86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rough idle, random misfires, and gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Not razzing the Turkey, .....

But there is no VSV to the EGR.......However, the modulator can fail, which can cause some issues. Also, the EGR itself, while it can be deleted, improving performance.... When it's totally plugged? >> not good! lol. It can also fail where the diaphragm inside gives way and no longer resists at all..... Also not good for smooth running.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I already cleaned and tested the EGR when I did the fuel injectors. As far as I could tell it was working fine.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Okay so I tested the EGR vacuum modulator. I guess its only called that in California. Everything tested fine. As far as I can tell the EGR is working fine.

Adjusted the TPS again according to fsm. Now it was weird because I could swear in another section it said to do it a different way. This is what I used

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34throttle.pdf
page 2 or EG1–198

I figured I just got some feeler gauges. The VTA – E2 came out to 0.70. It gave me better acceleration, but didn't really change anything else

I'm going to do a compression test when I have time, and change out a couple gaskets. I'm about ready to tear the thing apart, do the head gasket, timing chain, and all the other gaskets, but I'm really worried that I'll do all that and still have the same problem. Maybe I'll take it in to have it looked at soon.

Last edited by giantjoebot; 02-12-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:47 PM

TAKE IT IN FIRST, before you tear down the thing, k? Definitely in agreement with you on that, Jo!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:21 PM

I noticed when I did the valve clearance that my mechanic put a crappy Fel-Pro gasket on there, and there is a bit of seepage. I don't think its sealing well. Not sure if this might be causing my problem, but I ordered a better one. Going to switch that out along with a couple of other gaskets. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I'm going to take it in to the dealership to have it looked at, to see if they can figure it out.

On a side note, I found a big glob of RTV on top if the #4 intake valve spring, and little bit around the edge of the head where it meets the valve cover. I don't think you're suppose to put RTV there.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 AM

Never had a problem with a Fel-Pro HG(that what you meant?).... I have the Permatorque one in mine, now, and I had one that I put 200K on as well.

Far as the blob of RTV on the spring, he probably was just putting some in the half moons of the head and dripped, lol. Far as the head to valve cover..... IT DOES get RTV, ONLYYYYYY under each half moon and then on the corners on each side of the TOP of the half moons where they meet the head/valve cover mating surfaces. TINY bits go there... But these guys, Jo, .... "SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOBLOB", OFTEN! Ask me how I know? hahaha. Some idiots put RTV on the VCover gasket where it meets the head(or they put it up in the vcover so it will hold in the gasket while they place it on the head)......NOT necessary, and CAN be bad as sometimes it squirts into the top end and, well, it has to go somewhere, right? lol. I doubt that's a problem, Jo.

Man, I feel your pain, I really do... Been there, done that!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:09 PM

Not HG, valve cover gasket. I didn't know about the rtv on the half moons. I'm glad you said something, since I'll be putting a new gasket on tomorrow.

I doubt its my problem too, but I'm going to give the gaskets a shot before I take it in. Anyways spent the day with the GF, I work night and haven't slept. Going to pass out for a couple hours before work. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 PM

I'm having a similar sounding problem too. When it runs it runs perfect, but as it heats up the worse the miss gets until it stalls out and won't start again. I really don't have any suggestions, but hope you get it figured out soon.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 PM

stickmanmitch. Try adjusting your TPS, timing, and idle. Also try burping your coolant.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:05 PM

NOW I know why I was getting confused, Mitch, Jo, ..... YOU TWO have such similar issues at times! hahaha... Sorry bout that, guys.....

Yeah, .... feel really bad for Mitch, he's fighting some STUBBORN gremlins! Wish I could just call em out in my front yard, ya know? hahaha. "Let's go, man, ....BRING IT!" HAHAHA..... Seriously.... I'd have beaten some ARSE at some points of my 'gremlin chase', were it a viable hypothetical, ya know? haha.

Sup Jo? Any updates?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 PM

I'm gong to have to check out his post and stuff

I got good and bad news

Bad news. Running better with new gaskets, but issue remains. Gong to try and get someone to take a look at it soon.

Good News. Put in new mechless stereo. USB, SD, and radio. No CD. Only $30 when I bought it. Beats the hell out of the old tape deck that I had to wedge a match book under to keep it from rattling around.
http://www.amazon.com/612UA-MP3-Comp...p_ob_e_title_0
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Boss-Audio...eiver/15780049

Last edited by giantjoebot; 02-18-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM

Wow, pretty crazy deal! lol.

Sorry bout the ongoing drama... but it WILL get found, don't worry! lol. Just remember what I said, a while back..... "It COULD be mechanical".... Don't get me wrong, .. I DO NOT suspect that or think it's likely.... Just preparing you for the fact that a Guru might find everything and then call, saying, "Oh boy", ...lol. But really, Jo, no matter what he finds, AT LEAST IT WILL BE FOUND! I mean, then you can go forward with IMPROVING this rig, rather than, possibly, throwing that money down a hole. You still might find more in the meantime, and post up what you do find, ok?

Best wishes, Man!
Old 02-08-2015, 06:17 PM

Yes I know that this is and old post. But, this is the first of the millions of threads I've read in multiple forums that seems to have the exact issue I'm dealing with. I've read every post hoping that the problem was found and the thread took a screeching halt. Does anyone happen know if it was fixed?
Old 02-10-2015, 02:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Who knows...

giantjoebot's profile says he was last here on 10-16-2014 01:22 PM

It started of good with all the troubleshooting then it dropped off the face of the earth and doesn't go anywhere. I absolutely hate it when people don't update their stuff even if it's to say I got it rebuilt or I sold it. It helps members find and fix problems and that's what a large part of forums are about.

Last edited by Odin; 02-10-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:35 PM

Yup, It's a little frustrating. I really thought I was close to finding a solution. Oh well

Looks like I'll just have to start my own thread.

Here's my thread

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post52255245

Eventually I'll find the issue

Last edited by Fredx; 02-16-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: NONE
Old 11-04-2019, 02:11 PM

Random rough acceleration

1992 sr5 3.0 4x4. So it runs great often, but lately after start up it bogs down, missing. If I turn it off and restart, it usually will then run fine. Anyone got any ideas? Did recently change out ignition coil and igniter. Plugs, wires cap rotor all good. Any input greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevnap65
1992 sr5 3.0 4x4. So it runs great often, but lately after start up it bogs down, missing. If I turn it off and restart, it usually will then run fine. Anyone got any ideas? Did recently change out ignition coil and igniter. Plugs, wires cap rotor all good. Any input greatly appreciated.
Any stored trouble codes in the ECU?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:38 AM

​​​​hi, no codes. Just acts like its starved for fuel. Tha damper regulator was faulty and changed 2 months ago, fuel filter somewhat clogged, changed yesterday, nada. Trying to get a fuel pressure tester, thinking possibly pump?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Only bogs during acceleration in gear. Can rev her up and it sounds normal.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:46 AM

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevnap65
Only bogs during acceleration in gear. Can rev her up and it sounds normal.
Sounds like could be the pump maybe not keeping up once the fuel requirements start going up?

Edit: Piggy backing on a 4 year old thread may not be the best route to find help. I would start your own thread, and include as much information as you possibly can. Truck, engine, rebuilds, trim package, etc. etc. Also include in detail, what you have tested, what you have replaced, what you've thrown at it, which swear words you've been utilizing. Help us help you!

Last edited by 5 Fists; 11-05-2019 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kevnap65 (11-05-2019)

Quick Reply: rough idle, random misfires, and gremlins