86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shift on the fly after converting to manual hubs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 11:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Shift on the fly after converting to manual hubs

Tried searching but couldnt find anything that directly addressed my question. My 88 V6 4runner originally came with the crappy auto hubs. The previous owner converted them to manual warn hubs which work fine. My question is was this truck capable of shift on the fly? My prior 86 could do it all day but my 88 doesn't seem to want to do it and I don't want to force it .I was just wondering if there is a difference between a truck with factory manual hubs vs one that has been converted.

​​​​​​Also, the 4WD light doesn't automatically go out when I shift into 2WD. I have to move back or forth to get it to go out. Is that part of the electronics from the auto hubs?

Both trucks are manual transmission btw.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:18 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by 881stgen
Tried searching but couldnt find anything that directly addressed my question. My 88 V6 4runner originally came with the crappy auto hubs. The previous owner converted them to manual warn hubs which work fine. My question is was this truck capable of shift on the fly? My prior 86 could do it all day but my 88 doesn't seem to want to do it and I don't want to force it .I was just wondering if there is a difference between a truck with factory manual hubs vs one that has been converted.

​​​​​​Also, the 4WD light doesn't automatically go out when I shift into 2WD. I have to move back or forth to get it to go out. Is that part of the electronics from the auto hubs?

Both trucks are manual transmission btw.

Thanks.
the auto hubs on an '88 weren't electric, they are mechanically operating. for non-hard core wheeling, they work just fine.

it should shift on the fly as long as the hubs have been locked prior to shifting the transfer case from 2wd to 4hi, but it won't work shifting from 4hi to 4 lo.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:31 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
You have the V6, which has the chain drive tcase. It has a couple of features that the gear-drives don't have.
1) If has a synchronizer that allows shifting from 4lo to 4hi while moving (slowly), but not the other way around.
2) It has another synchronizer that allows shifting from 2wd to 4wd-hi while moving, with auto hubs or with ADD. Shifting on the fly will always work with manual hubs locked in. No need for a synchronizer for that.
3) Finally, Toyota spring loaded the shifter so you can move it out of 4wd even if the gears are still bound up. Then, when tension is released on the gears, the actual gears unlock. That's the reason for the delayed reaction. It's important to know that, as long as the 4wd light is on, the vehicle is still in 4wd, regardless of shifter position. Under the same circumstances (gears still bound up), you wouldn't be able to move the shift lever on a gear-drive case, and would have to move back and forth before you could actually shift the lever. The chain drive spring load system is handy because it allows you to move the lever at your convenience, and the gears will eventually take care of themselves as you drive.

Shifting on the fly will work better if you put Redline GL-4 gear oil in the case. The more common GL-5 oils are slicker, and the synchronizers don't work as well. This is also true for your transmission.

Last edited by RJR; 03-03-2019 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by RJR
You have the V6, which has the chain drive tcase. It has a couple of features that the gear-drives don't have.
1) If has a synchronizer that allows shifting from 4lo to 4hi while moving (slowly), but not the other way around.
2) It has another synchronizer that allows shifting from 2wd to 4wd-hi while moving, with auto hubs or with ADD. Shifting on the fly will always work with manual hubs locked in. No need for a synchronizer for that.
3) Finally, Toyota spring loaded the shifter so you can move it out of 4wd even if the gears are still bound up. Then, when tension is released on the gears, the actual gears unlock. That's the reason for the delayed reaction. It's important to know that, as long as the 4wd light is on, the vehicle is still in 4wd, regardless of shifter position. Under the same circumstances (gears still bound up), you wouldn't be able to move the shift lever on a gear-drive case, and would have to move back and forth before you could actually shift the lever. The chain drive spring load system is handy because it allows you to move the lever at your convenience, and the gears will eventually take care of themselves as you drive.

Shifting on the fly will work better if you put Redline GL-4 gear oil in the case. The more common GL-5 oils are slicker, and the synchronizers don't work as well. This is also true for your transmission.
This is great information! Thank you so much for the quick reply! Gonna go pick up some new gear oil when I get home from vacation!
Old 03-05-2019, 10:55 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Just a further comment. GL-4 gear oil is hard to find in the local auto parts stores. I generally order it online.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by RJR
Just a further comment. GL-4 gear oil is hard to find in the local auto parts stores. I generally order it online.
So I can put this in TCase and transmission? And can it go in the rear diff too? If so I'll just order a bunch of it. There are a couple of specialty auto parts store I might try first. And it's 75w90? That's the one I keep seeing. Thanks again.

Never mind, just read that this shouldn't be used in the rear diff.

Last edited by 881stgen; 03-05-2019 at 11:06 AM.