86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Started my new rear bumper/tire carrier

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Sure looks purty! Did you have any interference with the shackels hitting the mounting brackets under tire stuff? Can't wait to see how the "tire arm" works!!
Old 12-28-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Sure looks purty! Did you have any interference with the shackels hitting the mounting brackets under tire stuff? Can't wait to see how the "tire arm" works!!
No, I am very used to building these and have those brackets measurements down. It clears the tailgate opening and the shackles under full compression as well.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Reeeeeallly? How much you charge for those? My Kennesaw mtn swing out bumper mount brackets...well...suck. They get caught by my shackels everytime.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So this question is kinda beside the point, but you said yours will have to be welded on in order to tow with it. Do the Marlin and other brand rear bumpers only have the hitch receiver to hook up recovery points or somethin, and they're not strong enough to tow even if welded to the frame?
Old 12-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
As always your work is outstanding but am wondering where the lift strut is going to mount?
Seems like it would be at angle that would interfere with the tailgate since it doesn't seem like it could be mounted right at the pivot point for the main bar...dunno, curious to see how this works out.

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
So this question is kinda beside the point, but you said yours will have to be welded on in order to tow with it. Do the Marlin and other brand rear bumpers only have the hitch receiver to hook up recovery points or somethin, and they're not strong enough to tow even if welded to the frame?
I have got a Marlin bumper and I would not recommend towing more than 1000-1500 lbs with out some form of bracing going from the reciever 45* back to the frame.
Scotty's design is much more substantional than Marlin's...

Last edited by dropzone; 12-28-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:23 PM

Reeeeeallly? How much you charge for those? My Kennesaw mtn swing out bumper mount brackets...well...suck. They get caught by my shackels everytime.
Not sure. Never sold them.

Also remember that I run longer than stock springs, so my rear shackle mount was moved back 3" to boot and still clears.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Would you trust towing anything with a main tube that is made from only 1/8" wall tubing? Or, would you like to have at least 3/16" wall boxed together. and triangulated back to the frame? LOL
Old 12-28-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Very very nice!!
I want one!!
Old 12-28-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I see your point. I'm worrying more about my 3.4 swap to get my rig running again, so haven't done the proper research needed for rear bumpers. That, and after the 3.4 my next project is replacing the deer-damaged front bumper!
Thanks for the enlightenment.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:46 PM

If you by any chance want to make something like this for 3rd gen pickups i go to CSU and only drive my truck home (to Denver) like once every two months anyways so you would be more than welcome to use my truck for R&D.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Not sure. Never sold them.

Also remember that I run longer than stock springs, so my rear shackle mount was moved back 3" to boot and still clears.
I don't suppose I could get a pic of your undercarriage...?

Of where your mounts go?
Old 12-28-2008, 05:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm wondering how something like this would work on an 86 pickup. I'd love to have a rear mounted tire carrier so I can use the space taken up by the spare as a place to mount my air tank.

Scotty if it's possible how would you feel about building one of these for my 86 truck and selling it to me?

Keep up with the great work and pictures.

Last edited by Junkers88; 12-28-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by redwingsfan008
If you by any chance want to make something like this for 3rd gen pickups i go to CSU and only drive my truck home (to Denver) like once every two months anyways so you would be more than welcome to use my truck for R&D.

i second this notion

i need a bumper for my pickup that doesnt ruin my departure angle, but is capable of supporting a tire rack and towing
Old 12-28-2008, 07:30 PM

It may work for a 3rd gen pickup. I have a neighbors truck that I can use for mock up if you are serious. Are you wanting it for towing, or just for looks/clearance?
Old 12-28-2008, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Are you wanting it for towing, or just for looks/clearance?
my uses would cover all of the above. i use my truck for everything.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:39 PM

I would like it for looks and clearance because i have already almost drug mine off three or four times now, but i would also definatlely like to be able to tow with it. something like an ATV trailer with an atv on it or a small pop up trailer, nothing big. I would definately be interested. honestly my actual ability to purchase it with my status as a poor college kid would be the hard part. I am assuming it wouldnt be for a while though that you would be getting to producing one so i probably have some time to save up.

Last edited by redwingsfan008; 12-28-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:53 PM

I've been eyeballin' a Marlin rear bumber for a couple of months for my 89 fo-runner but have bought some other stuff first (clutch, add-a-leaf, light bar). I like your bumper a lot better and would only be pulling atv's and a pop up camper when/if I get one (camper). I would buy one without the carrier but once I see it and the total cost I may go with the tire carrier option. I looked on your website earlier tonight and was disappointed not to see any rear bumpers so finding this is cool. You also have a nice price on rock sliders but i must pace myself on spending money.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:56 PM

I would like it for looks because i have already almost drug mine off three or four times now, but i would also definatlely like to be able to tow with it. something like an ATV trailer with an atv on it or a small pop up trailer, nothing big. I would definately be interested. honestly my actual ability to purchase it with my status as a poor college kid would be the hard part. I am assuming it wouldnt be for a while though that you would be getting to producing one so i probably have some time to save up.
The easiest guess is that by the spring these should be ready. I will likely start out with a bumper only package. Again, it WILL REQUIRE WELDING on since I will not skimp on making it capable/heavy duty enough to handle what we throw at it.

Even if you don't have a welder, a muffler shop should be able to do it. So, I assume that the customers who really want it will work out a way to have it installed, even if they can't do it themselves.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:59 PM

ok sounds good i will definatrly be keeping my eye out for it. it looks really awesome.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 PM

I don't suppose I could get a pic of your undercarriage...?

Of where your mounts go?
I will snap some tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Started my new rear bumper/tire carrier