Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Straighten Out A Pillar

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straighten Out A Pillar

Hey guys,

I'm trying to get my 90' 4runner that has been rolled up and running again. Basically all it needs is a new windshield. If I can get one to fit then I'll keep this 4runenr project going instead of junking it. I've popped the roof mostly back into place with a porta power but it looks like the A pillars on both sides have shifted slightly. I noticed this when I put the old cracked windshield back into place just to see how things would line up. With that being said, I'm just looking for tips on how to get the A Pillar shifted back an inch or so. I'm thinking of using a come along against a tree or even a securing a 2x4 to the a pillar and go at it with a sledge hammer?

Old 02-22-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
In both pictures there looks to be evidence of rust around the windshield. If there is more than what I see the windshield area is going to be problematic even if you get it factory straight.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:06 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Probably have to go from the left sides middle body mount, seats out, this will push it out and forward. There are lots of layers there, typically you could work that huge divot flat and it would push the rest out.

Drivers side looks like it needs to come forward more, that will stand it up more.

Really depends on how much you want to put into it.. Cut it out, Knock out the welds, reform the little bits and put them back.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
In both pictures there looks to be evidence of rust around the windshield. If there is more than what I see the windshield area is going to be problematic even if you get it factory straight.
There is some surface rust but it can easily be taken off with a wire wheel.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Probably have to go from the left sides middle body mount, seats out, this will push it out and forward. There are lots of layers there, typically you could work that huge divot flat and it would push the rest out.

Drivers side looks like it needs to come forward more, that will stand it up more.

Really depends on how much you want to put into it.. Cut it out, Knock out the welds, reform the little bits and put them back.
Awesome I will try that.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have heard that when the A-pillar is damaged in accidents it totals the vehicle since they are very difficult to straighten. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul H.
I have heard that when the A-pillar is damaged in accidents it totals the vehicle since they are very difficult to straighten. Good luck with whatever you do.
This is a good point and likely has alot more to do with the structural integrity then the cost. All the layers are what give the rigidity, the effect of bending all this back out is a bit of an unknown.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:22 AM

^ definitely something to consider. It's not a daily driver though but I still might be better off starting with a new 4runner it seems. If I had space and a shop I could keep this one as a parts truck but I'll most likely have to sell it if I can.

Last edited by mattyboi; 02-23-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Exclamation

If I recall you could not find parts .
So welding new (used) A pillars and the front section of the roof most likely will not happen
Old 02-23-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If I recall you could not find parts .
So welding new (used) A pillars and the front section of the roof most likely will not happen
Yup been looking for months. Found a few good ones but they needed to be towed 100's of miles to get home and not really worth the hassle. I can get an A pillar but not really confident in my welding abilities to work on structural components.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

There has to be someone close that would feel comfortable doing it at a reasonable price.

I understand this is low budget project .

Don`t go the hammer method !!
Old 02-23-2018, 03:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
This is a good point and likely has alot more to do with the structural integrity then the cost. All the layers are what give the rigidity, the effect of bending all this back out is a bit of an unknown.
Like Co and Paul suggest you could spend a lot of time "straightening" something that will never be as good as it was before. Depending on how far down the pillar(s) the damage is it seems like replacement with an unrolled one will be the better option.