86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speed Sendor location?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed Sendor location?

Am I correct that this is where the vehicle speed sensor is located, in the tailshaft housing on the transfer case, passenger side? (92 T4R, 3.0, 4WD auto)

and the part on the right is the speed sensor? the part on the left is the part the stealer said I needed. My fault for not taking the orginal part with me I guess.

Just want to make sure I've identified the correct part. Thanks!

Gary
Old 03-27-2006, 05:54 PM

That looks like it, but not positive. I'm chasing down a crazy speedo myself...is that what happened to you? Speed started going nuts in the dash?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is correct. Search for speed sensor and my name and you'll find similar pictures.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll find that Toyota used different speed sensor set ups on their auto trannys. Mine has the electronic style -- the one you show on the left. Others use the mechanical , cable style like yours. My 92 3.0 auto even has 2 speed sensors,, I believe.

It sorta looks like Toyota / Aisin found a whole bunch of gear-driven speedo cables hiding in a warehouse and decided to use them AFTER they had switched to electronic for some vehicles.

When my speedo was acting up a year or so ago, I looked on the microfiche at the dealer along with the Parts Manager. We never did find the electronic part that you show in your pic. Kinda strange. At least my speedo started working properly again, and I didn't have to do anything about it.

Mike in AR
Old 03-28-2006, 09:51 AM

Stopped by the dealership at lunch to get the correct part. After talking with the parts guy and a service manager I learned that there are 2 speed sensors in the auto tranny. The pic in my post above shows both of them. the sensor on the left goes somewhere within the transmission. The other goes into the tail housing. They swapped the parts out and and I had to pay an additional $136 for the sensor on the right. the sensor on the left is $68.

My speedometer jumps around wildly when I'm driving and then my transmission starts shifting in and out of drive. Both these symptoms can be caused by the speed sensor giving the ECU bad data.

I'll pop this in tonight and hopefully report back in a few days that it cured the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Gary
Old 05-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by OBX Fisherman
Stopped by the dealership at lunch to get the correct part. After talking with the parts guy and a service manager I learned that there are 2 speed sensors in the auto tranny. The pic in my post above shows both of them. the sensor on the left goes somewhere within the transmission. The other goes into the tail housing. They swapped the parts out and and I had to pay an additional $136 for the sensor on the right. the sensor on the left is $68.

My speedometer jumps around wildly when I'm driving and then my transmission starts shifting in and out of drive. Both these symptoms can be caused by the speed sensor giving the ECU bad data.

I'll pop this in tonight and hopefully report back in a few days that it cured the problem.

Thanks for the help!

Gary
Any update on this? My speedo has been acting funny for awhile and now the transmission is doing what you where describing. I have the electronic speedo and I am going to try to test the sensors tomorrow. Hopefully, I can narrow it down to one or the other. I was just wondering if your transmission is back to normal? Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-03-2006, 07:22 AM

Suspicious Speed Sensor 94 4runner At Fwd

I am experiencing same problem with speedometer and shifting. Did OBX replacing speed sensor (looks exactly like mine) solve the problem? Dealer tells me part is $200+ here in Md.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FATBOY
I am experiencing same problem with speedometer and shifting. Did OBX replacing speed sensor (looks exactly like mine) solve the problem? Dealer tells me part is $200+ here in Md.
I replaced my sensor and it solved the problem. I think I payed $190 or something like that for mine. Took all of 5 min. to replace.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:01 AM

Thanks for help. I ordered the sensor. Hopefully it will solve my problem too.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 AM

speed sensor

Did any of you get the speed sensor to stop from shifting back and forth