86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SAS Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS Conversion Question

I have an 89 X cab and want to convert to straight axle. I have access to a rolling chassis of an original straight axle yota for $300 but only have moderate fab skills and only do some moderate off roading. Should I use that trucks suspension or buy the $1000 dollar kit and use that trucks axle only? If so which kit is the best value? Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-20-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Dang u guys! Hahaha..... wgat was just an itch is now beginning to fester! Haha....

Most seem to go eliminator/rebuild route. Addictedoffroad had a good deal last time I checked. Depends how much you want to get out of this thing as far as flex and such. If you don't go wheeling that much, nor expect yourself to go too crazy on the trails, I think you could go the route that many people do and peace this thing together from what you have, saving a bit of money, and losing a bit of money on certain parts you just absolutely need like the high steer, etcetera. Most all of the big sites carry the IFS eliminator kit. I think some include more goodies than others, and some have better prices than others, it all depends. Some of the guys we spoke to a Tierra Del Sol and others I just speak to on this site have been able to do straight axle swaps for under 2 grand, just scouting the classified, grabbing things here in there on sale, and doing absolutely all of the fab work themselves. What are you gonna do in the rear as far as Springs, etcetera? Are you going for super flexi or something that could handle load and give you moderate flex? Start making a big list of pros and cons and post it up here. Could never hurt, right? Best wishes man! I'm just getting started here with the 1st post , as a bump for you... But the guys that really know what they're doing with this stuff will come along, I'm sure. Just expect a few posts along the lines of, "have you tried Google or search ?" Hahaha... Actually, there are hundreds of SAS threads, all of them a good info for you, and I would put those on the list is well in your notepad or something, so you can go to the links anytime and re fine your written list. Again good luck
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakota22
I have an 89 X cab and want to convert to straight axle. I have access to a rolling chassis of an original straight axle yota for $300 but only have moderate fab skills and only do some moderate off roading. Should I use that trucks suspension or buy the $1000 dollar kit and use that trucks axle only? If so which kit is the best value? Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hi Dakota, and welcome to Yotatech. I am currently in your exact situation. Only difference is that mine is already a work in progress. There are many things that you need to take into consideration before you decide on a job at this because you can easily rack up the prices, easily up to $3000, with a project like this. At least that's where I am at more or less.

I'm pretty much doing the same thing as you I have a 1989 Toyota 4Runner V6 and I'm installing a 1985 Toyota pickup 4cyl SFA. Also doing a 4" lift, changing out my gears to 4.88's and having lockers installed in both axles.

Like I said. There's a lot to take into consideration. For instance.
You can buy the axle for $300 off your friend. Then you're gonna invest sone $$$ in a good ifs eliminator kit/sas kit whatever...

Now if u get your friends suspension leafs and shocks then wow that's a big savings on your part right there. I'd recommended calling trail gear and getting the kit off them its about $1300-1350. Have them take off the leafs and shocks since you'll already have them. Fyi They will do it. I am ordering a partial kit too because I collected a few parts myself before doing this job.
You don't wann just install the axle the way it is. You should at least invest the money into a good axle rebuild kit. I bought mine from MarlinCrawler.com I found that that one was the cheapest and have great reputation for their stuff. That kit will come with everything u need for an axle rebuild. Also make it nice n pretty. Sand it down and repaint it. If u want. (I'm in this processvin the last 2 pages of my thread atm) this kit I think comes up to around $300 give or take.

What kind of tires do u plan on running? Make sure you're geared for the tires. I'm gonna run 33's so I bought 4.88 trail creeper gears for both axles off trail-gear.com for about 250 ($290ish with shipping included for each) and 2 spartan lockers off MarlinCrawler ($404 each s&h included)
Now the problem I ran into is having gears and lockers isn't the only thing u need. U need a master bearing kit, install kit, I think a spacer kit and who knows what else. These small kits add up. I'm getting charged $770 for a shop to order those kits and install the gears and lockers into both my 3rd members. These were very unexpected costs that nobody mentioned to me when I was doing my research. So that was a hig chunk of $$$ out of my wallet.

Aside from the obvious welding materials oils grease etc.... I think I got everything.

Just keep in mind that you are hacking off your IFS system and driling through your frame. You get one shot at it lol. Keep that in kind if you don't feel comfortable doing it find somebody who can. I was lucky enough to have a neighbour who is gonna help me with mine when that time comes.

Now u said u do moderate off roading. Is it something that ifs can't do that u wanna be able to do? Check out ToyoTech559's thread. He has the awesome IFS upgraded Blazeland kit and he gets everywhere his SFA friends get through. Even Mark(Chefyota4x4) was able to keep up with my neighbours super fixed up locked front & rear dana 44 sas'ed front and rear 1989 4runner. He's done tons of upgrades and mark was able to keep up with him almost everywhere he went.

Definitely think about it. Maybe all u need is some sick IFS upgrades and lockers/gears and you're set.

Just trying to give you both point of views here. I hope I helped u out some in your decision. Just keep in mind. it is far from a cheap mod, but sooooo worth it That's for sure.

Good luck sir and look forward to see what you decide.

Last edited by Redeth005; 03-20-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the help so far. I have looked into the Blazeland kit before. To be honest, I dont really need a straight axle, I just want it. I also forgot to mention that what got this ball rolling in my head was that my front end needs both sets of wheel bearings and something just started popping(not sure what, CV axles feel tight) even in 2 wheel drive. Those things were a good excuse to start entertaining this idea. I am currently on 31s with a 3 inch body lift, if i do this, I want to run 33s and make it a comprimise between flex, and being able to tow because I use it to tow my atv(which is also on 31s).