Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

SR5 Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SR5 Cluster

I've had an SR5 cluster for a while, and I got a hair up my arse to set the odometer back to the original 164k right now it reads 234k and I can't get the speedo needles off of either of the clusters, how do I set the milage back? Anyone know?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Banned

Anyone?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That can get you jail time..........

I took one apart a few years and there were just a few screws IIRC....I never could get the miles to go back.....
Old 08-04-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it is against the law in the USA to alter the odometer in any vehicle. You can file a 'statement of facts' or similar with the department of motor vehicles (or similar agency in your area) stating that the speedometer in your vehicle was replaced when it displayed 'aaaaaaa' mileage with one that read 'bbbbbbb' miles at the time of replacement.
you can then legally say that your odometer reads 'xxxxxxx' but can be compensated 'yyyyyyy' to reflect true mileage on the chassis.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-04-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The newer odometers wont rollback. They have lock pins that prevent them from moving.

btw guys, i am sure he simply means he swapped in an SR5 cluster and wants it to represent the correct mileage....right!?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Banned

Did I ASK if it was illegal?

Do I CARE if its illegal?

No. I asked how to change it back, I'm aware its probably illegal, but seeings as I'm never selling this truck and I wanted to change it back to reflect the original milage, no one cares, sorry If I came off like an jerk, but I really don't care. Technically wouldn't it be illegal to swap the cluster to one that reflects more milage?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:17 PM

it is not illegal to swap any cluster (specifically the odometer) if the statement of facts i mentioned is filed with the motor vehicle department stating the mileage from the original odometer and the mileage from the new odometer.

most odometers cannot be rolled backwards without full disassembly of the mechanisms involved and showing signs of deliberate tampering.
you'd be better off attaching the speedometer cable to a dremel and running it for a few days to advance the readings until it rolled over.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:18 PM

and even if you say you're never selling the truck, do you ever see a point in time in the future where you might decide to part it out? well then, what to do with the frame... whatever to do...?
how do you release liability for a vehicle....?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
Did I ASK if it was illegal?

Do I CARE if its illegal?

No. I asked how to change it back, I'm aware its probably illegal, but seeings as I'm never selling this truck and I wanted to change it back to reflect the original milage, no one cares, sorry If I came off like an jerk, but I really don't care. Technically wouldn't it be illegal to swap the cluster to one that reflects more milage?
Someone call the milage police and turn this guy in!!!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:54 PM

i have one righ there and ill go look for ya see if i can get it to roll back or something
Old 08-04-2008, 11:31 PM

ok so you wanna know how to roll back a odm? well here it is!!!!!!!

however i AM NOT responsible for any problems and or misshaps you have this is in fact agast the law! i am only showing you this as a guide DO NOT pm me email me call me or anything if you brake or damage your own truck or anything else!

ok here it goes first unbolt the dash about 4 or so + head screws now do the same with the cluster ok sweet now you have that inside reading this

you take the metal clips off and useing a flat head you carefuly pry on the tabs to get the clear part off niw go to the back side

take the twop + headed screws out and pull the speedo out ok now you should have this

ok now useing a flat head pry off the neddle

untill this happens

now you see the two tiny little black + screws you guessed it take them out!

now you should have something like this

now theres two silver + screws holding the mileage on you guessed it take them out now it should look like this one here

now take your finger and roll back or fw till what ever milage you like its going to take time so ill just sit here and wait till your all done!
you roll your finger on the WHITE gear looking thing it goes both ways now!
now you have to put it all back together my god what a mess ok heres how you get working again

CAREFULY slide the little pole looking thing into the hole these here

slide them in and screw the two silver screws back in and thats done now take the cover and screw that back on the two little black ones remember them yeah put them back in now the neddle nice looking good buddy

you have to make sure you have it all the way down and set at 0 if not them your speedo will be off by a few or even a lot

now your all done
before milage

and after roll back

sorry i forgot to take a pic of it in the dohicky but i rolled it fw to make sure it worked heres the finale mileage

hope this helps you out!!!!

and no this is just as a know it all type posting im not telling you its ok to do this nor am i saying you should

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

Last edited by just a 22re; 08-04-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 PM

now i lost my trip reseter pole dangit and no this is not the one i had in my truck this was on ei just had laying around
Old 08-04-2008, 11:44 PM

ok i found it it fell behind the computer desk
Old 08-05-2008, 01:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL

what a bunch of jackasses... err... I mean careing people who feel the need to increase their post count by pointing out the OBVIOUS. No crap its illegal.

Who REALLY cares if you rollback the odometer. Its a 80s toyota for gods sake. I screwed mine up rolling it back, wish just a 22re was around when I did my swap. My junk still works but only I can read it.

To clarify. Most folk who buy these junks realllly dont care about the mileage. Any 20+ yr old yota is probably gonna need some engine work, axle work and overall work... Rebuild time.

Anyway... I wish I had started rolling back my odometer from the tens, not the hundreds thousands. That screws it up. fyi
Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm, now that i think about it, and what Just a 22re has posted. I think ill just swap in my old odometer or at least try to fix mine.

thanks bud
Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 AM

Whoa good idea!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was going to roll mine forward. It was at 197500 when I restored the truck, and I wanted to set it to an even 200K. I also wanted to relubricate it since I noticed the numbers stick a little when rolling.

I am curious, doesn't taking the needle of the speedo mess up the calibration?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:04 AM

ok well i just pluged in the one i rolled back to my speedo cable and it still does work its off by about 3 but thats cause of the tires i have 31s with 4,10 gears but that was on the freeway doing 65 passed a speed trailer thingy man i love them things you just have to becareful when doing this thats all im saying you should or thats its ok or it will work im just showing you how to do it thats all you asked and i spoke
Old 08-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by just a 22re
ok i found it it fell behind the computer desk
Thanks alot Allan! You just made my day man, that and I just got my 33's on! Im glad my trucks coming together like I wanted it to be since well, three years ago!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:58 PM

just glad to help! it will take along long long time to get it back even 10,000 miles though as you move the block counter not the mile counter

Quick Reply: SR5 Cluster