86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

removing vacume lines off -road only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing vacume lines off -road only?

Hey guys if i was to use my 4 runner for off-raod only can i remove all the vacume lines that go to emmisions and ect... and have the truck still run fine? I just feel that there is too much going on under the hood and if i can clean it up some all the better. I know that on my 92 turbo talon i removed all my vacume lines that went to emmisions and the car ran great no codes or nothing. Thanks Pat.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't. They're there for a reason. Removing vacuum lines could cause other problems, other than just "throwing a code". You're not going to necessarily see any performance gains from taking them off. I would just leave them.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Drama Queen/Banned

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
I wouldn't. They're there for a reason. Removing vacuum lines could cause other problems, other than just "throwing a code". You're not going to necessarily see any performance gains from taking them off. I would just leave them.

X2 This is not your fathers emissions parts of the 70's
Old 02-26-2007, 12:57 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
When you unplug them, make sure you stop up the ends of the hoses. No problems, codes, etc. with my EGR valve done like that. Runs real good, not a big boost from doin' it, maybe 2-3 mpg gain. Worth it none-the-less, in my case.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
In my experience, you'll be sorry if you unhook any of the vacuum hoses. There's a reason it's there!
Old 02-26-2007, 02:34 PM

Im sorry i forgot to mention i have a 3.0. I don't care about performance gains, just want to clean up engine compartment, also avoid future problems if a line cracks or breaks. Yes i would plug up all the ports.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

I'm serious; you'll eff it up!
Old 02-26-2007, 03:37 PM

I wont do it if you guys tell me for sure that it will eff it up after someone has tried already. I will wait a few days and see what people say if enough of you guys say not to i wont do it. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:40 PM

Alright, I was an engineer in the Coast Guard and went to school for internal combustion engines. I worked on everything from diesels, gas engines and turbines. I'm out and in automotive school now to get my ASE certifications.

With that said, if you know what you're doing and disconnect only the emission control devices and plug the ends going to the intake, you will be fine. All of the emissions devices are there to reduce CO, NOx and hydrocarbons (HxC).

Again, I stress blocking off all vacuum leaks. Lots of things on your truck depend on vacuum.......like brakes, which are a good thing.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:46 PM

I know how important it is to find the right lines. I had a Eagle talon with a turbo that ran 12.60 in the quarter mile. I had 2 fuel computers in it. Vacume lines were everywhere i deleted only the ones for the emmisions. I was wondering if anyone has tried this yet and had any problems, if there are problems then i wont do it.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to rain on anyones parade but the emission controls of today (or even the last 20 years) are intricately tied to the engine. Disconnecting the emission hardware on these vehicles is possible but not advisable, you really have to know what you're doing, some parts of these systems can't just be un-plugged or it will cause serious malfunctions down the road.

Just my .02
Old 02-26-2007, 03:48 PM

Not on a 4Runner, but I have on other cars. My 4Runner won't have any emissions control devices when finished........hopefully the end of next month.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

You have to have an intricate knowledge of what will affect the ECM and terminate those sensors with appropriate resistors, etc. for the ECM to function properly.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:56 PM

Hey i dont know enough about these motors yet to try it, i will wait for someone else to do it and do a write up on it. Toyota's and eagles are two different beasts. My luck i will take a line off and the thing wont start. So Dan when you are done make sure you do a write up on it pros and cons.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:09 PM

Alright, I have already said it. I'll explain further since no one seems to know enough about engine management or maybe it's just the 3VZ-E. The only emission controls that are used on our 4Runners are EGR valves, PCV valves and catalytic convertors. EGR valves only control NOx emissions and can be eliminated without causing adverse effects. Also, it is not controlled or tied into the ECM in anyway. The PCV valve and catalytic convertor are not vacuum controlled systems so they do not need to be discussed here.

The only adverse effect that removing the EGR valve can cause is cold start-up, which this system is also designed to aid. If you don't live in a cold climate or park in a garage, you will never have an issue.

I could get out my ASE books and quote all of this information straight from the text if needed, but I figure my experience and personal knowledge will be sufficient.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:17 PM

DAN_90SR5, god bless ya my brother. I bet you've enjoyed the recent buffoonery of those ignorant enough to disagree with your, obviously, well-learned opinion. I wouldn't be that sorta incompetent, rest assured. Well, carry-on, and Godspeed.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-26-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:56 PM

Mudhippy why do you think my post is, how do you say "buffoonery" I'm not doubting Dan_90sr5 or his knowledge. I have removed the vacume lines in other cars to clean up the engine compartment and had no problems. I think if you don't have something nice to say dont say it. And who are you to say that I am an "incompetent". I am just looking for some feedback and not looking to get bashed. If your gonna bash do it somewhere else!!!!! Or contribute other ways like saying I don't think you should do this or not do this, for this reason or that reason. And I don't think it is a stupid idea to remove the lines, but if you do say it don't bash. Lets all get along. Thanks Pat.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:20 PM

NO,NO, not you dude, I can see where you both are coming from. I think you maybe misunderstood. I am a strong advocate for disabling any, and all, EMMISSIONS systems on anyones' vehicle, should they decide to do so. I have disabled systems on my vehicle, to measurable advantage.

The point of my statement was directed toward the unfortunate individuals who simply refuse to agree with the TRUE SCIENTIFIC diagnosis of the effects of these systems on gasoline engines.

It's getting tiresome to have to teach EGR valve 101, for some of us that is. Those who want to misinform should choose another website to do so.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-27-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:33 PM

I'm so so sorry for that then, i was mistaken, again i am so so sorry. By the way i wouldn't remove the EGR. I thought you were talking to me that is why i wrote that. My bad. Ignor everything i said before, sorry to disrespect you.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:42 PM

It's ALL GOOD!!

Quick Reply: removing vacume lines off -road only?