Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rattling during exceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 08:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I replaced a new head gasket on my 91 Toyota.
I notice as I excelerate their seems to be rattling.
As I maintain a steady speed, I no longer hear the noise.
An this noise is throughout all gears.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Possible exhaust leak.

Possible spark knock/detonation. Check ignition timing.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:15 PM

The exhaust is good an tight, it's pressured.I attempted to check the timing but had a difficult time locating the TE1 and E1 on the fuse box. Can you tell me how an where to connect them. Can you explain spark knock/ detonation?

Last edited by Diego toyota; 02-08-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Spark knock, or detonation, or 'pinging'; is caused by the mixture in a cylinder igniting explosively before the piston is near enough to top dead center.

It makes a characteristic rattling, or knocking noise.

The abnormally high pressures that occur when there is detonation can permanantly damage the engine.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you use a thicker head gasket? I could see the scenario of decking the surfaces a little more than normal and then using a thicker head gasket. I've heard that this can increase the chance of detonation because you enlarge the quench area of the piston to the head.

Probably not, but if you used a thicker head gasket you might want to keep it in the back of your mind.

This video from Jafromobile explains it well. Starts at the 14:30 mark.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:03 PM

i have set the timing, which has given me more speed an power. The grinding, rattling noise is still there when I accelerate. What would be my next step?
Thanks!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:10 PM

Rattling during exeleration

[QUOTE=Davebarbier;52308507]Did you use a thicker head gasket? I could see the scenario of decking the surfaces a little more than normal and then using a thicker head gasket. I've heard that this can increase the chance of detonation because you enlarge the quench area of the piston to the head.

Probably not, but if you used a thicker head gasket you might want to keep it in the back of your mind.

[/QUOTE

I'll look at the video. Are you saying I should change the head gasket? Thanks Davebarbier!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:15 PM

[quote=Diego toyota]
Originally Posted by Davebarbier
Did you use a thicker head gasket? I could see the scenario of decking the surfaces a little more than normal and then using a thicker head gasket. I've heard that this can increase the chance of detonation because you enlarge the quench area of the piston to the head.

[/QUOTE

I'll look at the video. Are you saying I should change the head gasket? Thanks Davebarbier!
No! Last resort when you try everything else. And only if the head gasket you used was thicker than stock.

I just jumped on the detonation bandwagon because other's mentioned it but rattling can be anything. Valves adjusted properly? Driver's side timing chain guide in good shape when you did the work? My truck had the classic rattling noise from a broken timing chain guide which lets the chain slap the timing cover. I'd verify the valve tappet clearance and when you have the valve cover off have a look at the guides for the timing chain.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:43 PM

Rattling during exeleration

[QUOTE=Davebarbier;52308513]
Originally Posted by Diego toyota

No! Last resort when you try everything else. And only if the head gasket you used was thicker than stock.

I just jumped on the detonation bandwagon because other's mentioned it but rattling can be anything. Valves adjusted properly? Driver's side timing chain guide in good shape when you did the work? My truck had the classic rattling noise from a broken timing chain guide which lets the chain slap the timing cover. I'd verify the valve tappet clearance and when you have the valve cover off have a look at the guides for the timing chain.
I did the valve adjustment, it's quiet.
I changed the guide an chain 4000 miles ago. I inspected the guide, it's good. The only reason for changing the the head gasket was I attempted to put in the timing chain cover without lifting the head twice 😔 An I messed up the head gasket. Only because I heard it was possible. I failed, so I decided to lift the head. Now the head is on now. Then the rattling while exeleration starts!
Old 02-09-2016, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Diego toyota
I did the valve adjustment, it's quiet.
I changed the guide an chain 4000 miles ago. I inspected the guide, it's good. The only reason for changing the the head gasket was I attempted to put in the timing chain cover without lifting the head twice 😔 An I messed up the head gasket. Only because I heard it was possible. I failed, so I decided to lift the head. Now the head is on now. Then the rattling while exeleration starts!
When I did my chain guide replacement I didn't lift the head. I actually cut off the loose head gasket flush to the block. I luckily had a spare head gasket from a kit lying around and cut that part off the new one and Permatex'd it to the top of the timing cover. So right now my head gasket is in two pieces...it's going fine.

So are you saying the rattling started 4K miles ago when you did that work or the rattling just started up recently?

How tight did you torque the chain tensioner? They're very sensitive and can't take a lot of torque. If it's too much, they can warp and bind the tensioner piston preventing it from picking up the slack from the chain.

Can you make a video or audio clip of the noise? Does the noise happen only while it's under load or does it happen if you're stationary? Sadly, I'm not very experienced with these trucks, so hopefully some others will chime in soon.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:53 AM

When I did my chain guide replacement I didn't lift the head. I actually cut off the loose head gasket flush to the block. I luckily had a spare head gasket from a kit lying around and cut that part off the new one and Permatex'd it to the top of the timing cover. So right now my head gasket is in two pieces...it's going fine.

So are you saying the rattling started 4K miles ago when you did that work or the rattling just started up recently?

How tight did you torque the chain tensioner? They're very sensitive and can't take a lot of torque. If it's too much, they can warp and bind the tensioner piston preventing it from picking up the slack from the chain.

Can you make a video or audio clip of the noise? Does the noise happen only while it's under load or does it happen if you're stationary? Sadly, I'm not very experienced with these trucks, so hopefully some others will chime in soon.
Good morning Davebabier, all this rattling started after I replaced the new head gasket, as of last week. Had I known what you spoke of about cutting tha piece off an replacing it. It would have saved me a lot of everything. But like they say, as you live you learn. More so you hear the rattling under load. I just took off my valve cover, look to the side of the timing chain an there are groves into the side of the driver guide. I was't expecting that only because I changed it 4000 miles ago. When I did replace the guides, I did not tourque it. What are your views?
Should I take down the timing chaincover?cut that piece that you spoke of.
That was the reason why I took off the head in the 1st place, because I bent
The front part of the gasket while trying to put in place the timing cover.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2016, 08:56 AM

I was more taking about the torque on the tensioner, but I wouldn't dive in to removing the timing cover again just yet. Until some other members offer some more suggestions.

But since you just did some work to it I'd think it was something that you did to make the rattling...what that is, I have no idea. Just because I'm leaning towards chain rattle doesn't mean that's what it is. I've been wrong plenty of times, haha.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I think a video would be kind of hard to do but it might help. Also pictures of under the valve cover of the rockers and the timing chain couldn't hurt.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:46 PM

I was more taking about the torque on the tensioner, but I wouldn't dive in to removing the timing cover again just yet. Until some other members offer some more suggestions.

But since you just did some work to it I'd think it was something that you did to make the rattling...what that is, I have no idea. Just because I'm leaning towards chain rattle doesn't mean that's what it is. I've been wrong plenty of times, haha.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I think a video would be kind of hard to do but it might help. Also pictures of under the valve cover of the rockers and the timing chain couldn't hurt.
Thanks much Davebarbier!
Old 02-14-2016, 02:05 PM

Ticking while under load

Originally Posted by millball
Possible exhaust leak.

Possible spark knock/detonation. Check ignition timing.
Good evening,
I am hoping, someone out there can help me by sharing with me where this annoying ticking is coming from when under load. I replaced new plus
An wire, have made sure there's no exhaust leak an have set the timing
With specifications. An someone help thanks.