Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear window post #3,128

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window post #3,128

So I bought a gen 1 4Runner and guess what... the rear window doesn't want to work. I've been reading some of the existing threads, but I think I have yet another combination of symptoms/problems affecting the window.

First off, the previous owner had bypassed the factory setup with a toggle switch, but that never worked for me (said it quit on them a week or so before I bought it). I first thought it was the top bolts since it was missing most of them (had the top-to-cab bolts and the rear most bolt on either side). Put the bolt where the swicth is. Then I found that the factory connector at the motor had been undone to wire their toggle. I reconnected it and VOILA! The window started working as intended.

I rolled it most of the way down then decided to roll it up, realizing that it was REAL slow going up. I was using the key switch so I could help it by hand when I decided to touch the wiper arm. Ooops. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get the wiper arm to sit in the right place to get it all to work again. So now my window is about two inches from being closed and there is no hint of movement. I don't hear the relay click. I don't hear the motor try. It doesn't even make the dash light flicker.

I was ready to give up for the day when I randomly went to try the front window switches. They wouldn't work either but they did work fine before my rear window was fixed then quit.

I guess what I'm asking is are the front power windows and the rear window connected somehow? Do the share a common fuse or relay?

I'm going to keep searching, but thought I'd see if anyone had suggestions.

Thanks!
Patrick
Old 11-05-2009, 02:04 PM

I hope a missed part of the wire path when I was tracing the "rigged" wires from the toggle switch. If not, then the switch is wired somehow into the outputs for the left front speaker on the radio. Yeah, unlikely so I'll look at the wires again. I keep finding more "repairs" on this truck that needs to be reversed
Old 11-05-2009, 07:06 PM

yota, that's a good tidbit of info that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere before. I'm gonna try that tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:38 AM

Sweet! I'm saving that image for sure
Old 11-06-2009, 09:49 AM

yota!

The circuit breaker was the problem! Everything works as intended. I even went ahead and yanked all of the previous owners bypass wiring out since I think it may have helped trip the breaker (two sources of conflicting power?). And the motor seems strong since the window goes up quick and smooth. I think the truck was restored once in its lifetime since it is pretty rust free and in over all great shape, so a lot of parts seem younger than you'd expect. The folks I bought it from had it for just a few months, which I didn't realize until I looked at the issue date of the title when we went to the tag office... but that's off track...

Speaking of being off track, the only thing wrong with the back window now is that it sits crooked in the tailgate. I've looked at the teeth, I've looked at the regulater mounts at the window, but it all seems fine. Any suggestions? I'm not too worried about it though since it actually goes up and down now! Woohoo!

Thanks again, yota4runna (and yotatech)!