86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rolled my truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rolled my truck

Hello all. I rolled my 4Runner several weeks ago. It was under rediculous circumstances; I was doing donuts in a parking lot just after work. :pat: Now I'm stuck with an 88 4Runner with a good frame, drivetrain and interior but smashed up body- no windshield, etc. If anyone knows of a decent body somewhere, please let me know and I'll gladly come and get it for the right price. I'm kind of picky- it needs to be straight and almost completely rust free, preferably from an 88-89 V6 5spd w/sunroof. I also posted this in the 'wanted' section.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to here about this. I hope all works out for you. And by the way, stay away from doing donuts. LOL
Old 09-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
wow i guess every one is into wrecking there trucks this month .... any pics ?
Old 09-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

Sucks to hear about your ride.

Check this out:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...d.php?t=162209
Old 09-24-2006, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by toddowaddo
Sucks to hear about your ride.

Check this out:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...d.php?t=162209
Thanks for the info. I emailed him regarding the 87. I get the feeling he's looking for a package deal though..

Will
Old 09-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
still waiting on pics
Old 09-24-2006, 09:52 AM

There is a place here in San Antonio. They're called Crash, and they sell brand spankin new body panels for everything. Hood $68, Front Quarter Panels $47, Doors $73, Bed Sides $67, Electric Tailgate $4XX (but at taco's tailgate works perfectly and only costs $79).

I still remember the prices from when I rolled my 4runner and replaced all the body panels. In the end it only cost me a little less than $300 for brand new body panels. They come primered and ready to paint. It was the paint that set me back a damn good bit (just the paint alone. I painted it myself!)
Old 09-26-2006, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
There is a place here in San Antonio. They're called Crash, and they sell brand spankin new body panels for everything. Hood $68, Front Quarter Panels $47, Doors $73, Bed Sides $67, Electric Tailgate $4XX (but at taco's tailgate works perfectly and only costs $79).

I still remember the prices from when I rolled my 4runner and replaced all the body panels. In the end it only cost me a little less than $300 for brand new body panels. They come primered and ready to paint. It was the paint that set me back a damn good bit (just the paint alone. I painted it myself!)
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, this was a medium speed (20mph) nearly double roll (1 1/2 times) in a concrete parking lot (combination of drifting and donuts) and the body is distorted enough to warrant replacement. The front, top, sides and back are all trashed. The only straight part is the tailgate and it still got kinked where the sides pinched it. I've looked into welding on a new cab portion but there are so many things out of alignment that it would never be right. Had it flopped on it's side in the woods it would have been much better/more repairable. I'm just going to wait until I find another body or complete truck as it would be less work to swap the body onto my frame than build a body from the ground up. (I have access to 2 lifts so this could be a 1 day project) I might get some pics up after a while for all of you carnage meisters; I've gotta get my PC back online. (This is my work PC)
Old 09-26-2006, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buy a new truck - it will be easier & cheaper.

Drifting in a truck is just plain dumb - I hope you learned not to do it anymore.

as the infamous Gangus would say - "Let physics do the rest"
Old 09-26-2006, 07:19 AM

Thanks dude, like I needed to hear that. Actually, it drifted rather well on a blacktop parking lot. I guess after doing it several times I assumed it would work on other surfaces as well. I attribute the difference to the extreme traction I encountered on a raked concrete lot. I certainly won't be doing it anymore.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:23 AM
AJ3

Can you say FToy?
Old 09-26-2006, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Elton
wow i guess every one is into wrecking there trucks this month .... any pics ?
sometimes you just have to "let go of the wheel and let physics do its thing"...
Old 09-26-2006, 07:49 AM

I'm going to stay away from extreme stunts in my truck from now on. My main intention of posting this is to find someone who knows someone who has a decent first gen body somewhere. If anyone knows of one, preferably from a non rusty area, please PM me or email willcipher@yahoo.com.. I'm looking to spend $1000 at most for a clean body with no interior or drivetrain.
For those of you that don't know me, my rig was sort of built for spirited on road driving.. I have no lift, 16" V rated street tires, custom swaybars and mounts, ~300 hp, LSD rear etc.. I wanted a sleeper 4Runner

The frame, drivetrain and interior are all fine. It still runs and drives straight. Just all wrinkled on the body and waiting for a new one.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:56 AM

well i have a runner w/ bad bearings, but its complete, i was looking for 1700, so if you want to get it and sell off the parts you dont need youd make some money. there is two crapy repaired rust holes, but you cant see them unless you look under the truck, ( rocker panels). but other wise its a really straight body.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:08 AM

PM me your number if you don't mind. I'm interested in getting my truck on the road before it gets cold. My Camry won't climb my driveway in the snow
Old 03-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Update?

Old 03-04-2007, 02:27 PM

How is everything going with the 4runner? I hope you have found a body. I can't imagine rolling my truck over. That must have been an interesting experience to say the least.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:40 PM

Hello all. I've finally gotten around to replying.. Didn't want to reply until I got some pics online
Update on my rolled truck; it's been alive and driving since the beginning of December. I ended up buying an 89 4 cyl 4Runner in Dallas in the end of September. I went and picked it up 5 days after I spotted it on craigslist I spent quite a few hours in October swapping wiring, interior, etc.. over from the old one to the new one until all that was left was a body swap. Some unexpected fun in the process- I had to adapt the parking brake and speedo cable assemblies from 4 to 6 cyl configuration, trim the trans tunnel opening to accomodate a V6 trans and install my A/C system- the 89 didn't come with A/C

I then took both trucks to a shop with a lift (Victor is the man ) where we lifted the rolled body and rolled the chassis out. Next, we lowered the rolled body down, cut it up and carried it out in 6 pieces (I had it completely stripped prior to arrival).
Next step, we pushed the 89 in and pulled the body from the frame. With the 89 body sitting up on the lift, we rolled the 88 chassis underneath, dropped the body down and proceeded to hook everything up. We trailered it back to my garage the next day; 1 week later Iwas driving it (I had some misc wiring to finish up)

Currently, there are lots of little things I want to do to get the rig back to the way it should be but I've had too much on my plate to find the time Overall, I'm totally happy with the way it turned out- it's the same color but lacks the chrome and the rust

The pics are in order from oldest to newest..

Old 03-20-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
daaang i like your rig a LOT.

good work.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Finally i get to see what a highlander hood scoop looks like on an 80s body style truck! I have an 87 2wd with the same engine and S/C you have in your 4runner and i bought the highlander hood but havent gotten around to having the scoop grafted on yet. It Looks awsome!

Is this about the size of the hole you had to cut?

Last edited by cr500rider; 03-20-2007 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Rolled my truck