86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starter/Ignition Problem 90 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter/Ignition Problem 90 4Runner

Does anyone have any ideas why my truck won't start occasionaly?I turn the key.The dash lights up as usual.Nothing.Silence.I brought it to a garage and the mechanic said he had no problem starting it over 30 times with the key.He checked the battery,connections,wires,and starter.He said everything checked out ok.When it doesn't turn over with the key I can get it running with the remote starter.Sometimes it may take several tries.Suggestions?Thanks...
Old 02-06-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by jm47
Does anyone have any ideas why my truck won't start occasionaly?I turn the key.The dash lights up as usual.Nothing.Silence.I brought it to a garage and the mechanic said he had no problem starting it over 30 times with the key.He checked the battery,connections,wires,and starter.He said everything checked out ok.When it doesn't turn over with the key I can get it running with the remote starter.Sometimes it may take several tries.Suggestions?Thanks...
Have you looked at the starter contacts? This might be your problem. Simple thing to fix. Is it an aftermarket starter? Toyota's sometime have a problem with aftermarket starters.

Could it be the remote starter?

Anyone else chime in?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:44 PM

I have the same problem with mine. Not sure what it is. Totally random. Every time I want to check it out, or have somebody else look at it, it is fine. Until you get it figured out, try this piece of advice that works for me and I have no idea why: When that happens again, don't sit there wiggling the key, don't try to turn it over many times. Try turning the key to the "on" position and just holding it there for a bit. Like I said, I have no idea why this works for me, but I do know that if I hold it there for a bit, (sometimes up to a minute) it just fires up. I also recommend for the meantime keeping a hammer in your cab. If worse comes to worse and you are stuck, try tapping on your starter before you get it towed. And if it is a 5sp, you can always pop the clutch. And of course, loosen your battery terminals, hit them with a wire brush and some baking soda/water mix, and make sure your wires are tight on the starter.There is also a wire going from the battery to the fuse box. Make sure both ends of that are clean and tight.
Post what you find out. For me it is just a nuisance, but I would like to correct my problem as well.

Last edited by Bobakazi; 02-07-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a similar problem on a 90 model Corolla. The starter, itself, was fine. But the contacts needed repair. Seems pitting is a fairly common issue wiith these older Toyotas. Once they get pitted, they don't flow current very well. That may be why 'holding it for a minute or so' per Bobakazi's method works. The battery finally draws enough juice to make it jump the gap. I finally took mine in to my mechanic and he built up the contacts by brazing and then filed them flat. That took care of it.

Bobakazi is right on the other steps. Loose or corroded battery terminals will have a similar effect. My only caveat would be to take care when using the 'hammer' method of tapping the starter while someone else holds the ignition key in the 'start' position. Don't hit the case too hard or you'll have starter parts falling apart inside the case.

Mike in AR
Old 02-07-2006, 01:39 PM

I have had a horrible time with starters on my truck. Like someone said before, keep a 2' length of pipe and a hammer in the truck. When it acts up, place the pipe on the starter, and tap with hammer. When my first starter went bad, it would do nothing. No grinding, just silence.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:23 PM

Thanks guys.Working fine.It's the origional starter(188k miles).New battery.New battery cable ends.Mechanic said everything checks out.Could it be the ignition or the remote starter?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bobakazi
I have the same problem with mine. Not sure what it is. Totally random. Every time I want to check it out, or have somebody else look at it, it is fine. Until you get it figured out, try this piece of advice that works for me and I have no idea why: When that happens again, don't sit there wiggling the key, don't try to turn it over many times. Try turning the key to the "on" position and just holding it there for a bit. Like I said, I have no idea why this works for me, but I do know that if I hold it there for a bit, (sometimes up to a minute) it just fires up. I also recommend for the meantime keeping a hammer in your cab. If worse comes to worse and you are stuck, try tapping on your starter before you get it towed. And if it is a 5sp, you can always pop the clutch. And of course, loosen your battery terminals, hit them with a wire brush and some baking soda/water mix, and make sure your wires are tight on the starter.There is also a wire going from the battery to the fuse box. Make sure both ends of that are clean and tight.
Post what you find out. For me it is just a nuisance, but I would like to correct my problem as well.
I have same problem. I have to pop the clutch... although its weird cause once i do that i can turn it off and then it will crank right over no problem at all... its a once a month thing pretty sure my truck is a female haha