Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rod-Knock? I've no clue what's going on...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rod-Knock? I've no clue what's going on...

1988 4runner. 22RE. 85k miles. Second Owner.

Two months ago, mechanic:

<> Replaced Timing Chain, New Water Pump, New hoses, New clutch, New fuel filters, Code 21 on CEL, replaced 02 sensor, no more code, adjusted valves.

Truck sat two months. Started it up, drove it 500 miles to new home.

SYMPTOMS:

Sounds like a diesel when accelerating, not a click/click, but a diesel. Happens when revving engine up in power band. Can truck down highway fine, but step on the gas, a nice diesel sound comes. Thought that mechanic didn't put new chain guides after reviewing posts here. Just got back from taking off valve cover, there are new guides, oil looks nice and clean and no milky froth, although it was steaming a bit.

There is a small puff of blue smoke on start-up, but goes away. Probably valve? While looking around, exhaust pipe is spitting out chuncks of black water that have no smell and no real feel. I cannot say it's blowing white smoke as it's cold here, so there is some white smoke that dissipates after a few inches. However, if you let it run for sometime (took it up and down highway) and stop at a light, if you rev the engine, you'll see some white puffs.

Bad part: I cannot see any antifreeze in the oil and the antifreeze in the radiator looks new. I was about to give up, looked at the reservoir and it was half full of a antifreeze/brown goop mixture. Definently slick and not grainy.

It doesn't overheat (sticks right in the middle of temp guage after a couple minutes when it gets warm and appears the thermostat opens, temp drops to middle of guage and stays there). No loss of coolant or oil that I can tell.

My suspicion is leaning for the worse, but what the heck is that dieseling sound? Diesel is the best way to say it. I've only had the truck a couple months and put about 800 miles on it. Have no clue what it's supposed to "be".

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by oseas; 02-05-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:00 AM

i hear ya

I have an '86 Pickup 4x4 with the 22r. I hear the exact same noise you do. Just when you're in the throttle. let up, and it quits. My dad has driven the truck and told me to save my money cuz he doesn't know how much longer the beast is gunna be running. We both agreed that it sounds like a rod. and they usually don't knock too long before they go. sorry man. but I think we're in this one together.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:03 AM

Alright -- Just drove around the highway a bit then looked at everything. Did the "spark plug test", by pulling the wire while running to cyls 1-4 separately. The noise still exists even when a cylinder has the wire removed. Using mechanic's microscope (breakerbar), the noise appears tp be coming from the valves - right up front towards the timing chain. All the pulleys are aligned, no wobble, new water pump and belts. Fan/shroud fine. Just stick your ear near the "22re" sticker, pull the throttle cable and I get "the" noise. It truly, truly sounds like a muffled chainsaw on metal. It occurs when given gas, i'd say above 2k RPMs then settles down. However, the new timing chain and new guides are all there, in one piece and still looks new. Overflowed drained a bit into my newly cleaned reservoir and no oil there. No oil, milkshake, or froth under oil cap or on dipstick.

What the bloody-heck is this? Are they supposed to sound this way? I have no clue. Sigh. At least hopefully my team wins tonight. Then I'll be happy.

Last edited by oseas; 02-05-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:04 AM

valve guides

Yeah, the cloud of smoke at initial startup is valve guides. my yota does the exact same thing. i put a bottle of (hyper-lube smoke fix) in my truck, and usually i don't believe in crap like that, it stills smokes, but i'm not adding a quart of oil every time i put in fuel, it definately slowed consumption down some. how much oil are you using?
Old 02-05-2006, 10:06 AM

did your mechanic replace your plastic guides with metal guides? If so I bet that is the sound you are hearing.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:07 AM

Lftd, I have used no oil to date. Ran it from NYC to DC and then around the highways. Oil has stayed at full.

Boaz, that was my wish, too. However, right in front of me were brand new plastic ones. Dark grey. sigh.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:43 AM

oseas.... you said he adjusted your valves too right? Pop the valve cover off and check the tolerences agian. I think the feeler gauge I bought was like 8 bucks a Napa.

Why didnt you spring for the metal guides?
Old 02-05-2006, 10:59 AM

I think I'll try that..the only tools I have is a large metal breaker bar and a cheap mini-socket set though. To be honest, I didn't know the difference in the timing chain guides. I've rebuilt many an MG engine but not a 22re so never made the leap to needing upgraded guides. I bought the truck to send overseas, had the mechanic replace all the "replaceable" parts before I picked it up; hence, he changed the timing chain with the most cost effective parts. He did a lot of work, including new motor mounts and tons-o-crap for cheap, but now it seems as though something went sadly wrong. I might have to find a shop here in NoVA or dump the truck.

Last edited by oseas; 02-05-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:16 PM

Piston slap it is. Shop says drive it 'till it dies since it still runs very well. However, don't have the time. It's for sale - cheap - if'n anyone in DC wants it. See marketplace.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:59 PM

dude piston slap is pretty common on the 22RE from what I can gather. Mine slaps a bit every morning untill it warms up. Keep drivin it. you will be fine!
Old 02-07-2006, 07:41 PM

Piston slap even though you pulled the plugs and listened? Not being able to fire off the cylinder should reduce the load on the piston to the point where it can't make the slapping noise I thought.
Any chance the problem is an overtightened adjuster on the timing chain? I believe if it is too tight, it won't adjust outwards letting the belt slap.
Did the truck have the sound before the replacement of the timing components?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:09 PM

My 86 4Runner has had a piston slap for the last year/21,000 miles and I've driven on many couple thousand mile trips with no problem. I just put 20w-50 and drive the hell out of it. It sounds bad when I first start it but it keeps going......it only makes the noise for about 2-3 seconds on initial start up. I talked to a mechanic and he toldme it's pretty common on these, that his Toy does it too, some food for thought I guess before you sell it Toyota's can run a long time even with problems. Just my 2 cents
Old 02-07-2006, 10:14 PM

To add to my last post, some mechanics have told me it's a rod knock but I can't see it still running a year later, while not losing any power if it was a rod knock, so I've resided to it being a piston slap, which like boaz said isn't really that bad
Old 02-08-2006, 06:42 AM

The one thing to remember with a piston slap engine is if you overhaul it, it will have to be bored and not just honed. The piston slapping around in the cylinder will ovalize the bore so the next one won't sit right in it and you'll be right back at square one.
I still think you should consider that the timing chain install might not be right. Piston slap will last a long time. If there is something wrong with the adjuster instead, it could lead to problems down the road.
Just an opinion and I'm man enough to admit I've been wrong before

Last edited by Fahrenheit 451; 02-08-2006 at 06:43 AM.