Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starter solenoid contact fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump for a good write-up. plus i wanted an easy way to find this when i search for it in the future (by simply looking through threads that i have posted on rather than searching through endless posts regarding "starter rebuild").
Old 10-19-2009, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This cheap fix is a lot better than following the Haynes manual recommendation of exchanging for a whole new starter. A few bucks and 10 minutes, and you're back to starting up flawlessly.

Most "Starter & Alternator" repair shops carry the contacts in stock, it's a very common starter. I just did the contact replacement to mine and paid $5/ea (CDN) for the contacts, they even cleaned the plunger on a lathe for me for free. The shop owner told me that it's very rare for anything but the contacts in these starters to go bad. I actually have an extra one which has also had it's contacts replaced, the PO gave it to me after saying he swapped it out when it stopped working, it works now.

I used the pressure of tightening the nut to squeeze the contact onto the bolt, next time I'll use a vice, it was a pain doing it my way.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:02 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
been ther done this on my 22r as well as a new plunger. Great fix, much cheaper than buying a new starter.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:22 PM

Just did this with great results! Car Quest had them in stock. Was only $4 for both of them.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Thanks guys!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great pics! The aftermarket parts stores are going to be pissed. I'd hire a body a body guard and get big dogs.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by algranger
Trev and his fellow astronauts in space:

Guy: Oh my god! Were having a malfunction

Other guy: Then engines wont fire!

Other guy: What do you think Trev?

Trev: ...wheres the starter at? That pesky moon dust got in and gummed up the contacts!
"Lock 'er in four low, where headed for the astroid field"
Old 11-05-2009, 12:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

For what it is worth I have been down that route . i still have a bunch of new starter parts in case of a weekend mishap. I now pay the few extra bucks and run Napa life time starters and alternators .

i can tinker with rebuilding these things when i get caught up with other projects.

For what it`s worth I have found the easiest way to get the starter off is to remove the oil filter and get both bolts from the front . Although I most often put a stud in the top hole
Old 11-29-2009, 11:05 PM

That works too!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:07 AM

hey thanks for making this thread 91Toyota! i kinda knew how to do the fix but never seen it done before. mine does this ever once in a while like when im in the gas station and i go to start and click click, get out smack with wrench and starts up haha. i will prob try and fix this once i get some more money. you just unbolt the terminals then the bolys holding the starter on and it should come right out right?
Old 11-30-2009, 12:14 AM

Yep, should come out no problem. Although this fix did NOT help my truck, I have another problem causing my "click click" symptom

I'll try to get it sourced out tomorrow.

So far i've checked starter, ground wire (replaced), battery terminals, and starter relay (clicks with a 9v battery)

I'm thinking its either the ignition switch (doubt it) or a bad connection to the solenoid on the starter. I will find out tomorrow though
Old 11-30-2009, 08:28 AM

Run a test jumper wire down to the solenoid connector, then jump it directly with the battery. The original wire/circuit is no longer providing enough voltage to engage the solenoid reliably.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:40 AM

ok cool. i hope this fixes it
Old 11-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Yep, should come out no problem. Although this fix did NOT help my truck, I have another problem causing my "click click" symptom

I'll try to get it sourced out tomorrow.

So far i've checked starter, ground wire (replaced), battery terminals, and starter relay (clicks with a 9v battery)

I'm thinking its either the ignition switch (doubt it) or a bad connection to the solenoid on the starter. I will find out tomorrow though
See below for a simple test to try:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest
Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
let us know what you find. I replaced the contacts too and I still get the click every now and then. I just have to hit the starter with a wrench to get it to fire up.

I think in my case it is either a weak battery (it getting old...but it always starts the truck) or the solenoid is going out.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by snobdds
let us know what you find. I replaced the contacts too and I still get the click every now and then. I just have to hit the starter with a wrench to get it to fire up.

I think in my case it is either a weak battery (it getting old...but it always starts the truck) or the solenoid is going out.
Check the voltage at the solenoid as noted on the web page above. That is the likely cause of the problem. Too low a voltage indicates not enough current is getting the solenoid and it does not pull in strong enough. Some repair ideas below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions
Old 11-30-2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Check the voltage at the solenoid as noted on the web page above. That is the likely cause of the problem. Too low a voltage indicates not enough current is getting the solenoid and it does not pull in strong enough. Some repair ideas below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions
So, basically I will need to get the voltmeter and wiring ready for when it acts up?

Or, can I just test it anytime?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 91Toyota
So, basically I will need to get the voltmeter and wiring ready for when it acts up?

Or, can I just test it anytime?
I would assume you would want to do it when it's acting up and when it's acting normal. Then compare the two results.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by snobdds
I would assume you would want to do it when it's acting up and when it's acting normal. Then compare the two results.
Yep, that is the idea. Hook up the test jumper and see what voltage you get when it works and then if it acts up again, see if anything changes. If so, the problem is upstream of the starter, If nothing changes, voltage-wise, then the problem may be in the starter solenoid.

But if you find more than a 0.5 volt drop between the battery and solenoid, even when it is working fine, that may indicate a problem in the wiring, switches or relay.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM

Oh I see. That makes sense.

Stupid question...but will the starter will be cranking while I'm testing it? Or just turn the key in the "ON" position in both scenarios.

Quick Reply: Starter solenoid contact fix