86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

reasoning for locker.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reasoning for locker.

well. ive been gonig back and forth between wanting shocks and wanting a rear locker. my shocks are deff limiting downtravel in the rear, not so much in the front. however, quick story to explain the change in plans.

im early for a lax game one day, and decide to go try and find some place to take pics. i find a nifty lil place with a nice little ravine that i can put a wheel in to flex it all out. worked perfect. i got full flex and stuff everywhere. however. what do u get when u have an open diff and u lift a rear wheel off the ground? we're talkin 2wd here. hehehe. YA GET STUCK.

now. within 30 seconds of realizing my truck isnt moving, i learned the wonders of irrigation. yea. thats right. the sprinklers came on. i soon found out how the ravine got there too. lol. the water ran straight down through it, washing away even more dirt as i watched.

all was well, had a bud come and yank me back to 4 wheels, and went to the lax game, played the 2nd half of the first game and the whole 2nd game, not that badly either if ya me.

now, back to the topic, ive decided to go with a locker over the new shocks as my first priority. i figure regardless of what i do in the future, im going to need the rear locker, so might as well get it done.

couple of questions. this has to stay a dder so im going to have to do it the expensive way. arb is a bit out of my range, and i was thinking the detroit tru-trac would be the best option to me. does this seem like the best route for me?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Pretty much all the lunchbox style lockers act the same.
The detriot unit is a nice peice.
But as any auto locker you have to be carefull on wet roads, somtimes the rear end won't unlock and you will be doing some tokyo driftin!
Old 06-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah lockers on a DD can get annoying I wouldn't mind having Air lockers but i doubt there are many people who wouldn't. You have to keep in mind that you are dealing with a 2wd so becarful where you go.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:19 AM

lol. yes i know im dealing with a 2wd. i dont plan on getting stuck somewhere that i cant get out of with a little help. as for the tokyo drifting... do that without the locked diff, so not too worried. hehehe
Old 06-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dijlop
well. ive been gonig back and forth between wanting shocks and wanting a rear locker. my shocks are deff limiting downtravel in the rear, not so much in the front. however, quick story to explain the change in plans.

im early for a lax game one day, and decide to go try and find some place to take pics. i find a nifty lil place with a nice little ravine that i can put a wheel in to flex it all out. worked perfect. i got full flex and stuff everywhere. however. what do u get when u have an open diff and u lift a rear wheel off the ground? we're talkin 2wd here. hehehe. YA GET STUCK.

now. within 30 seconds of realizing my truck isnt moving, i learned the wonders of irrigation. yea. thats right. the sprinklers came on. i soon found out how the ravine got there too. lol. the water ran straight down through it, washing away even more dirt as i watched.

all was well, had a bud come and yank me back to 4 wheels, and went to the lax game, played the 2nd half of the first game and the whole 2nd game, not that badly either if ya me.

now, back to the topic, ive decided to go with a locker over the new shocks as my first priority. i figure regardless of what i do in the future, im going to need the rear locker, so might as well get it done.

couple of questions. this has to stay a dder so im going to have to do it the expensive way. arb is a bit out of my range, and i was thinking the detroit tru-trac would be the best option to me. does this seem like the best route for me?
Originally Posted by Jay351
Pretty much all the lunchbox style lockers act the same.
The detriot unit is a nice peice.
But as any auto locker you have to be carefull on wet roads, somtimes the rear end won't unlock and you will be doing some tokyo driftin!
NO.

The TrueTrac is NOT a locker. It is a Limited Slip. I had one. It sucked huge balls.

Here is the deal. The true trac is GREAT ON ROAD. My snow handling improved DRASTICALLY with the true trac.

Off Road, it was a disaster. In exactly the situation you were desribing, the true trac would act EXACTLY like an open diff.

Some claim you can use break biasing to get the wheel to hook up, and you can, but ONLY if you are very mildly stuck. If you have a wheel in the air, or are in a ditch, as you described, you could put the Ebrake on COMPLETELY, and you still would not get moving.

Its a DD, if you don't want to pony up for a selectable, get a lunchbox. It will be irritating on the road, but not unbearable. You will learn to deal with it. Off road, esp with a 2wd, you will thank yourself over and over.

As with anything, you get what you pay for. I have 2 ARB's, and let me tell you, i NEVER get tired of pushing my 3 magic buttons. Truck drives like a stock truck on the road, and like a double spooled truck off road.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea those detroits are a nice peice of ass, or front If your daring...
Old 06-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
NO.

The TrueTrac is NOT a locker. It is a Limited Slip. I had one. It sucked huge balls.

Here is the deal. The true trac is GREAT ON ROAD. My snow handling improved DRASTICALLY with the true trac.

Off Road, it was a disaster. In exactly the situation you were desribing, the true trac would act EXACTLY like an open diff.

Some claim you can use break biasing to get the wheel to hook up, and you can, but ONLY if you are very mildly stuck. If you have a wheel in the air, or are in a ditch, as you described, you could put the Ebrake on COMPLETELY, and you still would not get moving.

Its a DD, if you don't want to pony up for a selectable, get a lunchbox. It will be irritating on the road, but not unbearable. You will learn to deal with it. Off road, esp with a 2wd, you will thank yourself over and over.

As with anything, you get what you pay for. I have 2 ARB's, and let me tell you, i NEVER get tired of pushing my 3 magic buttons. Truck drives like a stock truck on the road, and like a double spooled truck off road.

Thank you for correcting me, I forgot which detriot was a limited slip

Arb's are great but for the average dd/off roader a lunchbox style would be fine.
But yes, stay away from limited slip "lockers".
Old 06-22-2007, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a locker because i wanted one. I rarely if ever go offroad anymore...

I've had it for a few months now and I can tell you that the offroad benefit is amazing and the on road is very predictable. I see no drawbacks at all to having one even if you do mostly street driving.

I went with a Lockright because Aussies were impossibly to get your hands on. Go with Aussie if you can get one for the better warranty but either will perform the same and are night and day better than stock opens...

If I were to do it again I'd do it before shocks too.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:40 PM

ok, so tru-tracs arent worth it. i need to go lunchbox style. lol. alright. if u can get a link to a site that'd be great, otherwise just some names of the actual part would help get me started. gotta find one thats what im looking for and thats going to fit in my budget.

thanks tons.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.powertrax.com/lockright.html
Old 06-22-2007, 01:14 PM

thanks much jay. i'll check it out.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:17 PM

http://www.powertrax.com/
Old 06-22-2007, 01:17 PM

ok, jay. i read the whole paragraph there, and it sounded great. till they gave me an option. lol. the powertracks or whatever, the "more for a dd'er", is that something i should look at, or just stick with the original clicky while turning yada yada "EXTREME POWER" one?

going to start chekcing prices now too. might help me decide.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:20 PM

I've got a Lock-Rite... works for me
Old 06-22-2007, 01:20 PM

So did you get to take any pictures? i wanted to see how bad you got stuck.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:21 PM

umm. i cant remember what size my diff is. dangit. i know i knew it at one point.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mattbaby24
So did you get to take any pictures? i wanted to see how bad you got stuck.
many pictures. many many. not downloaded yet, and im not sure when i'll get em up, but i have many. lol. it rly wasnt bad. just bad enough that one wheel was off the ground by about a quarter inch. which was enough. obviously
Old 06-22-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by dijlop
umm. i cant remember what size my diff is. dangit. i know i knew it at one point.
7.5 inch, right?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

I would stick with the lockright lunchbox style locker.
or "clicky while turning" locker.

look at your door sticker and get the axle code.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:25 PM

I would stick with the lockright lunchbox style locker.
or "clicky while turning" locker.

look at your door sticker and get the axle code.
yea. thats what im lookin at. the site there wasnt rly helpful. maybe im not doin it right, but i cant find any prices or anything on it. time to google. woooo.

Quick Reply: reasoning for locker.