86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rebuilding a 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding a 3.0

The 3.0 is blown, so I'm either getting the 3.0 rebuilt or getting a re-manufactured/rebuilt motor put in. Unfortunately, I don't have the time, means, or know how (mechanic skill) to do a 3.4 swap. So, I'm sticking with the 3.0.

I've been looking around for shops/sites/companies that sell rebuilt/re-manufactured engines.

So far I've come across Oregon Engine Rebuilders, and ATK Engines. Oregon's price is $1500 and I'm not sure about ATK. I've gotten some quotes on just rebuilding mine and it's about $3000, and I don't really want to pay that...

So my questions is do you know of any other places to sell these engines? I also need a tranny, so any suggestions on that road are appreciated as well. And has anyone had any experience with ATK or Oregon?

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I appreciate any answers!

Last edited by Yotas&Jellos; 11-18-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:35 AM

I looked into Oregon before, they seem to do quite a bit of business. IIRC, they also have a pretty good warranty.

It's hard to tell from your post whether you are replacing the engine yourself. The 3.4 swap does sound daunting, but the wiring and exhaust seem to be the only major mechanical factors. Of course, the gathering of parts might take time.

You might also want to look into JDM engines. They sometimes come with a tranny as well. However, I've heard stories that they never change the oil in those engines.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:51 AM

im just finishing up my rebuild i did it on my own there is no way i would pay someone 1500$ to do what took me 500$ and i got extra little things also check signature! it really wasn't that hard and other then the little things the went wrong and the snow! it wouldn't have taken me half as long just a suggestion!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:05 AM

I work for a Auto collison repair shop, even at my cost I could not beat what I found on e-bay. From motorcrateengines out of Oregon. I opted for the 3vze hipro for $1995 vs the std for $1595. My mechanic is still installing, replacing a 91 with 280k miles alot of things are breaking as we take them apart.
But based on all my research, this was the way to go. Although I am getting close to price if I would have just swapped in a Vortec V-6 or SB Chevy.
Good Luck.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:44 AM

Thanks guys!

Cyberman, I'm not doing the swap myself. A mechanic (and friend) is either putting in a new one, or getting my old one rebuilt, but for $3,000 I would rather not... I'd rather just get a new one already rebuilt and have him install it.

My goal is to eventually put a 3.4 in, but that's a while down the road. If I knew how, had the time and money I'd probably do it. I'm still learning all of this stuff. :/

Maybe I can get some money for the 3.0 down the road a bit, since it'll probably still be relatively new when I do a 3.4?

Who knows.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Yotas&Jellos
Thanks guys!

Cyberman, I'm not doing the swap myself. A mechanic (and friend) is either putting in a new one, or getting my old one rebuilt, but for $3,000 I would rather not... I'd rather just get a new one already rebuilt and have him install it.

My goal is to eventually put a 3.4 in, but that's a while down the road. If I knew how, had the time and money I'd probably do it. I'm still learning all of this stuff. :/

Maybe I can get some money for the 3.0 down the road a bit, since it'll probably still be relatively new when I do a 3.4?

Who knows.
Is the truck a daily driver?
DO you need to get the work done and the truck back on the road ASAP?

I rebuilt my 3.0 and I totally regret it.

The INITIAL rebuild costs were much less than doing the 3.4 swap.

However, after the other stuff that I had to deal with, replacing Wiring harness, replacing the computer, new exhaust system, refurbishing (and then replacing) a few injectors, new cat etc etc.

I added up my receipts a few months ago and I figured that I could have done 3.4 the swap using a low mileage 3.4 and THE Off Road Solutions PREMIUM KIT for what I have into my 3.slow.

Honestly, the work is not that difficult. Get the factory service manuals (available online, here through a search) and read up on it.

It would be a GREAT way for you to learn how the 3.0 and 3.4 motor works, goes together, etc. And owuld be a fun project. That and the ORS kit makes the swap pretty simple.

Last edited by Tigerstripe40; 11-19-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:27 PM

Yotas&Jellos,
I was in the same boat you were about 4 months ago. I was gonna get a reman'd 3.0 and have it installed. The final price was about 3700. After reading and asking people, I have decided to do the 3.4 swap. I figure that the longest it would take is a week.. if I have everything.... Just don't want to see another person waste their money, just because of cold feet. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted on what you decide.

3.0 now and then a 3.4 down the road.. that is alot of cash..

Laterz
Jeremy
Old 11-19-2008, 04:21 PM

Tigerstripe, yeah it is a daily driver and I need it ASAP. :/

I was talking to a coworker of my mothers today, and he recommended me to a shop that his buddy used to work at, called United Engine, and said they do some good work. I called them and they said a 3.0 is $1200, and my mechanic buddy will put it in for $500. A total of $1700.

RaginYota, I feel the same way, honestly dude. It's just that I need to get it done asap, and I feel that it's a decent price. I mean, the most technical thing I've done to a car is *help* replace an alternator. I'm barely learning how everything works. I figure, but maybe I'm wrong, that I can get some or most of the money back when I decide to do a 3.4 and sell the 3.0. I'm sure it won't have too many miles on it.

I mean, the main problem is, is that I don't have a vehicle, and my work (sales) requires me to drive on a daily basis.

By the way, does the 3.4 bolt up to the tranny the 3.0 uses? Or will I need a new one? And what is the ORS kit you talked about Tigerstripe? For all the electrical stuff?

Thanks for the posts guys!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:46 PM

3.4 swap for the same money as a 3.0 rebuild!Plus you get better mileage,better running,better sound,50 more HP,70 more ft/lbs of torque!GO FOR IT!
Bigblock
Old 11-19-2008, 04:50 PM

I guess it all depends on the situation. I have a running truck with a 3.0, after a blown motor:

1. Stripped and restored the frame
2. Replaced lower control arms
3. New tie rod ends, ball joints
4. New CV boots.
5. New front wheel bearings
6. 4" lift
7. Manual hub swap
8. New rear brakes (shoes, cylinders, drums, hardware)
9. New Front brakes (rotors, pads, driver side caliper)
10. New (used) LSPV
11. New (used) 3.0 engine with machined crank, bearings, pistons, rings, water pump, gaskets, timing set
12. New ignition wires, belts, fuel filter and plugs.
13. New battery
14. New fuel pump bracket
15. New clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, pilot and release bearing
16. 15"x10" American Racing wheels
17. 4 33x12.5x15 Mud Kings

Total cost, around $4000. Around $1000 of it is under the hood, the rest is suspension and elsewhere (i.e. tools, etc.). Check my rebuild thread in my sig if you want to see the details, but honestly, it all worked out for me. Other than a few leaks that are now fixed, it's been running fine for the past 2000+ miles and I've been having a blast. I got pretty lucky on the replacement engine ($150), but most of the stuff listed above was new.

I thought about the 3.4 swap for a while, actually had one tracked down. Just didn't pan out. Planning is key. I have a spreadsheet where I put down all my options (reman vs jdm vs swap vs rebuild), along with associated costs for each.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 PM

Yeah dude, it does, otherwise I'd do it.

Eventually it'll happen. I love the pickup dude. Just the look of it is great. I have a lot of plans for mine. Eventually everything will fall into place.

Where did you get your replacement engine from, Cyberman?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:10 PM

By the way, does the 3.4 bolt up to the tranny the 3.0 uses? Or will I need a new one?
Yes your tranny will bolt rt up to the 3.4.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:58 AM

Yeah dude, it does, otherwise I'd do it.

Eventually it'll happen. I love the pickup dude. Just the look of it is great. I have a lot of plans for mine. Eventually everything will fall into place.

Where did you get your replacement engine from, Cyberman?
I got real lucky and found one on Craigslist. it was a dealer pull that a guy had sitting in his shed as a spare. His son totalled the truck, so he didn't need it anymore.

The key to reviving a vehicle is to not have to rely on having it as your daily driver. Since this one was given to me, I didn't have to worry about having it up and running asap. I've been in the situation where I had to get a dd running, it's not a fun time. If this truck dies, I can always pull it back in the garage and get it working. Or I can also just junk it. I don't have to rely on it. At the same time, I've been driving it more these days than my normal car, mostly because of the weather, but also because it's running so well, and I'm proud of what I've accomplished.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:17 AM

By the way, does the 3.4 bolt up to the tranny the 3.0 uses? Or will I need a new one? And what is the ORS kit you talked about Tigerstripe? For all the electrical stuff?

Thanks for the posts guys!
Are you running the Automatic or the Manual?
If you are running the Auto it will physically bolt up but I've read about durability issues with that.
If it's the manual transmission it's literally a bolt in proceedure.

Here is a link to the ORS Kits

They offer several different conversion kits. The kit I am talking about is the Full Conversion Kit. which has everything you need (hoses, clutch, wiring harness oil pan and sump tube, etc) in one box. Add the cross over pipe and you're set.

I have seriously considered pulling the 3.0, even with all of the improvements I have done to it to put in the 3.4. Again, rebuilding the 3.0 really isn't worth it.

Last edited by Tigerstripe40; 11-20-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:36 AM

Cyberman, I agree. Hopefully down the road I can get something worked out where I won't need it daily.

Tiger, I agree, as well, but like I mentioned early the situation is pretty tough. Thanks for the link by the way. Does the full conversion kit come with all the wiring stuff, too?
Old 11-21-2008, 01:18 AM

yes it does
Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 AM

Alright, thanks!