86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rod Pins & Journals

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rod Pins & Journals

I, admittedly, have a build thread going over in the build-up section but traffic has been pretty light over there for a while. I have one question that if unanswered, I may lose sleep over.

I'm currently rebuilding my 22re and yesterday I finished stripping the block. I followed everything in the FSM to a tee, aside from the bit where I'm supposed to put little bits of hose on the rod pins before removing the pistons. Truthfully, I didn't know what the purpose was here so I didn't do it. Now I realise it's to prevent contact between the pins and the journals. Just how sensitive can they be? Like just barely brushing past them can damage them irreparably?

The block is going to the machine shop along with the pistons and rods, should I ask the them to look for anything in particular? Should I be concerned that my cavalier piston removal caused real damage? I'm doing all new main, thrust and rod bearings, if that makes any difference. Thanks, in advance, for any help on this.

Here's a link to the build thread for any interested parties -
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...99/index8.html
Old 06-25-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Since the machine shop hasn't done its thing yet don't sweat it at this point.
A good machine shop will inspect and measure the parts you bring them before doingany work.
Did you actually leave a visible mark where the contact was made?
Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Most times any damage can be fixed it might mean the difference between just polishing the crank and cutting the crank.

It would be possible to to cause a deep enough gouge to need a new crank.That would stand out pretty good though

At this point you really don`t know the shape of your crank yet

see what the machine shop has to say