Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Self-Painted rigs

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my appoligies(spelling???) trustyrusty i meant yoder519..lol..you quoted his pics or whatever and i seen your name..lol

Dupont chromobase seems to be some good stuff...i'll look at it..after all the paint that i choose will be the cheapest...but i will not sacrifice quality..i want it to be good stuff..but not break the bank..and i will probably roll on some herculiner on the bottom half of the truck...lol..that should take care of the chipping...ooooo..dark mineral grey with the black bedliner on the bottom..that'd look good..but so would gloss white with the bedliner on the bottom..
Old 07-11-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tremclad flat black thinned with mineral spirits. 4 coats cost $30.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Yacht paint worked for me. If I would have wet sanded it a few times it would have been great. after 2 years I had zero fade. I think DJlaroc mixed and sprayed his with a HVLP and had great results.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
idk..i might rattle can it and do some wetsanding..of course then it would take like fricken 20 cans..lol..

i do use an over lapping pattern it took a whole can of rustoleum (the 33% more can too) to give the hood 2 coats..now when i laid down the second coat it looks ALOT better than the first..(hood as already black though) and i might lay down a 3rd coat to see how it comes out...i guess i'll test my ideas and tricks on the hood...if i like it i'll do the whole truck..

i'll wetsand the second coat then lay down a 3rd...

look at TrustyRusty's second pic...look at the top of the fender..you can EASILY tell thats a spray can job...

thats what im trying to stay away from...that look
yea its not the best looking paint in the world, but it works for what i want. it looks like that on the fender cuz i didnt paint the whoel truck yet just that one side. this is teh way i look at it: i spent bought 20 bucks on Krylon and sandpaper, about 7 cans. ive already put 2 more dents in it, and scratched it to hell. and i dont care. if i had spent big money on a paint job, i woulda cried. the cheaper the paint, the less ull care about body damage. if you wheel hard, rattle can it
Old 07-12-2009, 06:06 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sh0kk86
toyospearo, ive wanted that fj40 dune beige color for so long now. whered you find it?
right here! http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/colorcodes.html
Mine is from BASF under their Limco name.
PPG makes the color however it is a little different. Almost a shade darker.
Hope that helps.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 AM

have you tried local body shops for scraps? with what you save on basecoat you can spend on good clear.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Rustuleum Gloss Leather Brown thinned with mineral spirts out of a Harbor Freight HVLP
2 coats, not sanded yet, still have 2 more coats to go

MRO High Gloss Black rattle can with 0 prep
Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 AM

ok 4bangin..you did it for me

rustoleum through the HVLP guns im getting...

but now onto what color..LMAO!..
im kinda leanin towards the gloss white...and if i dont like it..after a bit i can paint it mineral grey..if i dont like that...just keep changin till i find a color i like
Old 07-12-2009, 10:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
and i only spent about 20 bucks for the paint and mineral spirits

lasts longer, looks better, and cheaper than a rattle can, cant complain lol
Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
i'll be painting the 2by (again) this week.... this time i'll get more than 1 coat down before having to drive it again..

i'm using the interlux brightside boat paint. dark blue.

pics to follow later

Il be waiting I want to do interlux brightside on my truck, not sure which shade blue to get. I want to see what the dark blue looks like once its rolled on..
Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 AM

so with the rustoleum paint can i use a good clear?...i've heard a few people say they havent used a clear...of course it would probably be best to not use clear..that way if i have to repaint a spot it wont be as hard..

opinions on that???
Old 07-12-2009, 12:19 PM

Back on the ship for our Ground Support Equipment (GSE, aka yellow gear) we use a enamal paint, and seems to hold up decent on the flight deck. White Primer, Gloss White Top coat. No Clear.
http://www.paintforcars.com/ I plan on buying my next projects paint from this website.
Clear coat will do 2 things for you from what I know.
1. Maintain a somewhat protective coat from the air element for your paint.
2. Allow a higher gloss look on the paint.

If you looking for ultra inexpensive but yet durable go with a rustoleum paint job. Thin the crap out of it and spray. I have painted 2 engine bays with rustoleum hammered steel look and came out what I thought great. In my 69 mustang I painted the full interior with rustoleum hammered steel as well.
Here is something I have learned as well for primers-
The lighter the primer the lighter your top color will be. i.e. yellow primer tends to brighten, black primer darkens it...
For a "candy" paint job, lay down silver after your primer, then paint your top color, then clear it. the candy paint will do the same as picking a lighter or darker primer from what I can tell.
I painted my first car when I was 13, was my sisters 71 MG midget, then a 89 ranger with a white urethane, a 71 c20, a 86 burban, and preped my other sisters 71 volkswagen super beetle. Recent paint job was last spring on my civic.
this was before I buffed out the civic, backyard paint job. just sanded and sprayed no real body work, just wanted to get rid of the rustoleum.

I think the civic costed me total of like 250 or something to paint, but have primer, color and clear left overs. only used 1/2 gallon of paint, and a gallon of clear.

Last edited by screech; 07-12-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so, any proclaimed paint experts out there, you guys should make a nice write-up! I am looking to repaint my 4runner, but not before I get a bunch of junk yard fenders and hoods. I plan to practice a TON before I tear into my 4runner. Fixing dents and creases, bondo work, practicing my sanding and buffing, and of course my spray techniques so I get no orange peel. I also want to learn to cut and buff, as I am told that adds a ton of dimension to one's paint. But some tips and pointers would be appreciated by a lot of us. Sorry Camo, I have nothing to add...
Old 07-12-2009, 01:58 PM

NAH it dont bother me...by all means ask whatever you want in this thread (paint wise)..i too will practice alot..first i gotta fix a couple of dents..the rest of my problems are DEEP scratches..all the way down to bare metal..i guess i'll just sand those all the way down..and bondo it back up to the body line?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:10 PM

yes sir, bondo can help out your body line. I bought my 69 thinking there was no bondo on it.... about a 1/2 of bondo on the drivers door told differently though after starting to prep it for a small weld.

That massive hole was nothing but a dime size when i first started on it. someone was good with bondo. I smelled the burning of bondo and grabbed the torch to blaze as much I could off then sand the rest out. Had to take it to a restore place, 500 bucks later I had a perfectly restored drivers door with little bondo on it.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:12 PM

actually I re read your post.
The scratches to metal wont affect your finished product. scratches will be filled in with primer, and will be sanded out and smoothed with the rest of the paint.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:19 PM

im bout 95% sure that just primer will not fill these scratches..lol..they are deep..

probably 2 diff bascoats and 2 coats of clear deep..and i have about 5 of them..one is size of a quarter (big rock..dang swampers) and the others are about 5in long on bedsides..other than that..and a few small dents in the hood its good..

as soon as i get the guns and the paint i will start on the body work..sand it all down good first..and if i decide to take the bed off to spray the backside of the cab..it'll be a GREAT time to install the 2in. body lift..lol

i have no experience with bondo..but i read directions perty good..as far as i know you just mix it with the hardener..lay it on perty good...then sand it smooth with the rest of the body???
Old 07-12-2009, 02:38 PM

Working on my 92 bed swap as we speak. Gonna put a couple more coats on, steel wool it, one final coat and then clear it. Herculine the bed. I did the frame with primer, paint then spray on bed liner. So far so good.

Cant wait till its done.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:30 PM

when you lay down the primer let it dry and put on a light guide coat.... say for example you use a gray primer then take an aerosol can of black primer and mist it all over the dried primer. then take a sanding block and block sand it out and any low spots or scratches will show up as black so then yopu know to add some material and block it out again.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:10 PM

hmm..didnt ever think about that highway..lol

this image is really starting to form in my of my truck with a gloss white paint job.....hahahaha...then another is forming right after it of me respraying it dark mineral grey about a yr down the road..lol

i think spray it white..black bumpers...black rims..dark tint..then if i dont like that..respray it a few months down the road the grey color..if i dont like that..who knows..possibilities are endless

Quick Reply: Self-Painted rigs