Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Stealth Snorkel (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stealth Snorkel (pics)

Finally made the Stealth Snorkel. Later on i'm going to fab it to connect to a Safari snorkel. It should work pretty well for now unless I either dunk more then half of my front clip under or go deeper then half way up my doors. Either way, I think i'll have more to worry about then the snorkel if that were to happen. This way i'll feel better if I have to take a lil running start to get through a mudhole.

What I used:
(2ft) of 3" exhaust pipe
(4) 3" hose clamps
(1) 3" 90' elbow http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...gory_Code=9DEH
(1) 3" "cobra head" http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/mer...gory_Code=CHEW
(1) air flow sensor adaptor (vib-1998) http://www.statracing.com/buy/vibrant-maf-adapter.asp
(4) 6mmx1.0 3/4" bolts and nuts

2 things I need to mention. The airbox is not in the original spot. I still have to mount it. You'll see in the pic. It's about 1 1/2" toward the firewall. Also, you might have to use a different intake hose from the airbox to the throttlebody because of the airbox's new home. Mine is not original. It's a junkyard special.

I used black rtv sealant around the mass air plate and any other holes for extra insurance against leaks.

The inner fender cover had to be trimmed to put back in place. I just used the rear half to avoid splashing toward the snorkel intake.

I cut a 2" section of the pipe to use as a coupler for the 2 hoses. Also, I trimmed the AFM plate and both hoses down for clearance around the headlight plug and better radius to get between the fenders.

Enjoy:

Name:  snorkel001.jpg
Views: 3861
Size:  194.0 KB

Name:  snorkel002.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  168.8 KB

Name:  snorkel003.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  188.1 KB

Hope it helps. Good luck.

Last edited by jusfloorit; 06-08-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:47 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks Good man !!!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:58 PM

Nice, very nice, are you gonna just throw a cone on it there or are you routing it through the fender. Or maybe in through the firewall. That way if your knee is dry...

My problem with snorks was always the power loss from adding intake tubing. Have you noticed anything like that. I have no experience to truth or false
Old 06-08-2009, 07:08 PM

No it stays open there. It goes into the airbox so it's filtered there.

I haven't got to drive it yet. Although I shouldn't have any power loss with the 3" plumbing. The cobra head 90' is designed to make a tight turn without any restriction. Check out the link for it. It's really an interesting piece. Besides, the opening for the air flow meter is only like 1 3/4 by 1 3/4 so that would be the only restriction.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sweet sweet
Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 PM

That looks awesome. So that round adapter piece will bolt right to our stock afm?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 PM

No, but they have one there (vib-1996) that does. All you will need then is a cone filter and presto! Cheap cold air!!

As a matter of fact, i'll post that up on a new thread.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Nice, great links too!!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:14 PM

OK this got me thinking (I hate that, because it might end up costing money I don't have right now)
At the open end of the pipe bolting another flange to the outer fender, with an appropriate hole, screen, and trim ring
when time to play in water/mud comes, remove trim ring to expose some rivnuts, nutserts, or what have you, and bolt on a higher level snorkel built in a similar fashion, held on at the roof line with a bracket under the door.

This is an idea that has been bouncing through my skull for awhile, and it is the first time that I saw the attachment to the stock air box that would work, and a flange for the fender that might work.
Thanks for the links
Old 06-09-2009, 08:06 AM

So you're saying a detachable upper snorkel?
Sounds interesting. As long as you can get a weathertight fit at that attachment point you're golden!
Good luck with your brainstorm. Glad I could help.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 AM

I am thinking an O ring at the connection would work, but alas it is truly a brainstorm at this point, as other responsibility's are taking the bulk of the money at the moment
Old 06-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by firemaniac
OK this got me thinking (I hate that, because it might end up costing money I don't have right now)
At the open end of the pipe bolting another flange to the outer fender, with an appropriate hole, screen, and trim ring
when time to play in water/mud comes, remove trim ring to expose some rivnuts, nutserts, or what have you, and bolt on a higher level snorkel built in a similar fashion, held on at the roof line with a bracket under the door.

This is an idea that has been bouncing through my skull for awhile, and it is the first time that I saw the attachment to the stock air box that would work, and a flange for the fender that might work.
Thanks for the links
That's a cool idea maniac... and you'd have that cool retro/bling side mesh intake screen too...
Old 06-09-2009, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good idea jusfloorit and firemaniac you are onto a good one also...
Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
great info..looking forward to the finished product

whathave you done to relocate the ECU, waterproof ignition etc?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
damn, that is one blue ass truck! looks much better than stock! i know you mentioned maybe connecting it to an exterior snorkel, but until then i'd be skeptical crossing water the way it is. my concern would be the wave of water that goes up into the wheelwell, hits the top/rear, then splashes forward and right into your new intake tube.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 PM

blue?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:47 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
damn, that is one blue ass truck!.
um, brian, his truck is purple... REALLY purple...
Old 06-09-2009, 03:07 PM

thats a killer puprle too.. not like its faded and blown out and kinda-sorta-maybe blueish lol
Old 06-10-2009, 12:50 AM

I have seen people do 2 things with the in-fender snorkel. One is to run the intake tube to one side of the cabin air intake on the wiper cowl. Some say that works fine. I wouldn't do it to mine, but it sure is 'stealthy' like the thread says... The second one is running a sort of (or an actual surplus) intake like the hummer has. They have a small pre-filter sticking up on the hood area, and offer a water fording kit which is basically an extension pipe that can be fitted. I guess you could do a hybrid of the two, and run the removable pipe through that section of the wiper cowl, but that would sure impede driving visibility. My personal favorite, for both style and effectiveness, involves powder coated or painted metal tubing (bent by an exhaust shop once you figure out where to run the thing) run right up the A-pillar.
Here is the thread for Blizzard's snorkel, one of the best I've seen:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...uild-up-79074/
Safari offers their cutesy water draining snorkel end that you can order, but I like getting real pre-filters. You can find one at any industrial equipment or tractor supply store, let alone the variety you can find online.
Myself, I have a cold air intake, so my advise is clearly worth what you pay for it. I dont trust my darnded 3.slow to power me through water deep enough to drown it anyhow, so I don't see hydrolock being an issue for me anytime in the near future. Good luck and post pictures of what you come up with.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:51 PM

............EPIC HYDROLOCKING FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worked great untill water ripped the innerfender out...

Where's Piccard when you need a facepalm.

ehhh I needed a new motor anyway.

Quick Reply: Stealth Snorkel (pics)