86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Source for remanned/rebuilt 22re?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Source for remanned/rebuilt 22re?

I have a 1989 4Runner with a bad 22re engine (thrown rod, hole in block). I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to put in a used/remanned/rebuilt engine. On the one hand, it seems idiotic to spend $2,500+- on a 20 year old truck. On the other hand, when I look at what I could get as a replacement for the same amount of money, it's depressing. Plus, there's just something about these old 4Runners, right?!

More information: everything on the vehicle is stock (no lifts, no transmission mods, etc), and it's an automatic. It's no rock crawler, but it has proved itself capable enough for my purposes on the rough logging roads and 2-tracks in the forests and mountains I frequent. The transmission was working smoothly, and everything else was working well enough for me.

My neighbor, a former mechanic, recommended looking at engines from Jasper, but it looks like they're asking 2,300 for those, plus $500 for a core charge (and mine won't qualify as a rebuildable core, I'm sure), plus some other fees, and it's suddenly over 3,000 bucks. I have noticed some other rebuilders that are charging closer to 2,000 for the whole works--engine, core charge, kit, etc., but don't know anything about these companies.

My neighbor offered to help with the engine replacement, and said it was straightforward, but I'm not sure whether I want to spend the time on it. He claimed it could be done in one Saturday, but that seems overly optimistic.

I guess my questions for you all are:

1) What sources should I be looking at for a rebuilt engine?
2) What is a realistic estimate for the total cost of replacing the engine with a rebuilt?
3) How much time will an engine replacement take, assuming I have the help of a mechanic who knows what he's doing?
4) What will I need, in addition to the engine and kit from the rebuilder?
5) Is this even worth it?
Old 08-18-2009, 03:57 PM

have davez offroad send you a rebuild kit or a new turn key motor
Old 08-18-2009, 04:32 PM

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.c...ic.php?f=3&t=8

reman 22re for 1200 the guy looks legit and I saw he is sell pre made 3rd members for 400!!!! I am definitely calling him tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
if your going to do the swap, do it right and spend the money now with a good quality rebuilder. i jumped at a semi local place and got a long block for around $1200. 18k and a year and a half later i just spent another big chunk of change on a head gasket job. the builder of the long block used very cheap components and gaskets and it seems like the rebuild had problems from the beginning. i dont know of any places to recommend for you to go to but doing some research in here will lead you in the right direction.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:35 PM

oregon engine rebuilders
http://oregonengines.net get a "super stock"
Old 08-19-2009, 07:14 AM

I vote for a 3rz, nice numbers in stock form.
The 3RZ-FE is a 2.7 L (2693 cc) I4 version built in Japan. Bore is 95 mm and stroke is 95 mm. Output is 150 hp (112 kW) at 4800 RPM with 177 ft·lbf (240 N·m) of torque at 4000 RPM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:51 AM

I bought mine from Oregon engine, no problems, love the extra power from the cam I chose. I would definately do business with them again. My .02
Old 08-19-2009, 09:04 AM

hey markanderson where are u from? there is a local shop here that did mine for 1.7k and i was surprised they took mine as rebuildable core. its in nor cal redding area shop called A n I engines! oh ya ...just read the above post... have them throw in a mild cam it cost me only an extra 100 bucks cause the block is apart already so u just pay for the part and yes this shop is the only shop around here with good rep and the only shop i would of let touch my truck!

Last edited by 4x4DemonWithin; 08-19-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got a decent, relatively low mileage, used 22r engine from a wrecking yard for 800. The yard offered a 90 day/unlimited mileage warranty on it. Avoid any used Japanese (JDM) engines.

And swapping a long block can easily be done in a day if you have all the gaskets and such on hand.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:34 AM

Hey Mark, My wife stopped by and looked at your runner a couple of weeks back. Sorry I couldn't make it.

Fix it! The engines don't take long to pull and replace. They are good trucks. The engines should last way longer than yours, although maybe the towing didn't help. Short of finding something at a salvage yard maybe you could stumble across something on CL.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by markandersen
I have a 1989 4Runner with a bad 22re engine (thrown rod, hole in block). I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to put in a used/remanned/rebuilt engine. On the one hand, it seems idiotic to spend $2,500+- on a 20 year old truck. On the other hand, when I look at what I could get as a replacement for the same amount of money, it's depressing. Plus, there's just something about these old 4Runners, right?!

More information: everything on the vehicle is stock (no lifts, no transmission mods, etc), and it's an automatic. It's no rock crawler, but it has proved itself capable enough for my purposes on the rough logging roads and 2-tracks in the forests and mountains I frequent. The transmission was working smoothly, and everything else was working well enough for me.

My neighbor, a former mechanic, recommended looking at engines from Jasper, but it looks like they're asking 2,300 for those, plus $500 for a core charge (and mine won't qualify as a rebuildable core, I'm sure), plus some other fees, and it's suddenly over 3,000 bucks. I have noticed some other rebuilders that are charging closer to 2,000 for the whole works--engine, core charge, kit, etc., but don't know anything about these companies.

My neighbor offered to help with the engine replacement, and said it was straightforward, but I'm not sure whether I want to spend the time on it. He claimed it could be done in one Saturday, but that seems overly optimistic.

I guess my questions for you all are:

1) What sources should I be looking at for a rebuilt engine?
2) What is a realistic estimate for the total cost of replacing the engine with a rebuilt?
3) How much time will an engine replacement take, assuming I have the help of a mechanic who knows what he's doing?
4) What will I need, in addition to the engine and kit from the rebuilder?
5) Is this even worth it?
I have purchased 2 Totota engines now from a company in Ocala Florida called Titan Engines and am thrilled with both. One was a 22RE the other, a more compicated 1ZZ MR2 engine. They were far less than Jasper and offer great warrantees and I'm pretty sure they ship anywhere in the US. You can find them on the internet searching for "Titan Engines Ocala"
Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Swapping the engines in a pick-up or 4runner is realistically a 2 day job the first time, allowing for engine prep, pressure washing the engine compartment, swapping clutch and components, etc. With the right tools and some basic mechanical skills, its a piece of cake! Its certainly not brain surgery and could probably be done in a long day but better to take the extra day and make sure it's right.

PS: Take pictures of vacuum lines, wiring, etc and use some tape to label hoses, belts, etc. I use zip lock baggies to keep track of bolts, clips and small parts.