86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radiator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the radiator went in ok, there were 2 small tubes on the bottom of the unit that must be for another application. I linked them together with some fuel hose. I took very few pics but I will post a few later on.

Only hitch was I stripped the adjusting bolt on the alternator. No problem though, I had a few metric bolts kicking around and I just pulled the entire unit and put it in a vice to get get the ould bolt out.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
there were 2 small tubes on the bottom of the unit that must be for another application.
Auto transcooler? I have seen it used as a steering pump cooler too.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by ctcost
Just bought one that matches dimensions exactly one ebay. The guy has sold over 3,000 radiators with no negative feedback so I'll let you know how it goes. Putting it in tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes as he guarantees that it is commercial quality. His 3 core radiators are like $89 and he's VERY easy on shipping!
OK the radiator I got was 3 core and good. The ebay seller is named Vinnie just look for his auctions here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33602

4000 + feedback and 100% rating. Plus he turned out to be a great guy to deal with!
Old 06-18-2005, 05:44 AM

Cool, I think I'm gonna go with the Radiator Connection (ebay guy) or Radiator Barn unless Autozone will math their price. Anybody know if they will?

I think my tranny fluid is leaking into my coolant (due to internal damage of the radiator) as trans has been losing about 1/4 qt. a month, but I can not find a leak anywhere--I mean I've been all over the tranny and cannot find a drop of tranny fluid-it's got to be going somewhere! Coolant/radiator has a slow leak-which is actually good, because if the coolant was leaking into the tranny that is WAY bigger problem. Anybody ever have this situation??
Old 06-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Reldnew
Cool, I think I'm gonna go with the Radiator Connection (ebay guy) or Radiator Barn unless Autozone will math their price. Anybody know if they will?

I think my tranny fluid is leaking into my coolant (due to internal damage of the radiator) as trans has been losing about 1/4 qt. a month, but I can not find a leak anywhere--I mean I've been all over the tranny and cannot find a drop of tranny fluid-it's got to be going somewhere! Coolant/radiator has a slow leak-which is actually good, because if the coolant was leaking into the tranny that is WAY bigger problem. Anybody ever have this situation??
I've heard of ATF leaking into the transfer case but never the radiator. I doubt it is very probable. Check the level of your transfer case and see if it is too full. I've had good service from http://www.radiator.com/index.php?cm...83103autoparts
Old 06-19-2005, 06:42 AM

Question

I've heard of ATF leaking into the transfer case but never the radiator. I doubt it is very probable. Check the level of your transfer case and see if it is too full. I've had good service from http://www.radiator.com/index.php?c...583103autoparts
Hmmmm, interesting....
Well the radiator needed to be replaced anyway as I had soldered it up in a few places already. I went to Autozoned and they matched the best price I could find on the web. Intall was a cakewalk. Just for info purposes I went to my friend and pro mechanic -awesome dude, lifelong import wrench and racer- and he said he has seen the tranny fluid leak into the radiator coolant but only once or twice. Far more common is coolant leaking into the trans, which, needless to say pretty much ruins the tranny, even if you catch it early, repair it and flush it.

So fresh fluids and new radiator, now I will watch the tranny level again and see if it is still disapearing.

Question:
If the ttans fluid it is in fact leaking into the transfer case, can they be seperated to replace the seal?? I don't have my factory service manual here to check. I will check transfer level Wed. morn and update, if anyone is curious.

PS The radiator had a slow leak, so I could not detect if the level of coolant was rising. The places where it was leaking on the radiator had a dried red color to them--kinda like trans fluid. Yes the coolant is red too, but I had never seen it leave a red colored residue when it evaporates or dries up; For instance, around the cap there was white crusty powder from coolant overflow and faulty cap--these spots are RED.

Last edited by Reldnew; 06-19-2005 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:03 AM

I just found this tidbit of info regarding red coolant:

Red is preferred. Supposedly, it has an oxidating coagulant that will "scab" over if you spring a small leak.
So maybe that is what caused all the red spots on the radiator where the leaks were.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:36 PM

Well I checked the fluid level in the transfer case today and it is NOT overfull.
Level is right at the fill hole, as it should be and is clean. So, the trans fluid is/was not leaking out the tailshaft into the transfer case. If it continues to go down, it must be the front seal or pan gasket-but they are both clean, It must have been going into the radiator.
Time will tell.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:53 AM

Sweet they matched the price. Yeah install is a breeze on that...Glad to hear you got fixed up as well. Nice not to smell radiator fluid isn't it???
Old 09-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
I looked up radiator .com and they have this weird program that asks you questions about your application. I got side tracked in the middle of the questions, when I started up again the "person" asked me the same questions in the same order, so I asked if the "person" was real or a computer. The question that followed was one of the application questions, so I responded by telling the "person" they were a cool computer program, and how long would it take for the toyota tech to call. They responded by giving me a 25$ cupon off for figuring out it was an automated computer program and not a real person.

For those of you shopping for a rad. keep this in mind to save a few $$$
That is pretty cool, I just went through the same program "chuck" is the person. I started giving odd replys to the questions and asked if "he" was a real person or a computer program. "He" told me that this was a very tricky installation and I should talk to one of the Toyota techs. I asked "him" if he knew what time is was (12:25am) and then "chuck" left the chat. I replied to "chuck" that if they wanted to call me go ahead and gave my cell #. 2 minutes later, my cell phone rings with a 703 area code but the call got dropped. No $25 discount was offered. I'll call them tomorrow.

How is your new radiator holding out? It should be in there almost three months now.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, Funny I was just looking to post another thread regarding my manual hubs, and I saw this thread. I forgot I even started it, too much . The radiator seems to be holding up fine, I just don't like those little "nipples" at the bottom that I have jerry rigged with fuel hose. There are 2 more hose clamps to worry about now. I really need to get a radiator flush, I suspect I did not circulate all the fluid out of the rear heater core when I did the swap. In the next month or two I will do the flush as part of winter preparation. I also have to look at the heater hoses again.

I am sure it was a three core that I got, which is really cool, no pun intend.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Yesterday, I ordered a new radiator from radiator.com. Overnight shipping included for $145 out the door. Performance had a cheaper price, but I wanted an american made OEM product (that's what radiator.com says they sell). So we'll see when it gets here if I have the same two nipples to plug that you mentioned.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Finished the manual hub conversion last night..... Cowboy got bling!!
Old 09-14-2005, 04:10 PM

The "nipples" are for an additional trans cooler lines for automatics.

I managed to pick up a 3 row from CSF for $105 that went in perfectly and am glad that your radiator install went good for you.

Last edited by 94x4; 09-15-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94x4
The "nipples" are for an additional trans cooler lines for automatics.

I managed to pick up a 3 row from CSF for $115 that went in perfectly and am glad that your radiator install went good for you.
What does CSF stand for?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

CSF= Cerebral Spinal Fluid

So I take it those nipples would feet one of two coils in a tranny cooler?
Old 09-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Got my "American made" OEM radiator the other day from radiator.com.
On the outside of the box guess what it says...MADE IN THAILAND! I'm pretty sure the sales guy said it was supposed to be american made. Maybe he said it was an american company and then that company has them made in Thailand. It has a lifetime warranty so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned as long as it fits right.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:23 PM

Anyone know where the ebay radiator guy's are made. Anymore thoughts on his radiators?