Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Spark...Fuel... But not cranking...

Old 07-03-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spark...Fuel... But not cranking...

I have posted before about my 1991 Toyota 4Runner V6. I have worked through several smaller issues. I have spark going to all 6 plugs. I have fuel and when the MAF opens you can hear the injector spray. My issues is that it don't crank "start". It then floods the cylinder. I have unhooked the Cold Start Injector in hopes not to cause additional flooding. I have tried to unplug the FP let the cylinders dry out and then hit it with some starting fluid to see if that would work. Yes, I dried the plugs out first before doing this. Still I keep ending up with it turning over. Sounds like it wants to start. You press the throttle it sounds even more like it wants to start but then stops. Just rolls over. I have tested my coil primary and secondary. It shows in spec. Primary was a t the low end but still in spec. What am I missing?

Last edited by CaglezXJ; 07-04-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Not "Cranking" as in starter motor turning the engine... OR
No "VROOM" meaning you do not have "Combustion"?
Pls clarify.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:00 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I think he means failure to start !!

If you have a MAF do you have a 3.4??

If you have fuel and air plus spark you might want to look at the timing if it does not start

Wires on wrong ?? Timing way off

You must have great hearing to hear injectors spray fuel and be in a sound proof shop

Has this engine ever run since you had it??

Pressing the pedal just gives it more air !!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:30 AM

I think he means failure to start !! You are correct.

If you have a MAF do you have a 3.4?? It has the 3.0. It's out of a 1992 Truck. After they swapped the running engine in. It never STARTED... No Spark, No Fuel. I have fixed many smaller issues that had brought this on. The MAF was shorted across 3 terminals inside the MAF. New MAF and that fixed spark. New Fuel Pump. The other was toast. Cleaned tank and new filter.

If you have fuel and air plus spark you might want to look at the timing if it does not start. Timing could be an issue and I'm not well rounded in that area. But I have the FSM on the procedure so that was my next step.

Wires on wrong ?? Wires are on correct.

You must have great hearing to hear injectors spray fuel and be in a sound proof shop. Great hearing or something is wrong, right? If you actuate the MAF with ignition turned on you can hear spraying. I assumed that was injectors. I suppose I could be wrong but what else can you hear that makes a spray sound. Not cranked but with ignition on.

Has this engine ever run since you had it?? No. The original engine blew up and a newer engine installed. Along with all it's components.

Pressing the pedal just gives it more air !! Exactly but this makes it sound closer to cranking and turning over is why I mentioned it. I have checked all sensors and they show in spec by FSM.

Last edited by CaglezXJ; 07-04-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:27 AM

So I removed the fan and turned the crankshaft to TDC aligned markings 0* to the mark on crank shaft pulley. I removed the distributor cap. I noticed right off that the rotor direction was not facing the #1 point. It's facing the #3 plug point. He never stated that he changed the distributor on the running truck engine. But there is old oil on the part the distributor bolts to and no old oil on the distributor casting. So that leads me to believe it was changed out.

I only have parts of the FSM and it shows if the rotor is out to turn the crank one revolution and then remove the distributor. But if I turn it one full revolution is it not going to be the same?
Can I just pull the distributor leaving the crank at TDC and adjust the distributor to match the correct position and reinstall?

Old 07-05-2017, 09:42 AM

It's running. Timing was 180* out. I guess the previous owner when he did the engine swap he swapped the crank pulley as well because 0* is not top dead. Its not even close to the markings. I set it close as I could without a dial indicator. It runs smooth. So now all I like is putting the dash back together and getting it road worthy. Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited by CaglezXJ; 07-05-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Glad you figured it out.

Search this Thread