Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Regearing for 33's

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regearing for 33's

Hey im new to the site and just got my first car, a 91' 4runner. Im new to 4-wheeling and dont know a whole lot about cars yet. I plan on buying a 2-2.5" body lift very soon so i can get 33x12.5" tires under there. I keep hearing people say you need to regear your truck with bigger tires, and i wasnt exactly sure what you need to "Regear." I was also wondering how much this would cost and if it can be done myself, i'd like to do my own work on the truck as much as possible, thanks.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everybody is gonna tell you to search, but I'll go ahead and tell you. If it's a Manual tranny, get 4.56 gears, if its an auto 4.88s are proabably better. Some people go higher or lower depending on their driving style and what kind of driving they do most. You will have to regear both the fron't and rear differentials, otherwise known as 3rd members. A set of gears should be less than 200 for a set. You'll proabably want a master install kit as well which is proabably another 100 or so if I had to guess. I don't recommend trying to do it yourself. Take both thirds out of the axles and take them to have the gears put in. It shouldn't be too expensive that way, maybe an 2-3 hour job is my estimate, but I'm not totally sure. I'd also be leary about just doing a body lift, as that won't help your situation. The 12.50 wide tires might still rub without suspension lift. I suggest you could look into Ball Joint Spacers and whatever it is that they do for coil spring lifts...I have leaves so I don't know. I can tell you don't know too much about cars, so I'll give you my best advice. I'm almost 19, I've been working on my truck since I was 16. If you try to rush things and don't study every possible thing that a mod might affect you'll end up wasting alot of money and not getting the best out of your truck. Take you're time, being young and trying to build a 4x4 is not easy. It takes thousands of dollars to do it right, and the job seems like it never ends. So concludes my words of wisdom. Welcome to the board, and start searching, reading, and asking questions if you need to. thats what we're here for.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At www.4wheelparts.com you can get 8" & 7.5" ring and pinion sets for $129.00 each, cmplete install kits for $32.99 each/complete install kits with all bearings for $98.99 for 7.5" and $164.99 for the 8"... As for a body lift, is your Runner an auto or manual? I ask this because on an auto truck (for a 2-2.5" body lift) you'll need a special bracket for your shifter and an extension for the steering shaft (Roger Brown has these) That's all I have for you....Good Luck on your endevors....
Old 04-06-2006, 06:29 AM

I am thinking of doing the same thing to my 91 4runner except i will be using 33x10.5's will those rub? Is it nessasary to re-gear the truck after putting 33's on? mine is a standard.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:25 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The width causes MUCH more problems than the diameter. I fit 33x10.50 on my '93 4Runner with no lift and no rubbing. Another member on here rolls 35x10.50 with minimal rubbing (mostly rear tire) on his truck.

I had 4.56, much happier with 4.88.

IMHO, you need to know that the 4WheelParts gears (by Genuine Gear) are of a lower quality than Yukon, Precision, etc. 4WP does offer a lifetime warranty, though. That is a decision you will have to make for yourself. I decided to go with the Genuine Gears (4WP package deal for gears, install kits, ARB, compressor, was over $300 cheaper than the next guy - too much to overlook) Be sure to check www.performanceoffroad.com for gears.

I have heard good things about the 4WP/Genuine Gear Master Install Kits. (However, mine didn't come with enough shim and the wrong size carrier bearing)

If you take the thirds in, expect to pay about $200/axle to have the gears installed and setup. This would be a great time to do lockers too, as the labor would pretty much be included with the gear install.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:52 AM

Smile

Hello, and welcome to the club!
-I just wanted to tell you that I ran a '90 with a 3" body lift, 33/12.50 tires, and stock gears for 10 years. I never had a problem, and went wheeling regularly. Yes, it did feel more gutless than if I had regeared it, but I was young and had nothing to compare it to since I had never drove a Toyota truck before. I am not all-out recommending that you run this setup. I am just saying if money is at all an issue, throw on your lift and tires and see how you like it. Regearing is not a necessity, it is just a really nice option.
-That being said, with my 3" and 33/12.50s at the time, I had to bend a few things inside the wheelwell so my tires would not rub. No biggy, it will not be noticable. But they still would rub when I turned the steering wheel all the way either direction. So I never turned it all the way.
-I left my shifters alone, they were just 3" lower than normal. I liked it that way.
-If you do have some extra money, consider a suspension lift instead of body. You will get everything higher off the ground, and be able to clear more obstacles.
-As far as gears, 4.88s would put you back to a stock feel.
-I do agree not trying setting the gears yourself. It is complicated. Have them done at a shop where they can guaruntee the job will be done right.
-And if you do regear and can afford some extra, you might as well throw in lockers as well. You will want them later, trust me.
-I hope all goes well, and keep us posted of your progress.
PS. Where abouts are you in B-town? I am out there a lot.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:37 AM

You never NEED to regear, it just is money well spent. I have had 4.88's from 32's to 35's. And for one breif periord three years ago I had to throw stock gears back in for 2 months, and WOW gears make a huge difference.

I reccommend 4.88's for 33's
Old 04-06-2006, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately, money is a huge problem for me right now until i can find a job. I have enough for the body lift and my dad will be replacing my tires soon and doesnt mind getting a bigger size. I eventually want to turn this truck into an off-road only car once i have enough money to buy another car, so i'd like to get all the basic off-road equipment on now. If i were to wait a few months on the gearing, would just a 2.5" body lift give me enough clearance for the 33"s with minimal cutting? BTW it is a 5-Speed. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Bobakazi
PS. Where abouts are you in B-town? I am out there a lot.
I live right on the 185th Ave exit on 26. Im assuming you go out to Banks and down the Tillamook exit for wheeling, so im about 3 exits closer to Portland from North plains.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:40 PM

Dont know of a 2.5" BL that is made. I strongly suggest not running a BL larger than 1". Spend about the same money get BJ and coils spring spacers. If you plan to make this a trail only rig down the road you will end up removing the BL, so why put it in in the first place.

Run BJ/spring spacers and get a 33x10.50..., or a 32x10.50 TSL Radial (excellent tire). Its a good place to start, and slowly build up. Also a 10.50 wide tire will weigh less, making gears less of a requirment.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:16 PM

Well the main reason i wanted the 33X12.5" is because the most common terrain ill be wheeling in will be mud and sand. What is wrong with a 2" body lift? I didnt really think it would affect the handling very much. Also, how hard would it be to install the BJ and coil spring spacers and what are the benefits?
Old 04-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Mud huh, have fun trying to turn 33's, even if you regear. I stay as far away from them as possible, pain to clean and dont even come close to enough power to go anywhere in it.

I had a 3" BL on one of my previous rigs and it made the handeling horrible.

Spacers would provide suspension lift, gaining you clearance at the front diff, and frame. You would also get more travel from the IFS, in the amount of the spacer. The rear spacers are really easy to install, undo the shocks, lift the rear until there is enough room between the frame and the spring for the spacer, insert spacer, drop truck, reattach shocks.

For BJ spacer info go to.. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ntSpacer.shtml .he also has 2" coil spacers to match the front, and help a little with leveling.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:47 PM

Alright thanks a lot for your help. Im going to go with a 1.5" BJ Spacer and 2" Coil spacers. It may take a while until i can start this, but ill definetely post pictures of the process.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by KTMR1der03
I live right on the 185th Ave exit on 26. Im assuming you go out to Banks and down the Tillamook exit for wheeling, so im about 3 exits closer to Portland from North plains.
Yeah, I go to Brown's camp whenever I can. It is awesome, especially with most of the trails opening back up now that the rain has eased up. I personally like mud, except the washing part. Thankfully I have access to a power washer from my work. I just did it yesterday as a matter of fact. My 33/12'50s and stock gears did great in the mud. Again, I did not have much to compare it to.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KTMR1der03
howdy neighbor! my dad lives off 185th and West Union i would do BJ spacers and either coil spacers or LC coils. i have this set up and it works. i plan on running 33s soon. i will be coming home this summer, so if you need help or want to go wheelin let me know.

Last edited by ToferUOP; 04-07-2006 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Bobakazi
Yeah, I go to Brown's camp whenever I can. It is awesome, especially with most of the trails opening back up now that the rain has eased up. I personally like mud, except the washing part. Thankfully I have access to a power washer from my work. I just did it yesterday as a matter of fact. My 33/12'50s and stock gears did great in the mud. Again, I did not have much to compare it to.

WHats your other rig, looking at your sig you are far from 33's and stock gears?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by ToferUOP
howdy neighbor! my dad lives off 185th and West Union i would do BJ spacers and either coil spacers or LC coils. i have this set up and it works. i plan on running 33s soon. i will be coming home this summer, so if you need help or want to go wheelin let me know.
Sounds good, its always nice to have somone with you out in the woods to pull you out =) I live on Walker and 185th, so im just a couple minutes from there.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:23 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 4x4nala
WHats your other rig, looking at your sig you are far from 33's and stock gears?
Another truck I had, same year and model, that was totalled last year.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:40 AM

AAAHHHH, makes senese :-)