86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear end problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rear end problems

well i was driveing and then i would hear a noise from the rear didnt think to much of it......................

so then the brake peddle went to the floor she still stopped but get this i would hear a loud pop from the rear then the peddle would come flying up to the top with the rear tyres locking up. my knee still hurts from hitting the steering wheel.

i took it in just cause i dont wanna heat the gerage and deal with it they told me its 950 bucks!!

she needs

rear wheels bearings
rear axle seals
rear shoes, drums, hard were kit
rear clyenders
just about everything

my question is how hard is it to do the rear wheel bearings and seals are they just a pop out and hammer in or are they pressed cause they quoted me 480 bucks for just that and i wanna know if i can do that my self and save 900 bucks on everything. So please some one help me and yes this is on the newerish runner i got if it is pressed and cost to much im going to just strip it and junk it and fix the motor on my trail rig and drive that one but i really dont wannna do that. Thanks for any help at all on this matter

-Allan

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 02-23-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Title edited and warning issued
Old 02-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No allan you don't want ot hammer the bearings off and on.

you can pull the rear axle shafts and bring them into a machine shop and have them press the bearings off and on.

I would od it yourself much cheaper than 950.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you need access to a press, and a SST. then its cake. you can even make your own sst to save some money, thats what i did. heres a link, http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...wheel_bearing/

Last edited by TOYOTA 1; 02-23-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:42 PM

Allen, I think superbleeder just did this job. Search for his postings on it, or pm him.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
that's weird for the brakes to react the way they did but ok...

Yeah the breaks are the easy part. When I first got my truck, EVERYTHING in the rear brake system (besides the LSPV and the hard lines ) was shot, and I replaced it all; cylinders, harware kit, shoes, drums... about $150 in parts for the brakes.

Now my wheal bearings I just did a while ago, as Freak mentioned (is it ok if I just call you Freak? ) You can get to them very easily, but to do it right and be sure nothing else get's damaged, once you get to them, you'll have to get the old bearings pressed off the axel and back plate, and then have the new bearings pressed back on. About $40 a peice for a quality bearing, $4ish for the inner seals, same for the outters, and I matched the O-rings up (their between the backing plate and axle tube; you'll see em) at Napa for like $1 each.

assuming you have access to a press, a good days work, and FAR cheaper than $900

not a write up, but my thread on the bearings:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-video-156468/

wait a minute... ... did a mod just change the title of the thread? I could have sworn it read more than "rear end problems" a second ago...

not "family friendly" I guess?

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-23-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
The thread title was changed because it was not appropriate. There is no reason to reference the "F" Bomb in a thread title
Old 02-23-2009, 05:40 PM

yeah im sorry for the f bomb didnt mean it that way and thank you for all your help guys im thinking i might look into it but if its more then my head gasket from the dealer that i can get for less then 100 bucks with the coolant and head bolts im might just strip this truck and get rid of it i paid 400 bucks for it 500 including title and everything so im not looking to be spending all that much for it

as for the the bearings my buddy works at a race sho and he thinks i can come up there and use the press if so then i can get everythign rear brakes bearings and seals everything for about 150 bucks i have a friend at a atuo store sweet hook-ups!

but if i do go thought with it that i might i will take lots of pictures and one sweet write up thanks a million everyone!!
Old 02-23-2009, 05:51 PM

and bleader you used a press but how did you get them off? i see doin gthe old ol smash on the ground trick works but im scared to mess up the axle it self any ideas?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by just a 22re
and bleader you used a press but how did you get them off? i see doin gthe old ol smash on the ground trick works but im scared to mess up the axle it self any ideas?
Getting the axle shaft to come out of the bearing is the easy part, you'll see that, but getting the bearing out of the backing plate can prove to be a little more difficult Ask your buddy at the shop if he's ever messed with Toyota rear axle bearings first. If not, a little about it after you study it, you'll get it. The guy I took them to was a friend of my fathers, and when I first handed the axle/backing plate/bearing assymbly to him, he looked at it for a minute, scratched is head, walked over to the press, and then it took him about 10-15 minutes to figure it out, lol. Once he figured it out, the second one was quick for him. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you exactly the proccess he used, but it worked

but he actully used a hydraulic press, not the "bang on the ground" method

sorry I couldn't be of any more help there
Old 02-24-2009, 10:27 AM

yeah the shop is for race cars the dirt junk so i dont think he ever even drove a yota lol

thanks again though ill see what i can come up with
Old 02-24-2009, 10:33 AM

Isn't it cheaper just to go buy a used axle? lol
Old 02-24-2009, 11:53 AM

DO IT YOURSELF. You said you had a buddy with axes to a press and another buddy with axes to cheap parts. That is a no brainer if you ask me. Then if you decide you still want to sell it you get that mutch more for the truck. You've got plenty of people who love those trucks and are willing to pay resonable prices for a quality truck. Go for it budd.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
Getting the axle shaft to come out of the bearing is the easy part, you'll see that, but getting the bearing out of the backing plate can prove to be a little more difficult Ask your buddy at the shop if he's ever messed with Toyota rear axle bearings first. If not, a little about it after you study it, you'll get it. The guy I took them to was a friend of my fathers, and when I first handed the axle/backing plate/bearing assymbly to him, he looked at it for a minute, scratched is head, walked over to the press, and then it took him about 10-15 minutes to figure it out, lol. Once he figured it out, the second one was quick for him. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you exactly the proccess he used, but it worked

but he actully used a hydraulic press, not the "bang on the ground" method

sorry I couldn't be of any more help there
is it easier than messing with Nissan rear axle bearings... newer cars...those r a PITA
Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mikepr55
DO IT YOURSELF. You said you had a buddy with axes to a press and another buddy with axes to cheap parts. That is a no brainer if you ask me. Then if you decide you still want to sell it you get that mutch more for the truck. You've got plenty of people who love those trucks and are willing to pay resonable prices for a quality truck. Go for it budd.
Axes, you say?

Old 02-25-2009, 01:41 PM

that will get the job done hey dc but i dont think thats a toyota service tool though lol

and im thinking of just rebuilding the rear end so i can drive her again cause im going to need a truck or a car for that mater so im thinking of just rebuilding her thanks for all the help guys thanks!!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

yeah I think if I ever need to replace them again (for whatever reason; the originals laster 290k miles ), I'd just replace the axles with a set of chrome moly's, and get some junk-yard backing plates, cut the bearings out myself, just get to a press when I could and get it all together, and have the assymbely's ready to just slide in and bolt on
Old 02-25-2009, 05:25 PM

@ superbleeder, why molys? have you had problems with the stock axels?

oh and when i did my wheel bearings, they came out of the backing plate fairly easy.
the were on good and tight to the axel though.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
@ superbleeder, why molys? have you had problems with the stock axels?

oh and when i did my wheel bearings, they came out of the backing plate fairly easy.
the were on good and tight to the axel though.
why not?

someone once told me "the only thing stronger than bullet-proof is indestructable"

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-25-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:55 PM

so the next time you break a front axel your going to sas??

lol jk, i hear what your saying!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:45 PM

ok i got the drivers side all about and found out that the bearings were so bad that i dont kno whow the tyres stayed on the truck!!!

but heres what om goign to do and let me know if this is a good deal

shoes-$15
hard wear kit - $15
drums- $€45 each
and im going to see if the shop will just do the bearings and seals if i drop off the axles by them im hoping!!!!

i do need a part number though

the seal thats on the axle tube itself at the end where the axle and backing plate bolts on i kinda got mad and ripped it off an dnow i need a new plus im here now and dont wanna do it again so im going to replae them anyways any ideas??

thanks guys and when all is said and done im doing a write up with pictures and everything nut sizes everything!!!!!

Quick Reply: rear end problems