86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice

Hey guys, I've been referring to this forum for awhile now but this is my first post. I've had both a 2003 Sport and a 2006 Limited and loved them both. I have a 2006 SR5 Tundra now because I need a truck but I really want to get an older 4Runner again for off-roading and some cross-country.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 1995 4Runner that has 242,000 miles, with a new clutch and transmission and he wants $2,200. Since I've only dealt with the newer ones I have a few questions.

First, is this a good year for what I want to do, which could possibly include (in the future a bit) a lift, bigger tires, cross-country off-roading, etc.? Or should I look for a 2000-2003?

Second, is that decent mileage for that age? With my 2006 I looked for under 150k but that's quite a bit newer.

Third, what do I need to look for/watch out for?

Fourth, is that a fair price for this vehicle?

Thanks for any input. I'll try to get some photos of it and post them.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2nd gen 4rnr's are fine vehicles for offroading. all depends on you, but the 3rd gen's do have the 3.4....more powerful engine.

2,200? meh...really depends on the shape it's in all around. that is a fair amount of miles for original components....depending on what is original and, of course, how it's been treated. from what i've seen, you could get a 3rd gen for not much more than that

what to look for? engine health would be first; how well it runs, how strong it feels, how much does it leak, shape of the hoses, wiring, etc., compression....there's just a lot. and, including chassis bits like bushings, joints, suspension, steering...blah, blah

again, for the 2nd gen it depends on all those things because you could wind up putting another grand into getting it up to snuff for reliable off road use. photos would be good. oh, and records if the seller has them