Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Reseting CEL and Radio anti-theft on '92 T4R, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reseting CEL and Radio anti-theft on '92 T4R, need help.

Hi everyone! I'm a new T4R owner and I've found this forum very helpful in determining what to look (out) for when shopping for a used 4Runner. I recently bought a '92 4runner, and have a couple questions I'm hoping y'all will know the answers to.

The sound system is factory - a cassette, tuner, and CD player combo. My problem is the original owner doesn't remember the anti-theft code, and I understand that if power is ever removed (like disconnecting the battery), I'll need to enter the code to be able to use the sound system again.

The reason I want to disconnect the battery is (as I understand it), that is how you reset the Check Engine light. I have a code indicating a bad O2 sensor, and once I swap it out, I'll want to reset the CEL, but I'm afraid I'll be killing the sound system if I do that.

So, two questions:

1) Is there a specific fuse to the ECM that will allow me to reset the CEL without disconnecting the battery?

2) Is there a way to find out the radio's anti-theft code or reset it to some known default?

I hope these are basic questions that can be answered easily!

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-31-2005, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You got a pm
Old 03-11-2007, 03:18 PM

I'm having the same problem. Theves stole mine and I bought a replacement from a salvage yard. They couldn't test it for me there, and its been over 1 month since I bought it, so they won't warrenty it. My model is a 56804. It's going in a 93 Toyota 4 runner tho. Took me over a month to repair the window and dash where they ripped it out. Did you have any luck figuring the right sequence? I don't have the factory owners maunual either. Will probably go to the dealer and see what they say, (probably for a service fee tho.) Any info is appreciated. E-mail me @ fastnos@yahoo.com
Going to sell it when I get the radio sorted out. High mileage tho. Have pictures if anyone might be interested...

Last edited by fastnos; 03-11-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to first confirm there is a code. If there is a security code in the radio, it will display "SEC" on the readout when you cycle the key on. To unlock it, it must be in "HELP" mode, so go ahead and use up all 10 trys. It will count each error, ie ERR1, ERR2 and so one. Then there is a 6 digit master unlock code which I cant give the info out here, but if your radio is in, wired up in your rig, and you accept blocked calls, I could walk you through it.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:01 AM

anti theft radio

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
You need to first confirm there is a code. If there is a security code in the radio, it will display "SEC" on the readout when you cycle the key on. To unlock it, it must be in "HELP" mode, so go ahead and use up all 10 trys. It will count each error, ie ERR1, ERR2 and so one. Then there is a 6 digit master unlock code which I cant give the info out here, but if your radio is in, wired up in your rig, and you accept blocked calls, I could walk you through it.
Wow, that would be great! Could you give me a contact number to get ahold of you? The 4-runner is in the garage out on my property in the country. I go out there usually on weekends. No house on it yet, but has a huge garage! I can give you a call then, or you could call me with a good time to get ahold of you during the week.
Here's my number 1-812-630-8409. I work nights, so you'll probably get my voice mail when you call during the day. I appreciate the help. Thanks! JOE