86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

suggestions for interior panels,upholstery

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suggestions for interior panels,upholstery

I'm a little in the dark about who to get my interior panels for my doors from. i would appreciate suggestions from anyone who has already replaced theirs.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I made new ones for mine. I don't know of any after-market replacements. The factory ones are expensive ($200-$300 each, I think).
Old 01-01-2008, 04:04 PM

Funny you should ask this....I have a friend who's Boyfriend does custom upholstrey work and I just sked him about this. I am making arrangements for him to see my truck and take some measurements. Maybe if enough people are interested he would like to do a group discount and make some extra cash for himself.

I've scene his work for some other vehicles (mainly classic car restorations) and it's good. I can't promise anything but once I fid out I'll share on here.

In the meantime, InternetRoadkill would you mind posting up some pics or linking to a thread about yours? Thanks
-=Morphine=-
Old 01-02-2008, 06:47 AM

Here's what the interior looks like now. It still needs carpet which is on my wish list.

The door panel was made by stripping the hardware from the old panel and using the old hardboard backing as a template for a new one. I bought some hardboard at Lowes and cut it out using a band saw and router.

The top portion of the door panel is just stamped steel with some vinyl glued to it. I stripped the old cover off and put some new padding on it and recovered it using marine grade vinyl. It was glued in place using contact cement.

The lower half is a mix of upholstery and vinyl. I kept the pattern simple since my sewing skills are limited. I glued some padding underneath and then glued the fabric over that again using spray contact cement.

It's not going to win any show awards, but it's neat and doesn't have any tears in it now.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Nice looks real luxury like, if you got a pickup (you dont have a sig and I cant really tell by the pic) get the carpet of ebay, it is pre molded for yotas and cut to factory specs for like a 100 and some change with some nice padding!

Good lookin job on the panels.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:54 AM

It's a truck.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:14 PM

yotas are some of the easiest door panels to redo. they are flat, and cardboard. an arm rest, a window crank hole and a door handle. i personally perfer them without a top panel, i like the painted part. reminds me of our old dodges. im going to be doing something on my 92 yota soon. just something simple. and i have some sweet old toyota wagon cranks with a stripe of stainless on the arm, and a circle on the knob. probably wrap my arm rests though, and paint the handles. might run something else since all it does is pulls a steel bar. pretty universal. could move it elsewhere too.

at pacific fabrics (not sure if its a chain or not) they have some black vinyl i call patchwork vinyl. its got a pattern printed onto it that looks like an old patchwork quilt. lots of stitches and shapes. its cool. different. ill probably use that and some faux leather. (Whisper Vinyl from Joann. awesome quality, looks and feels like leather, 15 bucks/yard.) console will get some vinyl and a stainless top panel. im a minitrucker, and a punk kid so it very well might get some plaid or argyle too. id like to run a stripe of studs around the dash or something too. ill post more when i get something done. money is tight. but yeah, go for it man. get some fabric and do them up yourself. 3M Super 77 glue and some vinyl.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:12 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill

It's a truck.
My bad I couldnt tell in the small pic either.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:04 PM

I have a lot of hours in my money pit so far ,I was hoping for an easy fix. I do have an upholstery stapler,super 77,and numerous carpenter tools.I guess it won't kill me to handle this project as well. I think I will also go the carpet and vinyl route.nice........... without being too fancy.thank you for all pics and advice.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:10 PM

The interior job looks great! If you're looking for carpeting or vinyl for your Runner...have you checked out RockAuto.com yet? I believe they carry it for your truck. I know they do for the pickup...and it's cheaper than $100. I was thinking of getting myself the molded vinyl flooring for it since it's mostly a wheeling rig and I hate to Herc the inside of a truck. I would venture a guess and say that they do indeed carry it for your 4Runner.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
It's a truck.
looks like your truck is poopin a couch
nice panels.
i have mine on my balcony, and i gotta do them soon.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 AM

The 'couch' coming out the back is actually what's left of an 88 4R I'm parting out. It has a brown tarp over it so that the neighbors don't complain about it.

I've seen the carpets on ebay for $100. But considering that I've spent a boatload of money fixing it up, I'm going to go ahead and get some good carpet for it. Another $100 or so isn't going to matter at this point.

I found carpet at this one dealer which is extra weight and has a heavy vinyl backing on it to provide additional sound deadening. It's close to $300 for the complete interior which sounds bad, but it's comparable to buying carpet and sound deadening separately.