86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Question

So, first time posting but I have been poking around for a while trying to find the answer to my question and can't seem to find what I am really looking for. I have '90 Pickup Ext cab 4x4 that I picked up for winter beater/Home Depot run/taking the kids camping sort of stuff and the steering and suspension has gotten to the point where it needs replacing like yesterday. Got all the steering stuff pretty much sorted but alittle question with the suspension. I have a topper and the rear end is sagging pretty good so I was looking at replacing the rear springs with the OME mediums. They seem to be the cheapest for a slight step above OEM. The shock ars some Pro Comp Explorers that have seen some better days and with the shocks I'm kinda stuck. OME shocks seems to be really nice, but pricey for what I am using the truck for (little over 3k miles in 1.5 years). So I was looking at the KYB Monomax, which are about half the OME and get really good reviews. I don't really see myself really using the truck for any crazy offroading or anything like that (maybe a few fireroads getting to camping site), I just would like a decent set of shocks while staying with in budget. Anyone with any experience with the KYB's or is there another brand out there that I should look at?
Old 06-07-2017, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not know how bad you are sagging, but those OME Mediums will lift your rear end 4", which is a dramatic change. Many that have attempted to address the sag wound up buying those springs and having a rear that was way to high for the stock front. I recommend new stock leaf packs, or a quality long and soft add-a-leaf to beef up the rear pack. Show us a picture, but I am willing to bet 2" is closer to the goal. Many do not like to admit their mistakes but I know quite a few had to modify the OME mediums and remove a leaf and/or lift the front as well to balance out the suspension.

Last edited by 89fourrunner; 06-07-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a pic, it's up on jack stands but the rear is resting on the axel so that is current ride height. The only reason I was looking at the OME springs over a standard replacement is the fact that they are about the same price (around 320 a set) but should be able to take the constant weight of the topper better. But I was really more interested about feedback on the shocks, anyone have any feedback there?
Old 06-07-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I have OME medium Dakar's on my 1993. Yes, the initial lift was like 4" difference -- mainly because it was sagging like 2" from stock height and they are advertised as being about 1-2" over stock height. I think with your shell on the back/extra weight you may be ok with slapping them on and not having too much rake. If you're keeping stockish size tires or not going with any other mods on the front end, I'd just keep stock shackle height. I decided to keep my stock shackles because I was afraid of going to tall in back with the spring lift + extra height from longer shackles -- but later I added BJ spacers and more t-bar lift to finalize my ride height when I swapped to larger tires and to level it out. Now that it's all been finalized for the last few years I could see the longer shackles working out. I believe my current broken-in ride height is 22.5" on all 4 corners from the bottom of my fenders to the middle of my axles. I also ended up triangulating my rear shocks to get more articulation out of the rear, it will be unnecessary for you. I'm sure you'll be ok with any shock choice, I got the OME because I had the $ and it's what they suggested as the "ideal" pairing with their leaf springs (of course they would!)
You can lookup my post history I'm sure theres enough pics of the setup, if not let me know I might have more somewhere

Last edited by highonpottery; 06-07-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
..., the initial lift was like 4" difference -- mainly because it was sagging like 2" from stock height and they are advertised as being about 1-2" over stock height.
Correct. OME lists it as 2-inch lift.
O.P.,
Someone somewhere on the forum mentioned Skyjackers from Summit Racing. Lifts 1" above stock. I like that.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Correct. OME lists it as 2-inch lift.
O.P.,
Someone somewhere on the forum mentioned Skyjackers from Summit Racing. Lifts 1" above stock. I like that.
Sadly they list at $377 and I don't think that includes shipping.