Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Should the cold start injector timer be activated immediately after the engine starts

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should the cold start injector timer be activated immediately after the engine starts

Here's another area that I'm looking at to eliminate the rough idling issue. I'm not sure if it's directly related to my problem, however, it's just something that I've noticed since the problems began.

I've noticed that my engine used to rev up immediately after starting, without giving it more gas. Now, it only does so after depressing the accelerator, which usually happens when I start to move, or unless I'm under the hood and giving it gas by moving the throttle linkage.

Is it possible that the start injector time switch is faulty, or perhaps the water temperature sensor is faulty? My understanding is that the start injector time switch is not controlled/monitored by the ECU and is dependent upon the water temperature sensor.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO.

Having just done a ton of research to fix My cold start injector I know a thing or two about this

First off the Cold Start Injector is GROUND -Switched from the Cold start injector time switch. the Positive end of the CSI Is attached to the starter.

When the Time switch senses its "COLD" it closes and completes the ground loop.

But being the fact that the CSI is drawing power from the starter the CSI ONLY Fires when the engine is being turned over.

Hope that helps.

Sounds like the Idle up screw adjustment or the coolent sensor beside the Cold Start Injector Sensor (if its a 22RE)

Last edited by 4Hummer; 10-25-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
NO.

When the Time switch senses its "COLD" it closes and completes the ground loop.

Sounds like the Idle up screw adjustment or the coolent sensor beside the Cold Start Injector Sensor (if its a 22RE)
Does this mean that the CSI will only inject fuel if the time switch senses that the coolant is cold during start up? So if it senses a warm or hot engine, the CSI will not inject fuel into the plenum at start up?

Thanks for the reply.

Troy
Old 10-26-2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by troy65
Does this mean that the CSI will only inject fuel if the time switch senses that the coolant is cold during start up? So if it senses a warm or hot engine, the CSI will not inject fuel into the plenum at start up?

Thanks for the reply.

Troy

That is correct. and it only fires while the engine is being turned over (Or the starter in engaged)
Old 10-27-2005, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Michael. I just checked the resistance specs for both the CSI time switch and the coolant temperature sensor. Both are within spec.

Troy
Old 10-27-2005, 06:07 AM

No Problem. Hope you figure the problem out.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
No Problem. Hope you figure the problem out.
With help from members of Yotatech and friends who are mechanics, we have narrowed it down to a fuel system problem. I ran a can of seafoam in my gas tank yesterday and although I can't say for sure whether the seafoam helped or not, it seems to be a little smoother now. I've also booked an appointment with a local Toyota dealership who will do fuel injection cleaning for me. I'm just relieved that it hasn't been bucking and stalling during idling for the past couple of days.

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 10-27-2005 at 12:44 PM.