Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

this is so depressing...

Old 08-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Unhappy this is so depressing...

So I know a GREAT number of people watched and kept up with my engine rebuild in the thread. I had a blast doing it, and was pleased with all of the positive comments and compliments that I received from everyone. I put every last hour of every day, and every last dollar I had at the time to get the motor done and in the truck.

well, 3 months later, and over $2,000 later, this is what it all boils down to...

Old 08-10-2009, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awww hell. no big deal.. you got this far...

you know what has to be done. sorry about it tho.. i'm sure your pissed.. nothing to say. chin up... buddy
Old 08-10-2009, 04:19 PM

ive done that too, best thing is more than likely you can do it with your eyes closed now. As well you know the hand full of tools to bring over to the truck.

give her hell bud
Old 08-10-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Wait I can see there's a coolant leak( I think). But what happened exactly?

Old 08-10-2009, 04:24 PM

DUDE!!!! thats an engnbldr head aint it??? its the dowel pin holes in the head i swear.. i fought and fought and fought with mine! finaly i had the guy who built the motor come pick up the entire truck and take it back to his shop and pull the head and re-drill the dowel hole. apparently there has been "issue" latley with these heads. ..... man i know how your feeling and it sucks.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:26 PM

crap i almost forgot mention that the reason that the dowel pin has to be drilled out a bit is that its slightly undersized or burred and so the head will not seat down all the way when you torque the head.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
oh crap man!!! WTH?

Tear it apart man and geturdun!!! We'll be here to cheer you on!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:33 PM

ouch! man that sucks. good luck fixin it
Old 08-10-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awww Hell!

I feel your pain, Dude. JUST when you thought you were out, they PULLED you back in!!

So WTH actually happened? Please be specific.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:47 PM

after all that work cleaning that motor up you get it dirty in less then a month....

i'm sorry i justed wanted the first crack at it.. you'll have it up and purring in no time.

i cant help but wonder... the t-stat houseing and h/g both leaked... whats the odd of two leaks? maybe i'm just over thinking.. did you use new head bolts?

Last edited by korn111685; 08-10-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to see you go through all you've go through only to find a leak.
but isn't that the point of making build threads? Doing work and documenting it... doing everything by the book. Honestly, hopefully, you encounter an issue no one else has documented before, otherwise any write-up is just like the last.

But now you can tell others that "this" is something you should verify.

You are now infamous.

~me
Old 08-10-2009, 04:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by korn111685
...i cant help but wonder... the t-stat houseing and h/g both leaked... whats the odd of two leaks? maybe i'm just over thinking.. did you use new head bolts?
The leak is on the exhaust side of the engine....
Old 08-10-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
The leak is on the exhaust side of the engine....
but he also had a t-stat houseing leak... in his rebuild thread pg 34 i think... with pix

Last edited by korn111685; 08-10-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't know exactly how this happened?!?!

I got under the truck today as I rolled pass mile 504 pulling into my driveway, and started to change the oil when I noticed green fluid everywhere

so I just started by checking the overfill tank, and sure enough it was really close to being bone dry, but at least the radiator itself was full

so I got to looking around and saw that. I feared it was the head gasket right away, and after snapping that second pic and looking at it, it confirmed my fear

the head gasket is the "Rock" brand that comes in the engnbldr kit, which I wasn't too fond of to begin with, only because I had NEVER heard of them before

used new head bolts from engnbldr, and I only HOPE that I can re-use them with the head gasket job; please somebody clarify on that

I don't think the dowels are stopping the head from seating down all of the way, because I actually sat the head on the block without a gasket at all when the head arrived, just as a test fit, and it sat down perfectly flat against the block surface

the only reason this really has me so down is because my main focus this week was going to be finding an apartment or condo, cause I'm living with my sister right now unfortunately, and I have just got to get out of here quick before she throws me out, lol. I'm going to keep doing that this week though and keep an eye on the coolant level. the good thing is that it's not mixing with the oil or vice-versa, so it's just an external leak. I'm going to try and pick up an OEM TOYOTA head gasket this week, and might get it reinstalled this weekend, if not then the following weekend. Money's really tight right now, and I might have to put it off that extra week before I get the next paycheck

the truck's running great though, so that's a plus. I need to re-adjust the valves as it's still got a little ticking going on, and there's an annoying exhaust leak at the block off plates on the header because the welds around the header tubes is keeping the plates from laying flat on the header flange, but I guess I'll take care of that when I remove the header for the head gasket job

it just seems like it never changes for me... just as I get one MAJOR accomplishment done and I think all is well and everything's going just peachy, something has to jump up and kick me in the @$$

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 08-10-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:02 PM
T4L

I'd be sooooo pissed. At least you have a nice clean engine to work on.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Dude, if I was close I be there in heartbeat...not that that's any help.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I don't know exactly how this happened?!?!

I got under the truck today as I rolled pass mile 504 pulling into my driveway, and started to change the oil when I noticed green fluid everywhere

so I just started by checking the overfill tank, and sure enough it was really close to being bone dry, but at least the radiator itself was full

so I got to looking around and saw that. I feared it was the head gasket right away, and after snapping that second pic and looking at it, it confirmed my fear

the head gasket is the "Rock" brand that comes in the engnbldr kit, which I wasn't too fond of to begin with, only because I had NEVER heard of them before

used new head bolts from engnbldr, and I only HOPE that I can re-use them with the head gasket job; please somebody clarify on that

I don't think the dowels are stopping the head from seating down all of the way, because I actually sat the head on the block without a gasket at all when the head arrived, just as a test fit, and it sat down perfectly flat against the block surface

the only reason this really has me so down is because my main focus this week was going to be finding an apartment or condo, cause I'm living with my sister right now unfortunately, and I have just got to get out of here quick before she throws me out, lol. I'm going to keep doing that this week though and keep an eye on the coolant level. the good thing is that it's not mixing with the oil or vice-versa, so it's just an external leak. I'm going to try and pick up an OEM TOYOTA head gasket this week, and might get it reinstalled this weekend, if not then the following weekend. Money's really tight right now, and I might have to put it off that extra week before I get the next paycheck

the truck's running great though, so that's a plus. I need to re-adjust the valves as it's still got a little ticking going on, and there's an annoying exhaust leak at the block off plates on the header because the welds around the header tubes is keeping the plates from laying flat on the header flange, but I guess I'll take care of that when I remove the header for the head gasket job

it just seems like it never changes for me... just as I get one MAJOR accomplishment done and I think all is well and everything's going just peachy, something has to jump up and kick me in the @$$

nooooo no buddy. you done a great job. sometimes you just have to work out the kinks.. thats what your doing. nothing these days are perfect. you'll get it fix and on your way before you know it.

it's a learning curve... nip it in the butt and GET-R-DONE as they say..
Old 08-10-2009, 05:10 PM

ya "rock" is engnbldr's brand of choice you could say, i really dont like the quality of the products and i to have a "rock" headgasket. some people iv talked to say there great and havnt had any issues with premature failure, but then iv talked to a local shop and they say that most of the 22re hd gasket jobs are because of the "rock" gasket failing. the guy said he has seen a few that only lasted around 10,000 miles before failing. i know when i need to do one im going with the factory toyota replacement gasket

i to have the engnbldr head bolts on my motor and they were reused when i had this issue, the guy at the shop who rebuilt the motor said they would be fine..... it it was more of a performance motor i wouldnt think twice about replaceing them, iv seen streched head bolts cause major facepalm moments.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
dude you'll get it squared away in no time...now u can walk us all thru how to properly replace a HG, it could be a lot worse man! i mean its not like you wrecked ur baby or anything! You'll get 'er!
Old 08-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that sux big time BLEEDER , now I am worried that maybe I should change my head gasket before I finish my motor up.

Search this Thread