Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Radiator fix or tires - need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DupermanDave
So here's the deal: I saved up money from each paycheck to buy some new tires for my truck. I have $300 stashed away.

Yesterday (and for the past few weeks) my truck has been dripping coolant. It's a weird leak, because it's not constant. It happens sometimes, but not all the time. It NEVER drips at the parking garage or at my work parking lot, but if we're at the store it will drip a tiny puddle. I laugh and say "It's not leaking, it's marking its territory."

So yesterday I realized the weather might not get so bad that I need new tires for the snow. I may be able to push off new tires until 3 months from now. I have a decent amount of tread left, but they definitely are wearing thin.

So what do you guys think I should do? Should I get a new all aluminum 2-core radiator and new thermostat? Or should I just buy the tired and let the thing drip? The truck isn't overheating the heater works.

I'm trying to justify buying a radiator and not tires, but I know once I get the radiator I'll regret it. And I know spring and summer is coming, so I'll need a radiator then more than I'll need new tires.

I just ordered a new three core all metal radiator for my 4Runner and it was about one hundred sixty dollars shipped and today i got a new thermostat from the dealer for about nineteen dollars, so about one hundred eighty dollars for everything. So you need to decide what you need most, new tires or radiator and thermostat ?.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll go with the tires. I drove my truck around all day today and haven't noticed it leak once. I turned the heat on full and tried to get it to heat up/overheat and see if that makes a difference. I couldn't get it to drip.

I also didn't know you could repair a radiator. I thought all you could do is diagnose a leak, and if there is a (pinhole) leak you replace it. If it was something fixable, like a leaky radiator cap or leaky neck you could just chop the neck and weld/solder another one on.

What's involved when they rod a radiator? Other than shoving a big rod down the tanks, do they patch up any holes?

Last edited by DupermanDave; 03-03-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DupermanDave
What's involved when they rod a radiator? Other than shoving a big rod down the tanks, do they patch up any holes?
for more details but basically... Rodding out a radiator is the process of removing the radiator tanks and pushing rods through the radiator core to clean it. After the core is clean the tanks are soldered back on.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
for more details but basically... Rodding out a radiator is the process of removing the radiator tanks and pushing rods through the radiator core to clean it. After the core is clean the tanks are soldered back on.

That's what I determined by Googling (I'm a fan of Google) but I was looking for something more in depth (youtube helped too). But I'm still left wondering how dirt and rust would help my radiator leak issue. I'd think after removing the dirt and rust there would be more gaps and less surface area in the tanks and cause more rusting.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a radiator that leaked.

I replaced it. The one I replaced it with leaked. I fixed the leak. My temperature sensor died. The leak unfixed itself. Coolant dumped. Internal temperatures got hot. Head gasket blew.

Now my Supra sits and I drive an '82 pickup beater.

Don't underestimate proper cooling.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by forbiddenera
I had a radiator that leaked.

I replaced it. The one I replaced it with leaked. I fixed the leak. My temperature sensor died. The leak unfixed itself. Coolant dumped. Internal temperatures got hot. Head gasket blew.

Now my Supra sits and I drive an '82 pickup beater.

Don't underestimate proper cooling.
The moral of the story: even new radiators won't solve a leak every time?