86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Slotted roters worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
BREMBO anyone....??

u might want to read (or re-read) my 1st post about QUALITY....

Last edited by idanity; 10-03-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by idanity
BREMBO anyone....??

u might want to read (or re-read) my 1st post about QUALITY....
And, as I said, quality ones probably won't experience stress cracks, however they still won't improve stopping ability at all. They will decrease it, everything else being the same. Less surface area and less mass = less stopping ability.

Fred
Old 10-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want increased stopping power, go with larger diameter rotors, rather than the slotted rotors.

To answer the thread title's question of 'are slotted rotors worth the money', NO. They certainly are not. While you may notice a slight advantage in heat dissapation over stock brakes of the same size, you will not be able to stop larger tires any easier, or save any money with the drilled/slotted rotors.

My suggestion is to upgrade your front rotors to a larger diameter, as well as the rim size to accomidate the larger rotors. Since 80% of your braking power is in your front wheels, upgrade the front before you upgrade the rear. Unfortunately, my 4Runner came from the factory with rear ABS, which is pretty much pointless, unless I feel the need to fry the clutch and power brake it.

Bottom line: I'd upgrade the front rotors to a larger diameter for increased stopping power, and NOT get slotted rotors.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by stormin94
If you want increased stopping power, go with larger diameter rotors, rather than the slotted rotors.

To answer the thread title's question of 'are slotted rotors worth the money', NO. They certainly are not. While you may notice a slight advantage in heat dissapation over stock brakes of the same size, you will not be able to stop larger tires any easier, or save any money with the drilled/slotted rotors.

My suggestion is to upgrade your front rotors to a larger diameter, as well as the rim size to accomidate the larger rotors. Since 80% of your braking power is in your front wheels, upgrade the front before you upgrade the rear. Unfortunately, my 4Runner came from the factory with rear ABS, which is pretty much pointless, unless I feel the need to fry the clutch and power brake it.

Bottom line: I'd upgrade the front rotors to a larger diameter for increased stopping power, and NOT get slotted rotors.
And who makes a conversion kit to larger diameter rotors for that vehicle ?

Fred
Old 10-04-2009, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on what you do with your rig . If you see alot of competion type events then yah if its your daily driver that sees the trail once a month or less then no imo
Old 10-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FredTJ
And who makes a conversion kit to larger diameter rotors for that vehicle ?

Fred
I'm not too sure about that for these Toyotas. But you could definitely do it yourself, although it wouldn't be as easy as a kit.

It's fairly safe to assume that you could fine lots of info on that here on YT though.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by stormin94
I'm not too sure about that for these Toyotas. But you could definitely do it yourself, although it wouldn't be as easy as a kit.

It's fairly safe to assume that you could fine lots of info on that here on YT though.
I'm not looking to do it.
It's not a trivial job by any means. You can't just slap larger diameter rotors on. You would have to make a bracket to move the calipers up further and that would have to be a really beefy bracket. There is a lot of force there.

Fred
Old 10-04-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
it may be easier to get a deployable parachute...
Old 10-04-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say that I upgraded the front rotors on my mustang to slotted rotors and absolutely love them! Make sure to buy a good name brand, cheap out and they are no better than stock. If swapping always go with a better pad (I use ebc, and they are amazing!) the combination of the better rotors and pads will certainly make a big difference. Also I have seen the ebc pads last far longer than stock on the mustang. as with almost all front engine vehicles about 80% of braking is done by the front brakes, so that'd be where i'd upgrade first.