Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I Bought an '86 for 00...-truck-resized-1.jpg

So I Bought an '86 for 00...-truck-resized-2.jpg

So I Bought an '86 for 00...-truck-resized-6.jpg
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 PM

I'll work on creating a gallery with more images.

Not a bad truck for $1000.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not bad at all!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:41 PM

Okay I added about 25 pics in a Member Gallery under "My 1st Toyota - 1986 4x4 Pickup Truck". Interior, exterior, engine, and some shots underneath.

I sold the cap for $75 on Craig's List. I like it much better without it.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by strykersd
Total Chaos is legit, but to have suspension comparable to that truck, you're looking to spend at least $5,000...
Okay, thanks. That is good to know.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 PM

http://www.jimsgotparts.com/Yoda_Jims/Home.html

http://www.yotayard.com/home.htm

These are two good used YOTA only yards in Denver. Craigslist is also a good outlet if you keep your eye on it often. Usually when a good deal pops up on CL it's gone quick so you have to be prepared.

There are a lot of places that truck will go all by itself just the way it is. Take your time and evaluate what you want to do with the truck before you make any decisions. The Colorado rocks will eat that fiberglass alive if you intend on doing anything deep in the mountains.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by bmcghie
For what it's worth... it's definitely legit. Total Chaos makes some serious hardware that will stand up to just about anything. I'm surprised they didn't show any jumps.

As far as mixing it up goes, I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you even want to come close to the capabilities of that truck, you'll be looking at some monies. If you want to rock crawl... you can stay IFS, or put a solid axel under there. Some guys swear by the Blazeland IFS long travel kit, similar to the one in the video, but maybe not as stout, and far cheaper.

I think you need to decide primarily what you want to use the truck for, and then how much you want to spend on it. Also keep in mind the style of desert running shown in the video is most likely 2wd, as CV joints (that don't cost a fortune) will NOT be able to keep up with the articulation and strain.
Great. Good to know. I think id like to go about 25% Prerunner, 25% crawler, and 50% Daily Driver. At least that is where m head is at so far.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Luvmeye22re
http://www.jimsgotparts.com/Yoda_Jims/Home.html

http://www.yotayard.com/home.htm

These are two good used YOTA only yards in Denver. Craigslist is also a good outlet if you keep your eye on it often. Usually when a good deal pops up on CL it's gone quick so you have to be prepared.

There are a lot of places that truck will go all by itself just the way it is. Take your time and evaluate what you want to do with the truck before you make any decisions. The Colorado rocks will eat that fiberglass alive if you intend on doing anything deep in the mountains.
THANK YOU for this info. SUPER helpful. I have been looking for wheels, and tires on CL.

Glad to know that the truck will get me into some good spots as is too. I'll think about the rocks vs. fiberglass.

The tires that are currently on there are P225/75R15. I was thinking about 31x10xR15? Just something to help until I can get some 33's. I think 33's are as large as Id like to go. Also with alum. wheels.

This a decent start for tires, and wheels?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by David Walker
THANK YOU for this info. SUPER helpful. I have been looking for wheels, and tires on CL.

Glad to know that the truck will get me into some good spots as is too. I'll think about the rocks vs. fiberglass.

The tires that are currently on there are P225/75R15. I was thinking about 31x10xR15? Just something to help until I can get some 33's. I think 33's are as large as Id like to go. Also with alum. wheels.

This a decent start for tires, and wheels?
Yes very decent start. 31 inch tires will fit and run very well no matter what wheel you run as far as I know. They will make your 225's look like honda tires honestly. With some love you could fit 33x10.5 tires, and by love I mean slight modification.

Wrap your head around this.... it may come in handy.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-first-201994/

PS. As a fellow Toyota guy in CO who knows a lot of EASY trails you want to test your rig out on and not be out there alone to get stuck, let me know if you want to go put that thing in 4 low and I'll be happy to go
Old 05-24-2012, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
On your cold start, you have a timing switch on the front of the intake system. Probalby need to just take it out and give a good cleanng. I have it listed on the first post of my 88 build and what to look for. Nice truck.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:18 PM

Yes very decent start. 31 inch tires will fit and run very well no matter what wheel you run as far as I know. They will make your 225's look like honda tires honestly. With some love you could fit 33x10.5 tires, and by love I mean slight modification.

Wrap your head around this.... it may come in handy.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-first-201994/

PS. As a fellow Toyota guy in CO who knows a lot of EASY trails you want to test your rig out on and not be out there alone to get stuck, let me know if you want to go put that thing in 4 low and I'll be happy to go
Thanks. That is really helpful. I'll send you a PM to find a time to head up some of those trails. Before I take this truck off road I have something I would like to fix. Not 100% sure what the problem is exactly, but when I make a tight turn, I get a LOT of loud popping sound from the front suspension. I don't know if something needs to be replaced, or just lubed. To be continued...
Old 05-24-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
On your cold start, you have a timing switch on the front of the intake system. Probalby need to just take it out and give a good cleanng. I have it listed on the first post of my 88 build and what to look for. Nice truck.
Thanks Terry. I'll check it out on your post.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:55 PM

That popping sound is completely normal for IFS. There are steering stops that keep you from turning the wheels too far and destroying stuff They originally came with some type of rubber/plastic caps on them to keep the noise down but as old as our trucks are I don't think there is one left that still has the caps on them.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:16 PM

Scour ebay for the cold start sensor. There's a couple dealers that have them time to time and test them before putting them up. I got mine for 25 instead of 150... they go by a few different names depending on who's posting. Csi time switch. Thermo time sensor. Cold start sensor. And all combinations you could think of. Fixed my cold start problem easy
Old 05-25-2012, 01:31 PM

That popping sound is completely normal for IFS. There are steering stops that keep you from turning the wheels too far and destroying stuff They originally came with some type of rubber/plastic caps on them to keep the noise down but as old as our trucks are I don't think there is one left that still has the caps on them.
Okay, I really want to believe you, but it sounds really bad. It sounds like metal snapping. But if that is normal, do you know of anyway of dampening the sound? I imagine those caps are impossible to find.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by MaxwellE54
Scour ebay for the cold start sensor. There's a couple dealers that have them time to time and test them before putting them up. I got mine for 25 instead of 150... they go by a few different names depending on who's posting. Csi time switch. Thermo time sensor. Cold start sensor. And all combinations you could think of. Fixed my cold start problem easy
This is great idea, thank you.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:21 PM

Check this thread out. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...inding-238600/

If you look under there I bet this is what you'll see or maybe even worse. This is likely the cause of that noise. It does sound terrible but it's normal.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:08 PM

Google toyota groan stoppers. Someone makes them out of polyurethane or some such thing. Or just grease em and see if the sound goes away. I just put some real thick grease on mine every time I do an oil change. Never makes a sound.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:55 PM

If you want a good ride still and capability you should look into the blazeland Kit. and you wont have to spend $5000 to build what you want. http://www.blazeland.us/
Old 05-25-2012, 08:10 PM

Check this thread out. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...inding-238600/

If you look under there I bet this is what you'll see or maybe even worse. This is likely the cause of that noise. It does sound terrible but it's normal.
This is a GREAT pic. I'll check it out in the morning. Thanks.

Quick Reply: So I Bought an '86 for $1000...