86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

runs rough, clicking noise, runs fine.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
runs rough, clicking noise, runs fine.

I'm having an issue with a 93 22re that runs rough sometimes, the issue seems to have gotten worse over time, when it first started happening it was only when the truck had been driving all day and just seemed tired so I'd give it a little gas and it would run rough until I drove a block or so and then it would be fine. Now I'm having the issue every time I start it warm but now I have a couple new symptoms.

1. when I start the truck cold it has the rough idle but then I hear a series of clicking sounds and it smooths out on its own. It never had the problem when it was cold before and the clicking that seems to fix it doesn't happen when it's warm.
2. after sitting for about a week it started making a louder ticking noise when I press the throttle, not at idle or decelleration or if I barely press the throttle, just anything past a light touch and it gets loud. sounds like a crack in the exhaust manifold.

I don't know if 1 & 2 are related but I think it could be a bent or sticking exhaust valve that's just getting worse with time.

after the research I've done it could be the vsv, egr, iacv, sticky injector...

no check engine light, haven't checked for stored codes.

I know for a fact that there are no leaking vacuum hoses and the idle adjustment screw has been wrapped in teflon tape to make a better seal, I also just replaced the cap/rotor, plugs and wires.

Last edited by burninggraphite; 10-22-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Before I start trouble shooting an engine, I do a full and complete tune up with factory parts. Clean out the EGR as it is probably gummed up everywhere, most likely carbon has clogged some hoses if it has not been cleaned. Valves adjusted. Go my a manual for all the steps.

How is the Timing Chain? One sign is to see if the right side guide is broke or not at the top. Not always a fool proof way of seeing if the timing chain is stretched but can be a clue. I dont think you have a bent valve myself. The VSV that controls the vacuum to the Fuel Pressure Regulator is about the only one that would cause an real issue. The others I would not be too concerned with. I would want them all operating correctly but dont see them causing you the problems you are having.

IACV might could be an issue. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51856443
Old 10-22-2016, 10:57 PM

now that I think about it I do remember having an issue with the big nut on the egr backing itself off so it was a huge vacuum leak and it ran similar to the way it is now, I also remember having to borrow a wrench big enough to tighten it back on tightening the nut fixed that issue but just to be safe I seafoamed it and replaced all the vac lines. Thanks for making me remember! As soon as the sun comes up I'm going to get at the egr, hook the vsv up the the battery and listen for clicking, and if I can figure out how to use my multimeter I'll check the coil too. I'll follow up with what I find.

Funny story... I had a ford that I bought with my hard earned cash at 14 years old that would run fine for about 10 miles then die and wouldnt restart until the coil cooled down so I went to the junk yard and pulled about 8 of them, they all had the same issue and I never did figure out why they were getting hot and failing, I would just skip the cool down time and swap to one of the ones that lived on my passenger floor board. It was pretty funnny when the car would die with a new passenger that didn't know the routine, I'd just ask them to hand me one of those parts down there, swap it and off we go with them just looking like ???
Old 10-24-2016, 10:17 AM

SO.. all I've had time for was testing the vsv and it is working fine with 12v direct from the battery, it's got 2 more vsv's one red and the other was brown I think which I didnt test but I will be looking into them soon. I did also make sure the big nut on the tube going into the egr from the intake was nice and tight since it had backed off before. I plan on testing the egr by applying vacuum tomorrow morning after it's been running.

timing chain should be fine, the whole top end was done about 50k miles ago and I haven't heard anything from the timing chain or guides and I def. know what that sounds like.
I'm also pretty sure that the 2nd new symptom is actually a bad manifold gasket unless I'm seeing leak marks from a previous bad gasket still but I think it's safe to say that its unrelated to the main issue.

I do have to admit I have a lot of duct tape and zip ties on my intake so I might just break down and replace the bad section to cancel out the possibility of un metered air getting in.

I'm also going to be switching to a lighter oil for winter within a week or two (currently using 10w-40) and I'll check for metal shavings and water in the oil.

I'll save the iacv for last since I've never messed with it and it seems kind of difficult to get to.