86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

shifting becoming difficult

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shifting becoming difficult

for some reason all of a sudden it is starting to become very difficult to put it into gear sometimes. especially first gear. does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you recently change your oil? If so, did you use strictly GL-4? I can't find ANY GL-4 in town so I had to put GL-5 in and it's pretty hard to shift when it's cold. Especially first and second.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hows the fluid in the clutch cylinder?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:38 PM

i have never changed my transmission fluid... and i will check the slave cylinder level tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by toyotanick
i have never changed my transmission fluid...

lol well then I have no idea what could be causing you transmission problems. It's a mystery.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by toyotanick
... and i will check the slave cylinder level tomorrow.
I'd recommend not just checking it, but also flushing it with DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.
If it's low and sucked air, or is contaminated in some way, that could limit the throw of the release arm and not fully disengage the clutch when you press the pedal.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
is this a manual or a stick? If manual maybe the shift seat bushing finally cracked and a piece is binding.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
is this a manual or a stick? If manual maybe the shift seat bushing finally cracked and a piece is binding.
Manual or stick?

lol I had to say it. I'm just assuming it's a manual by the way he was saying it's hard to shift into first, but I guess he could still be talking about an auto.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
is this a manual or a stick?
Get some more sleep Robb.

Simplest thing to check is the shifter seat and bushing. They wear out and shifting becomes crappy. I'd try that first.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:13 PM

sorry to bring this up alive.. just bought 89 regular cab and im having the same problem all th sudden.. having a hard time putting into first and second...i didnt see any oil leak by tranny... where is that shifter seat and bushing located?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
in the seat of the shifter. also look into the clutch pedal bracket. it might be cracked, or the clutch pedal might be out of adjustment.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 09-02-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:19 PM

the shifter seat and bushing is where the shift lever pivots. remove the shifter boot. looking down at the transmission, the shifter enters the transmission through a circular clip. push down on the clip, and rotate it counter clockwise untill it stops. it should then pop up, and you'll be able to pull the shift lever out. the bushing is on the end of the shifter. the seat is on a machined lip just below the two studs that the shifter locks in with. if the seat is not on this machined lip, it has deteriorated and fallen apart, falling into the trans to be ground into a million little rubber pieces...
Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM

thanks guys... hopefully i wont have that problem later.. ill check on it tmrw...
Old 09-15-2010, 11:04 AM

i have the same problem

im trying to get the shifter out but i cant it only pushes down a few cm and it wont turn any ideas on how to loosen it?. will wd 40 help?...im trying to get this done now so any help will b greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:40 AM

ok i thought i wont have this problem anymore.... since i havent driven the car in a while.. all i did to the car is change engine oil... didnt even touch tranny or clutch fluid... but a bit more detailed of my problem: it happens when i drive the car for a while say about 35miles.. then i start having trouble getting into any gear , i have to really jam it to put it on any gear it will go, once for example it goes on third while still having clutch pedal depressed, it goes into second smoothly... but once im on a stop and let go of clutch pedal, and go on first or second or even third, it gets really tough... so when i park the car and shut the engine off, and depress the clutch pedal, it goes to any gears no problem.... so i leave the car in parking lot for about 4hours and come back driving it , its fine then around 30 miles later, it starts happening again... what the hell...

im suspecting, maybe slave cylinder? clutch fluid? getting maybe air when oil gets hot? not sure... help me out guys
Old 02-26-2011, 01:31 PM

anyone guys?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:43 AM

Your truck's symptoms mirror mine exactly.
A little history: Bought my truck in 2001 with 142K miles; Now I have over 250K. From the beginning, there was a very slight resistance to putting it into 1st gear when stopped. Over the years that resistance has gradually gotten worse. Now, once the truck warms up(30+ min of driving, highway or street) it can be very resistant to going into gear. Clutch is fine, shifter seat is fine, gear oil is MT-90(GL-4).
I have concluded that the sychronizers are just about worn out in the trans, and a rebuilt unit is in my near future. I wonder how much longer the trans would have lasted if the the original pothead owners had EVER checked, added, or changed the trans oil. I'll never know that one!
Band-Aid fix: When you are having trouble getting it into gear, try depressing the clutch pedal, moderately rev the engine while applying light force on the shifter toward the the gear you want to enter. On mine, this usually eases it into gear without having to force it.

UPDATE: Talked to experienced trans service tech today; he demonstrated that as far as he could discern from the trans behavior, it was the (30K mile)clutch not disengaging, not a synchro issue. The plot thickens... I'll report what happens, but it might not be until next week. -KB-

Last edited by Keith B.; 02-28-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by misaelmelchor
ok i thought i wont have this problem anymore.... since i havent driven the car in a while.. all i did to the car is change engine oil... didnt even touch tranny or clutch fluid... but a bit more detailed of my problem: it happens when i drive the car for a while say about 35miles.. then i start having trouble getting into any gear , i have to really jam it to put it on any gear it will go, once for example it goes on third while still having clutch pedal depressed, it goes into second smoothly... but once im on a stop and let go of clutch pedal, and go on first or second or even third, it gets really tough... so when i park the car and shut the engine off, and depress the clutch pedal, it goes to any gears no problem.... so i leave the car in parking lot for about 4hours and come back driving it , its fine then around 30 miles later, it starts happening again... what the hell...

im suspecting, maybe slave cylinder? clutch fluid? getting maybe air when oil gets hot? not sure... help me out guys
Like they said above: check the clutch pedal bracket. They flex and crck and flex some more. Eventually shifting becomes impossible because the clutch isn't disengaged when you push thwe pedal in. Also not unlikely the bushing in the shift linkage in top of trans is worn-out. Both conditions were present on mine at 150,000 miles.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:32 PM

thanks guys so much... ill double check the clutch bracket... i doubt it is... im leaning towards the tranny itself...
Old 07-19-2011, 07:37 AM

whats the word?

Quick Reply: shifting becoming difficult