Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Self-Painted rigs

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Self-Painted rigs

ok guys...so i was spray paintin my hood gloss black (2 coats and it looks great..but im doin 4 coats instead..lol) and got to thinkin what all it would take to paint the whole truck..not with spray paint of course..

so i got to looking at guns and i can get 2 guns for $60..both HVLP and one is a 20oz and the other is a 4.5oz..

i'll be getting some of the more major defects out of the body before i paint it..as i want this to look GOOOOD...

paint is where im stuck at thought..idk what paint would be best...i want either jet black...bleach white..or like a dark mineral gray..i dont want to pay a lot just for paint.but if the stuff is good i will spend a little..lol

i already know HOW to paint..i just dont know where to get my supplies at..or like mixing paints..reducing them..all that kind of stuff...so i want something thats relatively easy to spray..

i looked at the Dupli-Color paint shop stuff..it seems ok..but i think i could do better than that..LOL

i guess im wanting to see peoples rigs they painted themselves..what kind of gun you used..and what kind of paint..
Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
did mine myself with a Sata gun and a 12.5 cfm at 90psi compressor
Color: FJ 40 dune beige # 416

Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want quality paint go with HOUSE OF KOLORSa bit expensive but a very top of the line quality paint. I used it on my 1955 HARLEY with great results I used BC BLACK as the base coat then BRANDYWINE CANDY as the final coat also did a mid clear and a top clear cost me a total of $150 bucks for the paint but that was a quart of each so it will cost you a bit more for the whole truck maybe 1/2 gallon of each?
if you call them then can tell you the amount of paint you will need to do the job.

Then again if you want something to off road I don't think I would go that route , PPG would be then better option cheaper and more suitable to respray if you have to do a few touch ups from brush/trees leaving their mark lol.

As for the gun used I used a SEARS HVLP gun at 12 psi with a water separator with a SEARS 33 gallon air compressor

Here is the results You can't see it in the picture but there are two different sizes of metal flake in the paint also small in the mid clear and large in the top clear and it gives the paint a 3D look with a lot of depth

Old 07-10-2009, 11:37 AM

I'm a little premature here but I plan on painting mine sometime this summer. I want to go with a flat orange so I will be using Kustom Shop Flatz Burnt Orange urethane. I have a DUX Gravity feed, The paint is 160, the gun was free as I used to work for them. I'll post pics when its done
Old 07-10-2009, 11:59 AM

yea..i thought about house of kolors...and since i will most likely run a mud-terrain tire...forever..and dont plan on mud flaps..i will want to go cheaper..lol..i looked at PPG but..which paint do i use..they have 12 different lines...i need you people to be more specific please..LMAO!.

Toyospearo do you have any clear on that or is that just the paint..also where did you get it?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$5o paint job with a roller - not mine but really good work

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Last edited by BoostinChick; 07-10-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:41 PM

hey yea i forgot about the roll on stuff!!!

i found some rustoleum paint in a quarts and gallons that i like..its the same stuff i painted my hood with!!!..

but idk if they have the color im wanting..would it be possible for walmart (where i found the paint) to mix it with something else to get it darker??????????..

im wanting a dark mineral grey..or a gloss white???...im being torn apart trying to decide which color to do it in..

a nice gloss white paint job and some black rims..black bumpers...tinted windows..looks absolutely amazing..but the mineral grey is nice too...

OMFG DECISIONS!?!?!?!?!?

*edit*o yea...what the hell is wetsanding..i kinda get the idea...but would be nice to see a video or a good explanation on that..lol
Old 07-10-2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"

*edit*o yea...what the hell is wetsanding..i kinda get the idea...but would be nice to see a video or a good explanation on that..lol
Youtube search it. I found a nice video. It's essentially using soapy water to dip your sandpaper in and sand the object down. The water and soap helps wash away the dusty bits and helps clean it at the same time (so the guy in the video said)
Old 07-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ide go with mineral grey, but thats also my favorite color have had 2 trucks the same color and i think i might get a third, lol heres a pic of my old ford. (i know its not a yota but still you get the point) looks good with chrome rims and black tint
Old 07-10-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is all rattel can + some dirt.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:45 PM

love them half doors!, i wanna get another set and make some so i can have reg doors and half doors when i go wheelin
Old 07-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by yoterr
love them half doors!, i wanna get another set and make some so i can have reg doors and half doors when i go wheelin
I love them to, but they are cursed everytime I put them on it rain's!
Old 07-10-2009, 02:08 PM

lmao that sucks, i ride a gsxr to work and it seems like every day its raining....
Old 07-10-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
im painting two rigs as we speak, an 88 pick up and 87 4runner....we went to a local shop and used house of colors. Used a high build epoxy primer and a 1 stage color/clear mix that is called 85 toyota true blue from the original 85 toyota line. Its nice imo because the clear and color are mixed together so you only shoot twice (primer and color/clear) I hear that the 1 stage wont last as lond as a primer, base, clear 2 stage, but its a toyota, what am i going to paint it and not wheel it, ya right! anyways it cost about 350.00 for all paint supplies, and another 100 for sand papers scrapers, paper and tape ect. i should be done with the first one here in a couple of days and i will try to get some pics up. As far as wet sanding, my understanding is its done so you get out any scratches and swirls from the more coarse grit sand paper. This is my first time painting a vehicle with out a rattle can, but i did reaserch as much as possible. good luck and have fun, remember you can always paint it again if you dont like it
Old 07-10-2009, 02:09 PM

i think i might spray it instead of roll it

but i will probably use the same rustoleum paint..but with a roller isnt it going to be THICK coats..like each time..while if you spray it its going to be a few thin coats???

i want the paint to be durable..which i know the rustoleum is..and so is the epifane stuff...and that same with interlux

i want a nice dark mineral grey..and it will have to be DURABLE (emphasis on DURABLE!!!!!)..now i know nothing is going to stand up to a 2in rock hitting it at 85mph..but still..the paint on my truck right now doesn't hold up to a small pebble at 25mph...lol

can you spray the epifane or interlux out of a gun???...

doing the roller job seems to be WAAYYYY to much work..with all the sanding and what not

and if i can paint it with a gun why not do that instead of doing the roll-on stuff...when i do paint it..i'll be prepping for a few days..bondo-ing and fixing small dents and dings as well as sanding the remaining clear-coat off..then i will lay down 2 coats of primer..with a little light sanding after each coat..then probably 3 coats of color (likely dark mineral grey..but maybe bleach white)..and do i need to sand and wetsand after each coat of paint?????????and then i will do probably 2 coats of clear...maybe 3..lol and would i need to sand or wetsand the clear???

Last edited by camo31_10.50; 07-10-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by yoterr
lmao that sucks, i ride a gsxr to work and it seems like every day its raining....
600 750 or 1000 cc ? I want to get a bike but I think I'm going to start on a dirt bike not a street bike.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:04 PM

its a 600, once you get past the scared stage your good, bout a week or 2, the bike really drives itself, you just lean and shift gears and dont get overconfident on a dirtbike, even tho their similar the driving characteristics are completely diff,
Old 07-10-2009, 03:25 PM

The last 2 i did

Old 07-10-2009, 03:40 PM

Very easy to apply. Didnt cost a dime. Highly recommended

Last edited by algranger; 07-11-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I painted mine with DuPont Chromabase and G2 clear. Between the masking, sprayable polyester filler, primer, base and clear I spent $1300 though on materials alone.

Quick Reply: Self-Painted rigs