Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Should there be ANY slack in the timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Should there be ANY slack in the timing chain?

I have had nothing but bad luck with my engine. I bought it knowing I would have to do the timing chain. I did and it was fine. I blew the motor 6 months later though.
I messed up and put one of the oil pump bolts in the wrong spot during the engine rebuilds. It was hitting the tensioner boot and keeping it from functioning correctly. I just fixed that.

Last week I noticed a massive oil leak. So I dug in again to find a cracked timing cover(it was fine when I had it out and cleaning it.

But before taking everything apart and just had the valve cover off, I noticed there was slack in the chain on the drivers side, just like there was the slack when the tensioner was blocked. I have a massive exaust leak so I couldnt really hear the chain rattle if i tried. I was able play with the chain a little bit on the sprocket just above the drivers side guide. Is this normal? the timing kit on there is almost brand new(at the time of the rebuild).

When I went to turn it to top dead center, the slack went away. but isnt the chain supposed to be tight all the way around?

Thanks, and sorry if the slack is normal, I had to vent pretty bad. Kinda like when my trans input seal started leaking right after I put the trans back in after REDOING the defective clutch
thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you remember what size that bolt that interfered with the tensioner should be?

Last edited by jeetS; 06-20-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Yes there will be some slack in that chain when the engine if off because the tensioner is supplied by oil pressure which is not there when the engine is running. IIRC with my new timing chain kit I has roughly 1/3 of a tooth slack in the chain if pulling up on the cam sprocket that slack once the engine is running is taken up by the fact the crank sproket pulls the chain on the drivers side tight and the passenger slack is taken up once the tensioner extends with oil pressure when running. If you got a 1/2 or more tooth in slack at the top it's time for a new kit.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 06-20-2011 at 08:02 AM.