86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear leaf springs from JCWhitney?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear leaf springs from JCWhitney?

for their 1st generation 1989 4runner? I'm thinking about doing this instead of just adding a leaf. If I add a leaf, it doesn't give me anymore suspension. With a new set of leafs, I will have gotten rid of the droopy butt look and added suspension. Your thoughts on this? Thanks.

vmax84

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...8+1988/c-10101

Also, their catalog does not include the 1989 year for this application.....are the 1988 and 1989 rear leaf springs the same? Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
either way you need to make up that spring rate that you've lost, so it's going to be a wash. new leaves will just sag over time as well.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
either way you need to make up that spring rate that you've lost, so it's going to be a wash. new leaves will just sag over time as well.

I am looking to raise the droopy butt on the truck, as well as gain back the suspension that was lost with the droopy butt. Just by adding a leaf, I don't think, will give me the suspension back, just raise the butt of the truck. New leafs will raise the butt of the truck and add another inch or so of suspension.......am I right on this? Thanks.

vmax84
Old 02-07-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by vmax84
I am looking to raise the droopy butt on the truck, as well as gain back the suspension that was lost with the droopy butt. Just by adding a leaf, I don't think, will give me the suspension back, just raise the butt of the truck. New leafs will raise the butt of the truck and add another inch or so of suspension.......am I right on this? Thanks.

vmax84
right now your springs feel like crap because the leafs have sagged and all the weight of your truck is resting on the overload spring. (this is how it was in my '89).

what you're supposed to have is a set of leafs that have a low spring rate. that is, they deform easily when weight is added. but since trucks need to haul lots of weight sometimes, the 4runners had an overload spring (the thick short one at the bottom of the spring pack) that has a very high spring rate. that is, it doesn't deform easily with weight. but that doesn't matter because it shouldn't come into play unless you have a heavy load. trouble is, the springs sag over time, so the overload spring comes into play even with just the weight of the truck. so now, you have a very high spring rate for normal use, and your ride sucks.

so if you put an aal in, it will push the springs up and they won't be resting on the overload spring anymore. everything will feel better and you'll probably be back up to stock height. if you get new springs, they will also not be on the overload spring and you'll be back up to stock height. they'll probably both feel the same because the worn out springs plus aal will have about the same spring rate as new springs. both options should bring you back to close to stock.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by mike_d
right now your springs feel like crap because the leafs have sagged and all the weight of your truck is resting on the overload spring. (this is how it was in my '89).

what you're supposed to have is a set of leafs that have a low spring rate. that is, they deform easily when weight is added. but since trucks need to haul lots of weight sometimes, the 4runners had an overload spring (the thick short one at the bottom of the spring pack) that has a very high spring rate. that is, it doesn't deform easily with weight. but that doesn't matter because it shouldn't come into play unless you have a heavy load. trouble is, the springs sag over time, so the overload spring comes into play even with just the weight of the truck. so now, you have a very high spring rate for normal use, and your ride sucks.

so if you put an aal in, it will push the springs up and they won't be resting on the overload spring anymore. everything will feel better and you'll probably be back up to stock height. if you get new springs, they will also not be on the overload spring and you'll be back up to stock height. they'll probably both feel the same because the worn out springs plus aal will have about the same spring rate as new springs. both options should bring you back to close to stock.
Holy cow, thanks for the response!! If I do decide to go with the cheaper route (add a leaf), where does that leaf go? At the bottom of the pile of leafs, in the middle???? Where? I think JCWhitney has a pair of leafs for around 37 bucks. Pretty cheap. And the leaf (the brand new set) are about 142 each. But I think they are advertising free shipping right now.

Hmmmmm........

vmax84

But thanks for the good help.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:49 PM

Here's another thread which I guess I should of just added to. Same problem, just had a different question. If the link works, the pic does show the sag in the leaf springs. It just doesn't look like much suspension, looking at the rubber rebound thing and the frame.

vmax84

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ghlight=vmax84
Old 02-07-2006, 05:11 PM

HERES A LINK TO A POST ON 4X4WIRE ABOUT THE DROOPY BUT SYNDROME. I AM INSTALLING THE TJ COILS ON MY 87 4X4 PU. I WILL HOPEFULLY GET TO IT THIS WEEKEND. ILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT.
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...4&fpart=1&vc=1
Old 02-08-2006, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by AVTECH
HERES A LINK TO A POST ON 4X4WIRE ABOUT THE DROOPY BUT SYNDROME. I AM INSTALLING THE TJ COILS ON MY 87 4X4 PU. I WILL HOPEFULLY GET TO IT THIS WEEKEND. ILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT.
Thanks for the link, but that coil stuff is just too crazy for an old guy like me!!! Just gonna try and get a leaf repair going.

vmax84
Old 02-08-2006, 04:36 AM

This is not how I want my 4runner to look:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=663
Old 02-08-2006, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AVTECH

Same here. I'll be doing the TJ coil mod in my 88 pickup. Just picked up a couple of rear ones for only $10. But when I looked under the truck, my lower bump stops were gone! I'll have to fab a lower capture bracket for the coils or find some old bump stops.

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 02-08-2006 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:24 PM

Anybody have any good luck with Summit Racing on this topic? Thanks.

vmax84
Old 02-09-2006, 08:55 AM

I just bought some OME springs from 4wheelparts for $337 springs and bushings to my door. Probably a better spring than jcwhitney...The bushings were on backorder and should get them any day now.
hope that helped
JG
Old 02-09-2006, 11:35 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by vmax84
Holy cow, thanks for the response!! If I do decide to go with the cheaper route (add a leaf), where does that leaf go? At the bottom of the pile of leafs, in the middle???? Where? I think JCWhitney has a pair of leafs for around 37 bucks. Pretty cheap. And the leaf (the brand new set) are about 142 each. But I think they are advertising free shipping right now.

Hmmmmm........

vmax84

But thanks for the good help.
It should also be pointed out (just in case) that all AddaLeafs are not the same - some are designed to provide stiffer rate but no lift at all, and some are designed to give as much as 4" of lift. Be sure if you buy AALs that you get the ones you need for what you want to do.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
It should also be pointed out (just in case) that all AddaLeafs are not the same - some are designed to provide stiffer rate but no lift at all, and some are designed to give as much as 4" of lift. Be sure if you buy AALs that you get the ones you need for what you want to do.
Great advice !!!!! Thanks.

vmax84
Old 02-26-2006, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey i bought the leaf packs from jcwhitney about a year ago, i have a 1989 pickup 4x4, no sagging yet, and no signs of it either, i do tow with them and their great. the only thing i would recomend would be to do poly bushings cause jcw only gives you rubber ones. i am looking into AAL only to get a little more ground clearance from stock
Old 02-27-2006, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by 89red4x4yota
hey i bought the leaf packs from jcwhitney about a year ago, i have a 1989 pickup 4x4, no sagging yet, and no signs of it either, i do tow with them and their great. the only thing i would recomend would be to do poly bushings cause jcw only gives you rubber ones. i am looking into AAL only to get a little more ground clearance from stock
Thanks for your feedback!!

vmax84
Old 02-27-2006, 04:46 AM

Looks like the JCWhitney link shows $132 per side. I called Downey a week or so ago because they don't have any prices on their website right now, and a pair of new springs, I think the 2" ones, were like $180. Seems like a better deal than $260 for two.

Brian