86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear window problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window problem

Is there a way to manually lower or raise the rear window on a 86 4runner ???
Old 08-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

Ambigious answer coming, none that i have seen have manual regulators so a brick could be used, but this is a bad option.

So here we go, first what is happening....motor making sound but nothing else.

No sign of any life?

I will follow up after i have an idea what is the first diagnosis. I work in auto glass so I have plenty of ideas....none good....but maybe we will get lucky. But that said We will most likely be able to get it down, but back up is another story, so Lets start with what we can first find out.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

well, ive tried the method outlined in 4crawlers cheap tricks to jumper the terminals, no luck. ive checked all the connections, all the relays and switches to no avail. now, im just going to hardwire in the gate key and console switch with some relays and be done with that damned relay box in the back corner. something that should be relatively simple, seems to have been complicated by trying to cover every eventuality of what the driving public may come up with.

lee
Old 08-31-2006, 01:16 PM

my situation is the tailgate is in a junk yard on a truck that has not much else left on it but the window is up and I could use the new window to go with the tail gate. any ideas???
Old 08-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by swerks
my situation is the tailgate is in a junk yard on a truck that has not much else left on it but the window is up and I could use the new window to go with the tail gate. any ideas???
well yes kinda well ........just kidding

You may not like the work ahead of you....

you will have to try and jump the motor( window motor, not engine) How to do this is outlined in many areas (you will need a 12 volt source maybe a batterey pack jumper will suffice instead of a whole battery,dang lug that around a salvage yard lol, but in write ups you will see what you need), If this doesnt work, well lets get dirty.

Bring a can of PB a screw driver and an assorted amount of small metric sockets(6-14 I believe you will only need an 8,10, and a 12, but be safe)plus some torx(not sure been awhile since I have been in one....tailgate) and a cordless drill with a few assorted bits and lastly a hack saw. oooops tape and vise grips, hook tool. And all tools that go with brief outlined list.

Ok before I go any further is goal to save tail gate and window or just window, why I ask.....well alot of reasons but most importantly is time...if just the glass we can get in there quick and yank cut lower and get the glass. If tailgate too...well lets go slow

So you can get on your way and I wont keep you hanging lets go in full monty and save it all( crossing fingers)

First remove rectangle plate on inside of truck on tailgate(many screws be prepared to drill a few out). Then look at condition of everything..
Most of the time the regulators are shot( rusty, worn out etc.). So pb will help here. If the regulator cant be saved and the motor wasnt doing anything( jumping it showed no signs of life ie: sound, movement) its time to tape window in up position (you dont want it crashing down when you loosen or cut the regulator) You will now get a much better idea of what you are doing. if you can save the whole thing its just a matter of lowering the glass(at first only half way).

Once lowered half way carefully bring tailgate down. You may(most likely) have to manually get the cable that releases the tailgate latches(pb first) and give it a yank. Hopefully this will release tailgate( dont let it slam down, youll break that glass). once down put glass rest of the way down ....get tailgate hoof it out....

Im a little buzzed right now so this may seem simplistic or what ever...but tommorow at work I will check back if you have any more detailed questions...I hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

As said above you can jump the motor. their are 2 poles on the motor you hook + to one and - to the other and it will go in one direction switch them and it will go in the other direction. there is no manual way to lower it except taking it apart. i think all you need is a 10mm & 12mm and a phillips screw driver.
as far as by passing all the relays i have done this and it has worked pretty well do a search on my posts and it should bring up the instructions with a diagram and all. I will be out of town at the CO4RJ this weekend but feel free to PM me with any q's on it.
B