86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Senior project ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Senior project ideas?

Unfortunately I have to do a senior project since obviously I am a senior in high school...lol. I want to do something with a Toyota...lol. Here are my ideas:

-> Get a 22r block...and build it to have more power

-> Buy an early 80's 2wd long bed 20r/22r pickup and rebuild the engine and either keep it or sell it.

-> I was also thinking about converting my truck over to a 4wd with a straight axle

If you were to do a senior project what would you do?

Last edited by 91Toyota; 10-15-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
What are the requirements? What kind of class? Time restaints? How much cash are you going to dump into this all that you mention are several hundred to a couple grand ideas, what's the budget? What kind of tools/skills/facilities do you have? You gotta give up the specifics.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:05 AM

At my school, last year for my senior project, there was two categories that the project could fall under. A) career orientated or B) community service.

I was gonna say i wanted to be a welder and make some bumpers and sliders but i didn't have any money so i decided to go with option B.

i ended up coaching a little league baseball team. Well assistant coaching.
I don't have anything cool to show now, as far as my truck goes, but it does add another item to the list of community service ive done for college scholarships, applications. etc...
Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
What are the requirements? What kind of class? Time restaints? How much cash are you going to dump into this all that you mention are several hundred to a couple grand ideas, what's the budget? What kind of tools/skills/facilities do you have? You gotta give up the specifics.
Honestly we actually haven't went over the requirements yet. My teacher wants to wait til january to tell us what we need to do and I would rather just get all my stuff together and do it.

Supposed to be 40 hours of work outside of class
Complete something (for the most part!)
Class is pretty much do whatever you want for your project (Senior Seminar)

Not sure what my budget is...I just started working this week So I can save about $200 per month. ~$200 birthday ~$400 christmas.

So...$600 + ($200x5) = $1600. <- Thats about my budget.

I have a shop to work in. I have a lot of tools. Welder, impact, engine stand, cherry picker, and lots of craftsman tools...I did just rebuild my engine

The tires are the priciest thing IMHO...I would probably put them on an account at Les Scwab. lol

Last edited by 91Toyota; 10-15-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
At my school, last year for my senior project, there was two categories that the project could fall under. A) career orientated or B) community service.

I was gonna say i wanted to be a welder and make some bumpers and sliders but i didn't have any money so i decided to go with option B.

i ended up coaching a little league baseball team. Well assistant coaching.
I don't have anything cool to show now, as far as my truck goes, but it does add another item to the list of community service ive done for college scholarships, applications. etc...
Some community service always helps. We can pretty much do anything as long as it shows we put work into something and we completed it. Pretty basic...but I would rather do something cool
Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 AM

What kind of class?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:17 AM

I'm not looking for an extreme off-road truck. I would like:

Straight axle and 33"-35" tires...no more. Thats pretty much it.

I'm open to any ideas!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm rebuilding another 22RE for my senior project.
Definitely excited for mine.
Not gonna build it as hot as the last one though

why not do a fullwidth axle swap on a t100 and keep it low and mean looking but than again i don't know your budget

What kind of class?
Its called Senior Seminar. All seniors take it (probably 85 or so...small school) and we have to make sure we get our requirements from the state done to graduate. Lets see; my older brother took pilot lessons, someone rebuilt a quad, someone designed a sand-rail...but never built it...so its pretty open
Old 10-15-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
right there with ya bro. im a senior to. but i dont have to do a project. but if it were me... i build a front bumper... always wanted
Old 10-15-2008, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by bigarms23
why not do a fullwidth axle swap on a t100 and keep it low and mean looking but than again i don't know your budget
I don't have a t-100...lol.

I'm rebuilding another 22RE for my senior project.
Definitely excited for mine.
Not gonna build it as hot as the last one though
LOL...yeah that sounds fun. It should be cheaper though!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by yoder519
right there with ya bro. im a senior to. but i dont have to do a project. but if it were me... i build a front bumper... always wanted
Not a bad idea...but I would then want a winch...but then would I really need one for my 2wd? I do like to get into trouble

Your lucky you don't have to do a project! It has to be 10 minutes long standing in front of all our teachers. lol
Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 AM

we posted at same time. Are you going onto college? If so what area of study? The reason I ask is simple: Our trucks cool and a lot can be learned from them, but some things carry more weight with those that look at us to determine if we get into this or that. Key traits schools look at is leadership, community service, lessons learned, determination. Don't sell your self short your young once live it the the fullest. There's many things in life to learn and old trucks will always be there. Do something that challenges you and that you haven't done yet, maybe something out of your comfort zone. You'll learn more and stand out.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:29 AM

Why not buy a 4 wheel drive truck thats in crappy condition, fix it, then either sell your 2wd to compensate for money spent or on upgrades and keep it or flip it for more than you put into it...
Old 10-15-2008, 01:03 PM

we posted at same time. Are you going onto college? If so what area of study? The reason I ask is simple: Our trucks cool and a lot can be learned from them, but some things carry more weight with those that look at us to determine if we get into this or that. Key traits schools look at is leadership, community service, lessons learned, determination. Don't sell your self short your young once live it the the fullest. There's many things in life to learn and old trucks will always be there. Do something that challenges you and that you haven't done yet, maybe something out of your comfort zone. You'll learn more and stand out.
Thanks! I'm looking into being an electrician. I am not 100% sure yet. I have changed my mind a lot lately. lol.

That definitely makes sense. And I see what your saying. Which is a GREAT idea! I will have to think more on this...and see what is out of my comfort zone. Thank you so much!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Why not buy a 4 wheel drive truck thats in crappy condition, fix it, then either sell your 2wd to compensate for money spent or on upgrades and keep it or flip it for more than you put into it...
2wd to 4wd conversion would be cheaper insurance....and most of the parts on the 4wd would be wasted anyway.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Unfortunately I have to do a senior project since obviously I am a senior in high school...lol. I want to do something with a Toyota...lol. Here are my ideas:

-> Get a 22r block...and build it to have more power

-> Buy an early 80's 2wd long bed 20r/22r pickup and rebuild the engine and either keep it or sell it.

-> I was also thinking about converting my truck over to a 4wd with a straight axle

If you were to do a senior project what would you do?
geeze im glad i graduated the year before that senior project deal. i thought it was just for the bend area schools but apperently its a state wide thing.

as far as your budget goes i have a good 5 speed 2wd tranny you can have if you come to bend and get it.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by hillbillydeelux
geeze im glad i graduated the year before that senior project deal. i thought it was just for the bend area schools but apperently its a state wide thing.

as far as your budget goes i have a good 5 speed 2wd tranny you can have if you come to bend and get it.
lol...yeah I know...such a crappy deal. Oh well. Thanks for the offer! If you still have it in the future I might take it off your hands!

Last time I was in bend was in July. Went over to crooked river ranch in Terrebonne...I'm sure you know where that's at. lol. But usually I take a trip there every once in awhile to East Fort Rock to go dirt biking. Nice to see someone from Oregon though
Old 10-15-2008, 01:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I noticed you mentioned being an electrician. Perhaps you could get an alternator out of a junk yard, rebuild it, fab up a mount and then convert the alt into an on board welder. Then you could either prove or disprove how well (or if) it works by welding up some plate in the class and stress testing it.

When you get it to work you'll have something really neat that you did yourself and an OBW system that you can use for trail repairs once you rat hole the money for the SAS and start wheeling.

Another advantage is that you won't have your truck torn apart for the project.

*luagh* For my senior project about a thousand years ago I took a 1964 Ford T-bid 390 and punched that pig to a 422 and dropped it into a 76 drag truck. Heck of a lot of fun at 6 mpg in town and that thing still had "go" when the speedo was pegged and the front end, fenders and hood were shaking so bad I thought the truck would fly apart. I never did find out how fast it would really go, stop light to stop light was enough for me.

Last edited by Junkers88; 10-15-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Senior project ideas?