86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about Smog Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 05:12 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Question about Smog Pump

I was reading up about emissions systems. I noted that my mom's 83 22R came with a smog pump. My 87, however, doesn't have one, and all the belts fit. (has a/c)

My 87 has not been desmogged, and has all original parts, and yes, has the carbed 22R in it as well.

Both of them say that they pass federal emissions standards.

I have not seen any reference to the 87 not having a smog pump.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Emissions standards were changing each year from the 70's-80's so auto manufacturers kept having to modify emissions systems to keep up and carburated vehicles pollute more than EFI ones. Toyota used a mix of reed/p.a.i.r./s.a.i.r. valves, smog pumps, charcoal canisters, EGR valves and catalytic converters to keep HC and NOX emissions below the various levels allowable at that time. There were stricter standards for California vehicles vs Federal.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by gsp4life
Emissions standards were changing each year from the 70's-80's so auto manufacturers kept having to modify emissions systems to keep up and carburated vehicles pollute more than EFI ones. Toyota used a mix of reed/p.a.i.r./s.a.i.r. valves, smog pumps, charcoal canisters, EGR valves and catalytic converters to keep HC and NOx emissions below the various levels allowable at that time. There were stricter standards for California vehicles vs Federal.
^^ Yes.

My 1987 22R carbureted truck is completely stock and does not have a smog pump. It is a Federal Emissions truck.

There are also differences between California and Federal Emissions trucks for each year as well as the differences for emissions standards for each model year.

That means there are many configurations for the emissions systems, even with the same engine.