaks in through the back of the seat where the gap between top and bottom is located. Any ideas on how to insulate the back end?

Last but not least I noticed an anti-freeze-fried-chicken smell this morning whe I got to work and turned off the heater. The smell was only there for a few seconds right after I shut the heater and truck off and I haven't smelled it again on the couple of trips I've made around town. Anyone else smell something like this?

Thank you for your time.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Synthetic oil could have cleaned out some crud by a seal and now it's leaking. I put synthetic in my subi and a piece of crud broke loose in the motor and the dipstick read almost empty. I put in 4qts thinking it was dry and all of a sudden the dipstick showed 8qts. I found out that on old engines, using synthetic is a good way to find leaks.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old mineral oil can form a varnish that seals up some minor leaks, the synthetic dissolves that and you get a leak.

I noticed a drop in oil pressure after synthetic of the same weight. I don't think this is a problem, but lets hear other people's opinions.

Stop driving naked. I have no sympathy regarding cold for someone who lives in a place with Mexico in the name :hillbill You could run a piece of duct tape along the outside of the seat crack. Or puts several blankets on the seat.

Pinhole leak in the heater core perhaps? Monitor the coolant level, and it should be fine.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Does the heater put out hot air? Mine puts out pretty warm air (im assuming the vents are clogged with 10 years of dog hair) and it will get the interior pretty toasty.

I would replace some door seals. I need to get a kit for mine, I can hear the road between the gap!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your t-stat could be stuck open if the oil was dirty and nothing under it and thats all you found no more then yeah it could have just been run off on the diff

for the syn crap oh yeah if you didnt run a cleaner though it before you changed the oil you just wasted alot of money my friend i ran amsoil in my rig and the oil pressure was very low but constant my guess is that its thinner

and like jay said if you hear the road then you need new seals but fo rthe time beeing you can take a old shirt and stick it in the cap on you rseat or buy seat covers
Old 12-19-2008, 07:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by just a 22re
for the syn crap oh yeah if you didnt run a cleaner though it before you changed the oil you just wasted alot of money my friend i ran amsoil in my rig and the oil pressure was very low but constant my guess is that its thinner
Cleaner?
Old 12-19-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes when i got my amsoil i ran a cleaner though the truck with the old oil to get everything out that way the syn will work the way it should ask a amsoil dealer theres a few here i think this stuff

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/aef.aspx
Old 12-19-2008, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just switched the hilux from 15w-40 summer oil to its 0w40 synthetic..
my oil pressure dropped a little but starts much easyier in the -40..