Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Ring & Pinion Gear Options for 37" Toyo M/T tires with 5" lift..

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
If you're shifting into 4th now you'll be going into 3rd with 4.88's and it'll still suck. You said you're on a budget so why would you want to buy and set up two ring and pinion sets when you could buy only one? Just saying. You asked a question asking for peoples' opinion. Basically everybody here said to keep the 5.29's but you don't want to hear it. Do as you wish.
Originally Posted by snobdds
I really don't think you have a clue what your doing, but I say go for it.
Yep, the only thing we can do now is sit back and watch
Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yamiryder
Most people do have experience with trucks very similar to your truck. I'm sure other members have run 37's with a 3.0 and can tell you what will work good. If you don't believe them, then go ahead and run 4.88's. Oh, and you just argued with a moderator.
First off quit reading between the lines no argument is started. Why do people assume because way words are touted that it's showing lol just saying I've done math. Many of others have had 4.88 with no problems and everyone here has been negative about it. I'm trying to get better gas not torque and I already had 5.29 I'm wanting to try something different cuz I got lots of power just want more fuel mileage. If you read this as arguing then you should probably set the keyboard or phone down and step outside and realize it's just a statement. Arguing is allot different but if you can't take someone else's opinion without it being considered arguing then I'm sorry you read between the lines and I'd rather avoid directing questions at you when I'm stating my opinion sheesh. That being said snobbd as much as you think you know vehicles not saying you don't or do I'm just saying I've noticed everything I've posted about one in particular being my cold air in take you doubt my knowledge when it worked just like you said it wouldn't. This would be a start of an argument but who's here for that I'm here to say one I'm not ordering two gear sets just one to give it a try before the front even gets touched. Its just this im in 5th gear all the time even at 30-40 so this in my case will help me. I was asking for ideas and stating my thoughts. If you take that asarguing please kindly remove yourself from posting on this because im not starting drama but when u read it like im trying to argue then thats all it takes for stupid texting fights lol. We are here to share opinions and thoughts don't be so sensitive lol
Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
You're still buying 2 gear sets. If you like the 4.88, then you need to buy a 4.88 front. If you don't like the 4.88, you'll have to buy a 5.29 for the rear to replace it. You're not saving any money.

I'm glad "you've done math." You might try to practice a bit of spelling. But here's some points to consider about the gear ratios. If you go to a 4.88 ratio, you'll be doing less RPM for the same speed. If this was the only factor then you'd be good to go. But remember that you will have less torque to the wheels so you'll have to give the truck more throttle to keep the same speed. Now the amount more is not easy to numerically calculate. Maybe you can since "you've done math" but I'm guessing that it will not be in your favor to go to 4.88's.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
You're still buying 2 gear sets. If you like the 4.88, then you need to buy a 4.88 front. If you don't like the 4.88, you'll have to buy a 5.29 for the rear to replace it. You're not saving any money.

I'm glad "you've done math." You might try to practice a bit of spelling. But here's some points to consider about the gear ratios. If you go to a 4.88 ratio, you'll be doing less RPM for the same speed. If this was the only factor then you'd be good to go. But remember that you will have less torque to the wheels so you'll have to give the truck more throttle to keep the same speed. Now the amount more is not easy to numerically calculate. Maybe you can since "you've done math" but I'm guessing that it will not be in your favor to go to 4.88's.
What makes you think I'm gonna have to buy two gear sets ive had the others geared when I decide what gear ratio I decide who says Jack about saving money I'm talking about Getty better mileage out it that's all. and if you read my last post I Todd you excuse the typos because I get frustrated with phones spell check I'm doing the rear only I never use front wheel Drive so again I'm only buying one gear set. you make fun of my "math"as you put it when you have no idea all the other things I have done to the rig. It's not an off road vehicle so those low gears won't help me the way they are meant to. wish people would read I'm doing this for mpg not rock climbing
Old 10-08-2013, 10:18 AM

Okay, okay, you didn't argue. Just trying to help, if you make your posts shorter and to the point, you will get more help. I'm still confused whether you have stock gears or 5.29's currently. Also, you are probably going to get flamed for only changing the rear gear set on a 4wd pickup, making it purely an asphalt pounder. Especially on Yotatech which is mainly an off road forum.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:49 AM

I don't think anyone else said it yet but if you just broke a pinion with 5:29 gears won't 4:88s put even more stress on the pinion making it very likely to break again?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stetson_md
I don't think anyone else said it yet but if you just broke a pinion with 5:29 gears won't 4:88s put even more stress on the pinion making it very likely to break again?
4.88's should have a physically bigger pinion i believe, so technically stronger.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Yamiryder
4.88's should have a physically bigger pinion i believe, so technically stronger.
Ah ok thanks for clearing that up for me
Old 10-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Scrussanation
I just found out my gear ratio is 5.29
Yamiryder, this is quoted from post #1.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 3RZ in my '84 pickup. Rebuilt with LCE performance Master kit. Head milled for slightly higher compression. Plus cams, etc. The power is comparable to a 3VZ. I've run with a couple and we stay dead even until I have to shift my worn out W56, so I lose time there. Anyway, I'm running 4.88s with 33's. Steel wheels and KM2s. They're not feather light wheels/tires... But my 3RZ moves everything along just fine. And my speedo is dead on according to my GPS. I can hold most any hill in 5th gear, if I wanted to. But I don't because the W56 5th gear is weak, and 4th gear is very strong.so I'll run in 4th as often as I can.

My job requires that I travel, and my truck is what I take. 70K miles since April 2012. Since I am on the highway so much, I will be staying with 4.88s with the 35" Toyos, but I should be doing 5.29 to keep it at a factory-ish feel. With you running the 37s, they are pretty heavy, at 80+lbs each, and your math isn't taking increasing tire weight into consideration. My suggestion is to do it once, do the 5.29s. If not, you are taxing everything pretty heavy by keeping it higher geared. But it's your truck...

Last edited by rokblok; 10-08-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
Yamiryder, this is quoted from post #1.
that's what i thought, but everyone keeps telling him to get 5.29's. I just didn't look haha
Old 10-08-2013, 01:47 PM

how should I go about on using my 4x4 high/low in a pinch without screwing anything up...
You will need matching gears.

I cannot afford labor just parts
Parts for two gear sets are going to be more expensive than parts and labor for a single gear set.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:18 PM

arlindsay1992, you quoted him saying "how should I go about on using my 4x4 high/low in a pinch without screwing anything up...". I've looked back through this whole thread about 3 times trying to find that post, but have come up with nothing. He also said this:
I'm doing the rear only I never use front wheel Drive so again I'm only buying one gear set.
I'm very confused right now

Last edited by 93Xtra-Cab; 10-08-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:21 PM

He said it in the first post. Also, if you click the blue arrow inside the quote box next to the user's name it takes you to the post that was quoted.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:27 PM

Now I see it! I clicked on that darn blue arrow and read that first post about 10 times and didn't see it. It's been a long day...
Old 10-08-2013, 03:33 PM

You should ask this question over on Pirate 4X4. maybe then you'll get a response you like
Old 10-08-2013, 03:47 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Spazzcdnm
You should ask this question over on Pirate 4X4. maybe then you'll get a response you like
they'll probably tell him that running 4.88's with 37" tires is not very smart, and they won't be very nice about it, lol

to top it off, those toyos are some of the heaviest 37" streetable tires you can get.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 PM

The old 39.5x13.50x15 irok super swampers wee terribly heavy and yes parts and labor is high but I have all tools necessary to do everything myself. The front was never done for the 5.29 gears it had in the back. I'm trying these cuz right now is not as much of a toy that I want it to be. If it was I would do 5.29 maybe even 5.71 but it's for work and travel right now so if it helps mpg I'll do the 200 buck risk lol. I Just wanted to make sure I would still need to do the front when it's only activated when in a pinch. Also the ring with my 5.29 gears seem salvageable but it's the drive pinion that's definitely no bueno. Ive gotta share pic but mobile version of this isn't helping with it lol

Last edited by Scrussanation; 10-08-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Spazzcdnm
and he thinks we were bad. They would have torn him a new one on Pirate.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 AM

And to add yes I know it defeats using 4x4 but yotatech isn't just a off road forum like pirate is. It's what I consider all around. I've seen tons of dd vehicles on here so just cuz I'm not getting the gears that's ideal for what I wanna use the truck for(which is off roading only) I don't have the luxury quite yet. Plan is to use 4.88 till the new work truck comes. Then go back with 5.29 or lower. Speaking of what's 5.71 feel like if your using it off road only? It's it a pretty good gear set for the tires and purpose? What's some good gear manufactures?

Quick Reply: Ring & Pinion Gear Options for 37" Toyo M/T tires with 5" lift..