86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing rear differential bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by irv
Yeah I was amazed that the pinion nut could just come loose like that. Especially when it was staked. It seemed unlikely to me but clearly I didn't know what I was talking about. I took my take and made sure I really staked it well after I re-torqued it.
Over 30 years and 8 or 10 times around the world, what was once tight slowly loosens up, by dribs and drabs.

The nut likely remained properly staked, while the components in between each lost just a little thickness.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:42 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
OK cool, thanks guys for the #'s. Having a similar deal on the 4Runner, recycled the thirds from the 81 and after a month the rear pinion nut appears to be a little loose so hoping this will cure it. Fortunately the thirds were build using solid sleeves so should be ok just tightening
ordered a tripled drill flange, new seal and pinion nut that got delivered on friday
Old 06-26-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
OK cool, thanks guys for the #'s. Having a similar deal on the 4Runner, recycled the thirds from the 81 and after a month the rear pinion nut appears to be a little loose so hoping this will cure it. Fortunately the thirds were build using solid sleeves so should be ok just tightening
ordered a tripled drill flange, new seal and pinion nut that got delivered on friday
A good degreasing of the flange and pinion splines along with an application of loc-tite to those splines can't hurt.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:16 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
A good degreasing of the flange and pinion splines along with an application of loc-tite to those splines can't hurt.
good point thanks!