86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starting a warm/hot flooded engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Starting a warm/hot flooded engine

This isn't about how it got flooded - Cold Start Injector Switch / Cold Start Injector, but what the proper procedure would be for starting a 22RE that has been flooded. I'm talking about pull the plugs, smell the fuel and smelling fuel at the tail pipe. It's only happened to me a couple times in the last few years but first time it happened on a lightly traveled mountain road (pulled over for a short break) and my battery died trying to restart the engine. The sad-o-meter was pegged that day.

In my old short block carburetor days, I would just floor the accelerator and crank. That didn't work for me on the first occasion. Although the other time, the engine wouldn't start and I just pushed the accelerator halfway down and the engine fired up with a bit of a black cloud.

So are these the steps I need to take the next time I have a flooded engine (i.e. it doesn't immediately start up when warm)?
  1. Floor accelerator
  2. crank for 10-15 seconds (?)
if that doesn't work:
  1. Pull EFI fuse - stop injecting gas
  2. Disconnect Cold Start Injector (CSI) - maybe it's the evil doer but I ohm'd it out and it seems fine. Haven't tested the CSI switch
  3. Floor accelerator
  4. crank for 10-15 seconds (?), hopefully get some ignition
  5. Reinsert EFI fuse
  6. Reconnect CSI
And if that last step doesn't work, pull the plugs and let the darn thing air out for 30 minutes or so? And then try, try, try again?

Does this sound about right? I just want to have an emergency procedure that ought to work every time.

thanks for any advice
-jim

Last edited by gearchow; 04-24-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
I wouldn't fully open the throttle plate, its not a modern ECM with a "clear flood" mode triggered by putting the pedal to the floor and then cranking it over. This could give you too much air for the fuel to ignite properly.

If you suspect wet plugs, pull them, manually apply some air and give them a few minutes to dry out.

Double check the schematic, but I'm relatively sure pulling the EFI fuse disables the ignitor as well as the ECU injector pulses.

So.
Try part throttle.
Smelling raw fuel, pull efi fuse and spark plugs.
Blow and air dry plugs.
Crank engine to eject raw fuel.
Reinsert plugs and fuse.
Attempt to start engine.

There should be abit in the owners manual about allowed cranking time. From memory its 30 seconds out of 5 minutes. This duty cycle is meant to give the starter and fusible links time to cool off.
The following users liked this post:
gearchow (04-24-2019)