86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pulling my motor. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling my motor. Any advice?

Today I'll be pulling my motor. What is the simplest way to go about this?
Its a 22re out of a 91 pickup. I don't think the truck has a/c, so I shouldn't have to worry about that. But I'll be taking pictures and labeling everything, I thought I read something about taking the intake off so I don't have to mess with vacuum lines?
Old 05-07-2011, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any way u do it you will have to mess with the vacuum lines, make sure u mark where they do go and take pics lots of them, that is usually the number one problem when some one is putting it back together, get some electrical tape and mark them with the colored stuff they have like 5 different colors and masking tape will come off easy if u ask me.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:50 AM

The vacuum hose deal is only a real issue if you don't have the under hood diagram to go by when reinstalling.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:20 PM

As stated, mark everything, both ends. Use a non blurring marker, your are guaranteed to get some type of fluid on them. Leave as much on the engine as possible, then when you transfer everything over you can do one thing at a time. Take your time and keep track of all the bolts.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:31 AM

This is where I am. What do I do now? It looks like a majority of the vacuum lines go from the head to the intake, do I pull the motor first, then pull the vacuum/intake stuff? Or that stuff first then the motor? And on my main wiring harness I have a few extra "plugs", did Toyota just have a generic harness and toss it in all cars, what would explain this?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:35 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
before you starting yanking off random lines..take tons of pictures and mark everything...

why are you pulling your engine anyway?? No offense but you seem kind of clueless.

you go to put that thing back in and have two left over random vacuum lines that will not allow you to run...

download the factory service manual from the link in my sig...study and study before you start turning wrenches to the left...

start by unhooking the battery and draining your fluids
Old 05-08-2011, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
before you starting yanking off random lines..take tons of pictures and mark everything...

why are you pulling your engine anyway?? No offense but you seem kind of clueless.

you go to put that thing back in and have two left over random vacuum lines that will not allow you to run...

download the factory service manual from the link in my sig...study and study before you start turning wrenches to the left...

start by unhooking the battery and draining your fluids
I'm pulling my motor to rebuild it. I have had this Truck for about 3 weeks now, and never had a Toyota previous to this. Which is why I may seem clueless, I have never pulled a Toyota motor. I've had Subaru's previous to this, which is quite different. I would like to learn through this process, so I'd appreciate help and not criticism. And from my picture, my radiator is out, so my fluids are drained. Next I'll be doing my power steering stuff, trans, and move onto vacuum lines when the motor is out. I know to label everything and take pictures. Thanks
Old 05-08-2011, 05:07 AM

Toyota or not, the same general process is used for taking out any kind of motor. I've swapped a dozens of motors on several different makes and models, and the things to look out for are all the same: label the crap out of everything, take a thousand pictures, use baggies or the equivalent to hold your bolts and label the bags/containers so that you know EXACTLY where they go when you go to put everything back, check, double check and triple check that you have everything disconnected from the engine to the truck/engine to tranny before you go yanking it up, and support your tranny before you pull the motor so the weight of it doesn't bind up the whole thing.

If you follow all of this and double check it before you go to yanking, you should be ok. The hardest part and the most time consuming is all of the prep work. BUT, if you take your time and do it right, you will save countless hours of troubleshooting later on. Trust me, I know from experience.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:41 AM

^^Im in full agreement^^
Eventhough I pull the engine out of my Mustang every winter to nut and bolt it or do seals I go through the same procedure.Pictures,alot of labels more pictures then mark, then more pictures. I have the manual but like they say a picture is worth 1000 words. Take your time and you should have a pleasnt experience, rush through it and youll never want to do it again.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brysawn
I'm pulling my motor to rebuild it. I have had this Truck for about 3 weeks now, and never had a Toyota previous to this. Which is why I may seem clueless, I have never pulled a Toyota motor. I've had Subaru's previous to this, which is quite different. I would like to learn through this process, so I'd appreciate help and not criticism. And from my picture, my radiator is out, so my fluids are drained. Next I'll be doing my power steering stuff, trans, and move onto vacuum lines when the motor is out. I know to label everything and take pictures. Thanks
Calling you clueless may be a bit insensitive, lol, but the intent was probably not mean-spirited. Since you're asking whether you remove vac lines before or after pulling the motor, you're revealing that you don't have experience in motor replacement. ocdropzone may have been warning you that you may not have the skills/experience necessary to do the job, and could be getting yourself into trouble. I took it as a "look before you leap" warning, which I would second. My rec would be to try to find someone with experience who would be willing to help you.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by sb5walker
Calling you clueless may be a bit insensitive, lol, but the intent was probably not mean-spirited. Since you're asking whether you remove vac lines before or after pulling the motor, you're revealing that you don't have experience in motor replacement. ocdropzone may have been warning you that you may not have the skills/experience necessary to do the job, and could be getting yourself into trouble. I took it as a "look before you leap" warning, which I would second. My rec would be to try to find someone with experience who would be willing to help you.
It's cool guys. I've almost got it, all I've got left is my power steering stuff and my exhaust manifold. Everything else is labeled and removed. I'm a newb to Toyota's but not to cars/motors. Here is my daily driver (100% built by me)

It has a ej22 from a 2nd gen legacy, 2" body lift front 2" suspension rear, 6-lug 6x5.5 pattern, LSD with 4.10 gears, 27" general grabber at2's, gl transfercase, and a bunch more. The hubs were milled by me, the lift was made from scratch by me, I swapped and wired the ej, my transfercase and everything else. Point being; I understand how motors and swaps work, I'm just new here, so be nice

Last edited by brysawn; 05-08-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's rallyicious!
Old 05-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Eh... it's a Subaru station wagon... with pretty cool running gear... None the less its still a subaru station wagon. Sorry bro, there's nothin cool about that IMO. It's great though that you've done something very few would even imagine. Not only do you admit to having a Subaru station wagon as your daily driving, but you've custom built your mods. Way cool in my book.

By the way, for you guys that can swap a motor in the dark with one hand tied behind your back,
Old 05-08-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by brysawn
Today I'll be pulling my motor. What is the simplest way to go about this?
Its a 22re out of a 91 pickup. I don't think the truck has a/c, so I shouldn't have to worry about that. But I'll be taking pictures and labeling everything, I thought I read something about taking the intake off so I don't have to mess with vacuum lines?
Its been a couple years since I did mine but 2 things stand out.
Loosen up the main crank pully bolt while the engine is still connected. Its on very tight. Searching this should help.

Disconnect the wiring harness at the ecu and remove it in one piece.

Good luck
Old 05-08-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by LITLRED
Loosen up the main crank pully bolt while the engine is still connected. Its on very tight. Searching this should help.
Yes, also get an impact socket for this. I'm about 6' 2" 235 or so and I snapped two different non-impact sockets trying to do mine. I had a 2 foot pipe on a 1/2" breaker bar. Things got violent and breakage occurred.

By the way, I dig your Subaru. They were the official car of New England there for awhile. I loved my ej22 Outback Sport. It had 214K on it when I sold it and it absolutely loved being beat on.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:15 PM

yup... subarus are great when you don't need to off road/crawl... they work fine for snow and dirt roads, plus they will always handle better than trucks on the road

but as far as off roading, nothing beats trucks hands down
Old 05-08-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Identify stuff

[quote=Resto-noob;51718411]Yes, also get an impact socket for this. I'm about 6' 2" 235 or so and I snapped two different non-impact sockets trying to do mine. I had a 2 foot pipe on a 1/2" breaker bar. Things got violent and breakage occurred.

And then some. I'm not nearly that large, but when pulling the x-member off the 94 I bought (for seemingly good 3), it litterally took me 2 hrs to get all 8 bolts off. After soaking 1+ day w/ penetrant. breaker bar AND the pipe for a full 2 turns. Then the entire rest of way w/ the 1/2" ratchet AND still with the pipe. (Snap-on is expensive, but you get what you pay for.)

OH, and put fasteners, small parts in LABELED bags. Don't be a dumbass like yours-truly and set even 1 of 'em down thinkin "I'll 'mber where that one goes!". Not.

(Off topic, but this is a great forum)
Old 05-08-2011, 07:44 PM

for big projects like this, air tools is a real savior
Old 05-08-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Badger62811
Eh... it's a Subaru station wagon... with pretty cool running gear... None the less its still a subaru station wagon. Sorry bro, there's nothin cool about that IMO. It's great though that you've done something very few would even imagine. Not only do you admit to having a Subaru station wagon as your daily driving, but you've custom built your mods. Way cool in my book.

By the way, for you guys that can swap a motor in the dark with one hand tied behind your back,
I didn't say it was a good wheeler, or that I wheeled it. It's a Subaru wagon, the lift, wheels, and tires are pretty much cosmetic. Although it is built to handle anything, it won't see off a road too often. The axles are like pencils and it has next to no travel. So lets not get confused on what I'm saying. It's just fun to have something different to drive to and from work. The crawling is what I have my Toyota for

Now lets get back to topic here. Thanks for the input guys

Last edited by brysawn; 05-08-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:16 PM

when i took mine out (wouldn't move off the tc) so i stripped it down unbolted the tranny cross member and slide it right out the tunnel. (then it fell apart) 2bl made all the diffrence.

Quick Reply: Pulling my motor. Any advice?