86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

spindle bushing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spindle bushing question

I have a 92 runner that sounds like it has a spindle bushing issue. I have read several posts on it and the symptoms seem to fit (ie. only happens when cold, goes away after a 1/2 mile or so). The problem is that it is way to cold out to mess with. I plan on doing some suspension work (like ball joints and shocks etc.) in the spring and would like to address the issue then.

Is there any detrimental damage that can be done by letting it go? It just showed up this winter and my runner has 117k on it. Sure sounds awful when its cold...

Also could someone give me a link or two of where to order the spindle parts other than the dealer? Even just a good place to get quality repair parts.

Thanks much from a new member
Old 01-11-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to the dealer. there is a service bullitan that replaces the bushings w/ bearings. i just got them for my truck but havent installed them yet. probably cost around 160 or so. and it shouldnt hurt to wait untell then to do them as long as they are still lubed.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Highflyer
I have read several posts on it and the symptoms seem to fit (ie. only happens when cold, goes away after a 1/2 mile or so).
Welcome to YT. Now, what exactly are your symptoms?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Highflyer
I have a 92 runner that sounds like it has a spindle bushing issue. I have read several posts on it and the symptoms seem to fit (ie. only happens when cold, goes away after a 1/2 mile or so). The problem is that it is way to cold out to mess with. I plan on doing some suspension work (like ball joints and shocks etc.) in the spring and would like to address the issue then.

Is there any detrimental damage that can be done by letting it go? It just showed up this winter and my runner has 117k on it. Sure sounds awful when its cold...

Also could someone give me a link or two of where to order the spindle parts other than the dealer? Even just a good place to get quality repair parts.

Thanks much from a new member
Well, I posted a nice tool that makes it super easy to install the grease in your spindles. Dont do the needle bearing swap, the noise means you are just low on grease. The bearings will get rid of the noise, but will bring lots more torubles in the form of needle bearings rusting and galling the axles. I posted a real neat thread labled "spindle bushing lubricator" and posted a picture of the tool I made to do it, plus instructions and materials list. Might try search using the phrase. Probably cost you under $20 to make it and makes lubing the spindle bushing a snap.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:17 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even without the lubricator thingy toyota_mdt_tech came up with, it's not that tough.

Where are you at? Maybe someone on here has a heated garage and can help you out!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:17 AM

I read your thread on the spindle lube tool. When you are talking brazing, can it be done with regular plumbing style solder and flux? I might make one this evening...

I haven't had time to update my profile but I'm in SLC, UT. Its going to be like 15 degrees this weekend...I have a garage but it's not heated. Maybe I'll be bringing my space heater out this weekend.

Thanks for all the input. Looks like this is a pretty active forum.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

FYI I ran my spindle bushings till they were dead and when one side starting making noise I finally got them replaced. Problem was the noise was the bushing spinning around the end of the CV axle shaft. It ruined my CV axle that was almost new. And my truck was at Toyota getting this done along with the 50N steering relay rod recall so I had to drop $200 on a geniune Toyota CV axle!! I wouldn't put it off any longer than you have to.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:34 AM

How much did the dealer charge you to do the spindle repair minus the CV?
Old 01-12-2007, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
Welcome to YT. Now, what exactly are your symptoms?
Groaning sound upon driving when cold outside (30F and lower) when car has been parked for short amount of time. It goes away after about a half mile or so sometimes further if really cold out. Sound comes from drivers side wheel. No change in sound when brakes are applied. I can make the sound go away when I turn left a bit unless it is really cold. The sound shows up when I'm turning right mostly.

I need to replace the ball joints as they are worn....probably not helping the issue.
Your thoughts?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 04:29 PM

When my spindle bushings went out, they made an obnoxious rattling noise. The cv was bouncing around inside the spindle when I drove over the slightest bumps. A groaning noise seems like it would more likely be the cv joint or wheel bearing.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:58 PM

Wouldn't the wheel bearing or CV continue to make the noise regardless of driving distance? Every CV I have had problems with in past cars has had problems when turning sharply and made clicking sounds rather than "groaning"...sounds like a tire rubbing really.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:14 PM

just lubing them will not totally get rid of the noise. i have the tool mentioned above to lube it and it helped but did not cure it. now it does it when it is even colder out. and as long as the needle bearings are lubed proprly and used more than once a year it will not rust. ive installed them on many trucks and havent seen a problem yet.