Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

squeaky clutch pedal 92 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeaky clutch pedal 92 pickup

Hi all,

I have the dreaded clutch pedal squeak in my 92 4X4 pickup. I replaced both cross shaft bushings and the clevis pin bushing. Lubed everything that moves
including the rod that goes into the boot of the hydraulic reservoir. The pedal still squeals. My suspicion now is that it is in the clevis assembly where it connects
to the pedal arm. Something may be binding in there, just plain worn out or out of alignment somehow. I plan to remove it this weekend to examine it. Other than
that, there is nowhere else to look. There doesn't seem to be any one consistent solution on any of the forums for this irritating noise. Has anyone ever isolated it
to the clevis assembly? Thanks.

Tonino
Old 06-06-2017, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have dealt with the squeaky clutch pedal. I think I just lubed it up if I recall correctly. Also these trucks are know to get a crack that can effect how it engages and if I recall correctly can be a sign of a broken clutch pedal assembly. Really check it out when you get it out of the truck and look for a crack.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:59 AM

Squeaky clutch pedal 92 pickup

Hi Terry,
Thank you for the reply. Honestly I can't lube it any more than I already have. Every friction surface has been hit hard. I have
read that the mounting brackets can crack, but I haven't found any yet but that doesn't mean there isn't one there. Good advice. I'll
be sure to examine it more closely and thoroughly when I get the clevis out. Will also post the results whether successful or plan C.

Thanks again
Tonino
Old 06-07-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Check for this...mine failed at approx 150,000 miles https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...fatigue-32667/
Old 06-07-2017, 06:43 PM

Squeaky clutch pedal 92 pickup

Hi JJ, enjoyed the thread. The one photo showing the crack now gives me someplace to look although my bracket
looks a little different. Will get under there tomorrow, take a good look and post what I find if anything. My 92 has
only 61k miles on it, but its good to know what to expect. Mine make a squeaky, almost chirping sound when the
pedal is depressed. The first inch or so of play at the top of the pedal makes no noise, its when the pedal starts to
push the clevis/pushrod into the resistance of the master cylinder. The noise is under the dash. Curiously, the
pedal doesn't make any noise at all on occasion - like today. Its been rainy, hot and humid here in Florida. this morning
I drove the truck and the pedal was quiet, smooth and easy to depress. It may go like that for days. There may also
be a correlation between the noise and the AC but I haven't proven that theory yet. Today I had no AC on but just on
observation, 15 minutes or so after the AC goes on and the cab temperature drops, the noise comes back. Right now
its still a mystery - but we'll find it. Not much else to look at except the clevis/pushrod - maybe something binding.
but I'll give the bracket a good going over first. If its cracked, doing anything else would be futil.

Thanks again
Tonino
Old 06-08-2017, 09:18 AM

JJ, I gave the mounting bracket a good examination today and there are no cracks anywhere so thats good news.
Additionally, the pedal is still on good behavior today - even with the AC on. The only thing diffferent I did yesterday
was to squirt some Sea Foam "Deep Creep" penetrating lubricant on everything especially around the clevis pin where
it passes through the new bushing on the pedal arm. I still plan to inspect the clevis itself - maybe this weekend. For
now I'll enjoy the easy pedal and quiet and hope it lasts.

Tonino
Old 06-11-2017, 10:34 AM

Squeaky clutch pedal update.

The pedal seems to be in "stealth" mode right now. It flatly refuses to make any noise in spite of my best efforts.
Will keep y'all posted.

Tonino
Old 06-11-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Wow i took a listen today my clutch pedal squeaks also!!

I think I will just go right back to ignoring it in my case I know what it is the return spring
Old 06-11-2017, 12:34 PM

Hi Wyoming - My new super zoomy Toyota replacement return spring is different than the original, in that it is shorter but the coils
have larger diameter and there is a silencer inside the coils. Moreover, the spring has a bit less tension. Didn't make any difference. I also just
bought a new clevis, rod and boot that I haven't done anything with yet but the clevis is also different than my original.
I'm assuming that the differences are the result of Toyotas "product improvements" made over time. My pedal makes
such a screeching noise, its impossible to ignore it. At the top of the pedal - the free play area, there is no noise. Its when
the rod going into the clutch master cylinder starts its plunge into the master cylinder. The screeching continues as the'
pedal goes all the way to the floor and on the way up. The noise is definitely inside the cab under the dash - not under
the hood. A real mystery it is. Once I get it squeaking and squawking again, I can get back into it and go by the numbers
to see if I can isolate it. Gotta find it.
Regards
Tonino
Old 06-11-2017, 04:24 PM

I had the same issue on my 93 pickup, a little WD-40 and it was good
Old 06-11-2017, 06:14 PM

Hi 5Speed. Must admit I haven't tried WD-40 but I have tried everything else in my inventory. Can't argue with success, however and I
will give it a try. Any particular place you sprayed it? Or just all over. Spraying is easier than removing everything
under there again. Thanks

Tonino
Old 06-12-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had several bouts with my clutch primary cylinder and the clutch pedal squeaking. One particular clutch primary cylinder wasn't up to snuff and the rod bent after a few miles. It squeaked pretty bad, and of course clutch performance suffered. If you're having difficulty getting into gear, it could be the primary cylinder and not the leverage pieces making the noises.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:11 AM

Hi mchapter. Thanks for the reply. No problems getting into any of the gears, and the clutch pedal when its not creating
a symphony is very smooth. I am a bit suspicious, however, of the clevis and rod. The rod doesn't look bent, but there
may be something going on with the clevis itself. I need to remove it and the rod to inspect it as well as its connection to the rod.
I already have a new clevis and rod to replace it with. Its not easy to get my 78 year-old now portly frame under there and
I have to be in the right frame of mind to build up the courage to do it. All that said, I took 5Speeds advice and shot up the clevis pin and whatever else I
could reach w/some WD-40 penetrating stuff even though the pedal has been on good behavior lately. I took the truck out yesterday
to run errands, and eventually it started to make its noises (AC on) but not so intense. Then the squawking started to abate and after
one long stop, it stopped completely again. I'd like to have it making noise full bore before I get under there again, but lately,
it just doesn't want to cooperate. The longer a issue persists, the more I tend to over think it. But I can't help but wonder, if
the source isn't in the clevis bushing on the pedal arm. Its new but if the clevis shaft is a little worn (only 61k miles on the truck)
it may be deflecting by the pressure of the rod as it pushes into the primary cylinder and therefore binding somewhat in the
bushing causing the noise. Maybe the copious amounts of lubricants I've tried - the last two being penetrating types - are working
into the clevis bushing ergo the seemingly slight improvement. However, add to that the hocus pocus of the apparent positive affect of the
rainy humid weather we've been having for a week, and the apparent negative affect of running the AC cooling and drying the
air in the cabin, its enough to make my head hurt - LOL. I love a good challenge though and will keep at it until I can reach a
conclusion. With all of the different fixes achieved by other members, I believe if we had a convention to compare clutch pedal
squeaks and squawks, we would find a wide variety in the annoying emanations because they're coming from different places -
else, everyone would have the same solution. Who knows. Running these things down is sometimes requires black magic - LOL. I will
keep everyone informed of progress good or bad as this saga continues.

Thanks again -- Tonino
Old 06-17-2017, 12:56 PM

92 Toyota squeaky clutch pedal update

Et al. I finally got around to pulling the clutch master cylinder and the clevis/rod assembly. The pedal swings freely on its cross shaft so no binding there. The clevis pin came
out soaked in oil, as did the clevis bushing. Don't see how it could make any noise. My 27 year old clutch cylinder was one sorry mess. There was so much crud in it that I
opted to just buy a new one. Even if the old one had a clean smooth piston bore, doesn't mean it will be the same six months from now after I ovehual it. The new cylinder will be here tomorrow
thanks to Amazon Prime free shipping. The clevis/rod assembly is interesting in that there is no direct metal to metal contact between
the "U-shaped" clevis itself and the pushrod. They are separated by a cylindrical rubber (or something composite) coupling. There is a wee amount of lateral play between the
clevis and rod but until I get a new piece in my hands to compare, can't say if its worn, shrunk or normal. Looks to me that they designed the little beauty to keep vibrations from
entering the clutch pedal and/or have a little flexibility to permit the rod to efficiently center itself in the cylinder piston pump. Can't say for sure. What could be happening though is
that the 27 year old coupling is groaning under the pressure exerted by the rod as the rod depresses the piston pump in the clutch cylinder. The coupling may be compressing or expanding
in protest inside its jacket. Moreover, shortly after the pedal reaches the top of its travel (all the way up), there is on occasion a few random chirps. Maybe thats the coupling
returning to its shape and/or shifting inside its jacket. I did try moving the rod/clevis around the coupling but I couldn't get it to make any noise. Nor would it when I pushed the rod
down into the piston pump.

The new clevis and pushrod I just bought at our Toyota dealer is a mechanical assembly - no rubber coupling. The clevis threads directly on to the push rod. I guess I'm at
a decision point tomorrow whether to leave the coupled clevis in the new cylinder, or remove it and install the mechanical clevis. I am, however, confused as to which is the later
"improved version". Toyota bulletin TC004-07 Jun M/T on the same subject shows the coupled assembly vice the mechanical assembly.

Will post results of the next phase of this continuing saga.

Tonino
Old 06-19-2017, 07:18 AM

Et al, There are good squeaks by design (I guess) and bad squeaks (its gone). Finally swapped out the master cylinder with a new AISAN with its rubber coupled
clevis/pushrod assembly. Clutch travel is lighter and smoother but their is some squeaking going on but not near as bad or as loud. I'm convinced the culprit is
indeed the rubber coupling. Shifting on the road I can barely hear it and thats ok w/me. If it turns bad again, I have the new mechanical assembly (sans
rubber coupling) all measured ready to go and I'll install it. The swap was easy even for me. Hint 1: Measure the length of the old clevis/pushrod assembly (assuming
it was adjusted correctly and adjust the new one to the same length. Hint 2: Don't plumb the slave cylinder feed line back into the master cylinder until you first give it a couple
of pushes on the clutch pedal. Put something under the cylinder to catch the fluid as it squirts out of the feed hole. That will ensure there is no air locked in the
innards of the master cylinder. Also, don't forget to bleed off at the slave culinder until clean brake fluid comes out but don't let the master cylinder reservoir drain out.
Have someone watch it and add fluid as you bleed the slave cylinder. If you're installing a new mechanical style clevis/pushrod assembly, the pushrod will be longer
but the overall length should still be measured and matched to the clevis/pushrod assembly you are replacing (assuming it was adjusted correctly when you remvoved it).
Amen. If anything changes relative to this topic, will report back.

Thanks again to all who contributed.

Tonino
Old 07-10-2017, 07:35 AM

Et al,

My clutch pedal is now quiet as the proverbial "Church Mouse". We can say "AMEN" to that. Went down my "baseline" list (haven't had the truck that long)
and found "fuel filter". Egads!! What a place to put a fuel filter for the EFI 22RE but I guess its safe and out of the way under there. I can't even see it from under the hood.
Will have to mooch someones lift to get at it. I'm not surprised though. I spent a lot of time in South America driving Land Cruisers, Nissan Patrols and Monteros.
They build those babies including their pickups for the world markets and most of where they are used in no way resembles anywhere USA. Durability and reliability
is what counts out there in the boonies. Dealer network out there? Non existent. Great products.

Cheers
Tonino
Old 07-11-2017, 10:32 PM

pedal linkage

Originally Posted by Tonino
Hi 5Speed. Must admit I haven't tried WD-40 but I have tried everything else in my inventory. Can't argue with success, however and I
will give it a try. Any particular place you sprayed it? Or just all over. Spraying is easier than removing everything
under there again. Thanks

Tonino
Hey Tonino, I sprayed the linkage that connects the pedal to the actual clutch push rod linkage. I doused the linkage in WD, pushed it a few times and I had no more issues. It's worth a shot!
Old 07-12-2017, 03:36 AM

Thank yoyu Speedyota. If it starts up again I'll try that first. It may have lubricated the bushing that the
clevis pin goes through. I replaced mine with a new bushing but it didn't help. My issue was in the rubber
isolation mount between the clevis and pushrod that is welded to the clevis. That rubber ball (or whatever
else that composition may be) was 25 years old and I guess it dries up, shrank - whatever but when pressure
was applied to the clevis, thats where all the screeching/squeaking/squawking was coming from. I do have
a clevis/rod assembly that is a straight mechanical hookup from Toyota parts without the isolator in reserve
as well.
Thanks again
Tonino