86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Softopper for 1st Gen 4Runners on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 86Original
You won't fork out what Canback is asking or what Softopper is asking? I think the Softopper is a steal.

BTW, there's NO WAY I'd put a vinyl top on or screw snaps into my 4Runner's body.
I won't fork out what canback is asking.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 86Original
You won't fork out what Canback is asking or what Softopper is asking? I think the Softopper is a steal.

BTW, there's NO WAY I'd put a vinyl top on or screw snaps into my 4Runner's body.
Agreed, as soon as he said, clear vinyl, i started laughing. Might as well get a big blue tarp and some ratchet straps, i suspect it will look as professional as a top made from clear vinyl.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:19 AM

All clear vinyl would be super cheesy.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:29 AM

Makes me think about the "bubble boy" episode of Seinfeld.

Moxdawg
Old 05-17-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by just a 22re
yeah dont get me wrong there really nice............. and as for the 50 bucks go to hancock fabricks and get some heavy vinal ( i used all clear) and two boxes of snaps screew the snaps into the body of the truck and around the inside of the cab and then press the other side of the snap onto the clear top and sowe it al together thats about it guys but ill do a write up and if i get alot of people asking about or for them ill see how much they are add a few bucks for making them and ill send you one im guessing its going to be around maybe 200 bucks for the same top as linked in this thread maybe not sure yet ......... if you really wanna know more about them pm me and ill keep your name ready for when i start getting prices on everything and let you know how much if i even wanna do it
Dude, it costs WAY more than this for a topper.

Just for the material to FIX my kayline, (just the vinyl) was over $200. PLUS the sunbrella material (very expensive) and the full aluminum frame, $600 is a f-in STEAL.... no way if bloody hell you can make it cheaper.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:44 PM

So it looks like I started something! How long has it been that all of these guys have refused to do anything at all for 4Runner owners until now? I started to make my tops because I wanted an alternative to the Can-back and nobody else wanted to do it. I guess it's good that there are a couple of more choices out there for us now. I think the deciding factor is not going to be so much the price but who is going to stand out in the Toyota community. I can say for myself that all I own is Toyota and have no interest in making anything for anything else! I've been asked to do tops for Blazers and Broncos, but why would I? I'm not just doing this to make a buck. Just ask my wife how much time it takes me and she'll tell you it's not worth the effort I put into it. Just something to think about.
So 4Runnerx3, now that you have your top, you will have to post your review on here. I'm sure there are a few other people that would like to hear some feedback besides me??? I'm kind of undecided about the Softopper version. I like the front half, but the back still looks out of place IMO. I've seen the canopies they make for pickups and I didn't think they looked very nice as far as matching up with any kind of body lines. I hope these ones will fit better. The price they are asking seems about right with the materials they are using. Their framework is definitely made cheaper than mine.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 PM

Got mine today!!!!

I realize this post is useless without pictures, but I gotta say the top is badass. Not load bearing like a canback, but you can lower the whole thing down at night. Any of you that live in desert like conditions will know about breezy topless nights.

That feature is what made me jump on this when I saw them on ebay. That and the company has been around awhile and seems pretty stable. All you guys better order some so they go into full time production. I might need some spare parts someday.

I'll get some pictures up someplace when its light out....
Old 06-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

novek, get some pictures up dude. I'm still thinking of buying this, but the price just went up $40

Group buy?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 AM

would like to see more reviews on Softopper any oneout there please post up!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:09 PM

Old 06-24-2008, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
Dude, it costs WAY more than this for a topper.

Just for the material to FIX my kayline, (just the vinyl) was over $200. PLUS the sunbrella material (very expensive) and the full aluminum frame, $600 is a f-in STEAL.... no way if bloody hell you can make it cheaper.
Actually the sunbrella stuff is cheap. 54" x 1 yard = 12 local to minneapolis or 17 online.
I'll post pictures of my top when i finish next week!

EDIT

Jan 2009

Yeah i gave up like an hour after this post.

I now in the market for KTT or Soft tops. I do like what Shawn at KTT stands for...

Last edited by thewjsand; 01-28-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Be aware that there are several grades of Sunbrella. Everything from interior furniture to exterior marine and awning. Keep that in mind when comparing prices. No doubt the marine exterior and awning grades are substantially more than the interior furniture grade.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want more pics and more happy people. Anybody know if these tops are available with tinted windows?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:40 PM

Ordered and paid for my top on 6/17. I have not herd a word from them. delivery was to be approximately 10 days. Anyone else purchased one of these tops???
Old 07-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

lets see some pics of those who have received it
Old 07-01-2008, 04:59 PM

Dont know if many have recieved their tops I was informed today that they had a equipment failure that is not fixed yet and they have a back log of 380 windows to be made
Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 PM

Just had my dad put one on his 4runner last week. He did order it nearly 2 months ago with quick shipping, so I don't know about the issue swerks is having.

Overall my father and I agree that it is a really nice top especially for the price. There are two things we agree could make the top better.

1. Some type of frame to use the stock glass window (of course it will prevent a full top fold down until it's removed)
2. DARKER WINDOWS. Yeah they are smoke but it would look better with darker tint.

We didn't like the idea of the need to put seam-sealer on it prior to install but after several days of very hard rain it has yet to leak anywhere. We no longer think it's any issue, just make sure to do it.

I may take some pics of it after he gives the truck a wash.

Last edited by Bear80; 07-09-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:24 AM

mine is on the way now via UPS should be here fri.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:29 PM

The top is on, I like it !!!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

For those of you in Colorado, I'll have my KillerToyTop at the CO4RJ in BV this weekend, if you want to look it over in person.

Quick Reply: Softopper for 1st Gen 4Runners on Ebay