Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rebuild or Replace

Old 05-29-2017, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuild or Replace

In the process of converting my A/C to R134, the guy I bought the truck from said he had not used the A/C because the fan TKO'd the shroud. He said that it would run hot if he did. All that has been replaced and I don't know what condition the compressor is in. The easy way out is to replace the compressor, but my "stress relief" is working on the Yota. I want to tackle the compressor while I have the P/S off and the lines disconnected for flush. Has anyone rebuilt the compressor and if so, what would the ins and outs be?
Old 05-29-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
you might try 4crawler's website. seems i recall him having good compressor tech
Old 05-29-2017, 10:14 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
You'll likely be limited by the spare parts you can lay hands on.

Ordinarily, the shaft seal and the clutch, its solenoid and bearing, are the only parts commonly available, and you'll need a couple special tools to get even those changed.

I have opened different compressors up, just foolin around, and I can tell you that absolute cleanliness is a must. Kinda like auto tranny overhaul 'cept even cleaner.

It is my limited experience that when a compressor leaks at the main seal, it's often because there is excess slop in the compressors main bearings which tends to wear a new seal pretty fast.

I have had reasonable success changing ac clutches, but even that can be a pain.

I have had bad luck with just about every rebuilt compressor I have ever bought, so now I only will buy brand new ones, even if they cost 3 or 4 times what a rebuilt one does.

Good luck to you if you open yours up, and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by millball; 06-01-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Search this Thread